Top Gear Mistakes/Gaffs

I sometimes wonder what state of mind you must have to detect such things, while watching an entertainment show...

It's like a friend I have. She likes to make comments like "That's illogical" in the middle of movies. And when I ask her puzzled "What do you mean?", she reveals a thought process, that would never occur to me.

Like for example when we watched "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban":

She: That's illogical now.
Me: What is illogical?
She: When he transformed from rat to human, he had is clothes on. But when he transforms to rat again, his clothes stay the same size and he shrinks into them.
Me: Huh? You blame a movie about a magical parallel world, where mythological creatures like werevolves exist, for being illogical?
She: Yeah.
Me: OKay, that guy is a wizard. He probably can transform himself with and without clothing. How about that?
She: Mmmmmm...

And then silence.

Last edited:
During the lone appearance of the Crock/Classic board in S03E05, Hammond drives the Mercedees 190E Cosworth and states that ? In fact, in its day Martin Brundle said that this had one of the best handling saloon car chassis anywhere in the world.? However, when James repeats this in S15E02 while his car was being tested, both JC and Hammond claim he never said anything of the sort?which was then confirmed with a quick call to Brundle.

I suppose Jeremy's biggest mistake (or should I call it misjudgement) was to categorically say in the news of a very early episode of the new Top Gear, that the Bugatti Veyron will never ever work.

You mean the "Bugatti Veryon"

After he drove the Robin, the next week the Bubble car which has one wheel at the back, two at the front which is great... but the door is at the front.

Problem solved.

peel+p50.jpg

:blink:

During the lone appearance of the Crock/Classic board in S03E05, Hammond drives the Mercedees 190E Cosworth and states that ? In fact, in its day Martin Brundle said that this had one of the best handling saloon car chassis anywhere in the world.? However, when James repeats this in S15E02 while his car was being tested, both JC and Hammond claim he never said anything of the sort?which was then confirmed with a quick call to Brundle.
James said that Brundle said the 190E Cosworth had the best engine.

Watch it again. James said, "I was just saying, really, how Martin Brundle said that was, really, the finest rear-drive chassis he had ever driven."

Was it? I'll have to rewatch it. I'm sorry, you're right, my bad.

Last edited:
Just remembered another:

JC's (excellent) review of the Golf V GTI. He makes a good point about the original's styling being great because its sporting details are like great makeup: There, but not so as you'd notice. And then uses a rather vulgar, "pimped" silver Mk I GTI with gold BBS-wheels to prove his point .. :D

^ Fast forward to 2:27

Well man. It was the 80's. And I am sure that golf was selected cuz It was one of the best in shape in britain. In fact that very same golf has been featured on other Clarkson DVDs. Apart from the fact that BBS wheels are so popular in VW owner circles that you can even call the stock.

Last edited:
From the Albania trip.. The car was a Zastava 101 with Kosovo plates. The Yugo Skala 55 is the name of the top spec model.

James said: "It's a Yugo". That's like saying Ford Mondeo Ghia is a "Ghia" or just a "Gh".

Doesn't matter really :|

Not necessarily a mistake, but the Gumpert's presence on the power lap board violates their rules about not allowing cars that can't get over speed bumps.

In reality I know it's because it makes good TV to have a new top car every season and you don't want something like the Comparo on there that will be tough to beat with a "normal" supercar, so they had to come up with an excuse to get rid of it. To that end I'm surprised they allowed the V8 Atom on there, but I guess since they allowed the original Atom on the board they had to.

Last edited:
He does have a point still. That speed read-out is fucking ridiculously tiny.

Not really - at least not how one would expect a 458 to be driven, which is reflected in Ferrari's IP layout that emphasizes the tachometer above all. And while I don't own an F458 and haven't fiddled with its LCDs, I have a hard time believing there's no variable display configuration that would make the speed more prominent in either secondary screen.

I do enjoy TopGear UK and find it to be very entertaining - but almost entirely as fiction and only coincidentally useful, as either consumer or enthusiast. In fact, many recent episodes seem to center on how much budget the hosts can spend making travelogues.

I'm certain I'd produce a less popular show overall - but were it up to me, I'd make news and celebrity lap times the cornerstones, with at least 2 detailed (and accurate) comparative product reviews allowing the silliness to consume whatever time may be left - rather than focusing only on the silliness and lap times and fitting-in the rest with whatever time remain.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd have MUCH preferred wasted "Specials" like the drive to Bethlehem to have been dedicated toward the tour of Lotus, TVR and Jensen. The whole Stig-in-a-manger punch-line could've been delivered with a 5-minute set-up.

I sometimes wonder what state of mind you must have to detect such things, while watching an entertainment show...

Yes, it's "entertainment" - but its entire pretense is informational.

Something that's always annoyed me. At the end of the piece on the Smart Roadster Clarkson complains that the car is far more expensive in the UK and he hates getting ripped off.

The reason the car was more expensive in the UK was because it came with a huge range of extras as standard and actually featured a larger engine. To buy the same spec as the UK base model from Europe would have cost just as much.

I do enjoy TopGear UK and find it to be very entertaining - but almost entirely as fiction and only coincidentally useful, as either consumer or enthusiast. In fact, many recent episodes seem to center on how much budget the hosts can spend making travelogues.

Would you also prefer The Simpsons as a live-action show with a laugh track? You basically stated you don't enjoy Top Gear's premise.