United States presidential election, 2008 - election day poll

• John McCain

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 95 72.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry Johnny. Palin ruined it for you :p

I love election nights - whether it be local or parliamentary elections here in the UK, your presidential elections or even the elections I have to sit through, write a live blog for and cover in Jersey.

The big question though, the really important one is - what TV network will you be watching the results on and which website willl you be using?

I'm leaning towards an all out BBC sweep.

I hate these nights.
Okey... there is one interesting or rather depressing news at... lets say 18:00. But then they repeat and repeat and repeat every tiny comment over and over and over and over and over and over.
And it's on all channels at the same time. You cant get anything different since you do now get a DVD from your DVD shelf and start watching that.

I was at the local polling place for nearly THREE HOURS. The line looped around the building, far before the polls opened. -_-

On a plus side, I was legally able to skip my classes this morning. :D

What? Really? (I mean the long wait time)

PS: @Clegg: How does it work in your state? What's the procedure?

Last edited:
I?m just glad it?ll all be over tomorrow ...

Well, this poll has conclusively shown who has the edge in the President of Earth race.

I was at the local polling place for nearly THREE HOURS. The line looped around the building, far before the polls opened. -_-

On a plus side, I was legally able to skip my classes this morning. :D

I had to wait about thirty minutes to vote, but the line looked to be about 5 minutes long when I left. Several of my coworkers had to wait about 2 hours, but they showed up before the polls opened so.

Not that it really matters though[...]

Like said before, thats very very very very dangerous. I see it here all the time. Many people are somehow frustrated. There isn't any option that they fully support but there is some party they are strongly opposed to.
So in their frustration they do not go to vote but all the supporters of the radical parties like the communist party here go and so a small number brings big harm over the whole population just because too many people where "too sure" :?

I wonder why you have those long lines in the US? Voting never took me longer than 10 minutes and that includes waiting time. Too few polling sites, or is it the identity verification that takes so much time?

I wonder why you have those long lines in the US? Voting never took me longer than 10 minutes and that includes waiting time. Too few polling sites, or is it the identity verification that takes so much time?

No, it's that we are having record voter turnouts in every single district.

C'mon, you could have at least put "other" on this poll.

Not a fan of either McCain or Obama (but I would prefer the latter). But I still LOVE Sarah Palin.

McCain by process of elimination and possibly listening to too much talk radio.

It really annoys the shit out of me when people complain about standing in line to vote. Instead of bitching at the next election, take your butt down to the election board and volunteer to be part of the solution... what a novel concept!

It's more of a volume issue. Checking ID they just compare your name and address to what you have written down so ten seconds at most. Then I waited in line to be issued data card, it took the guy 15 seconds to compare my name and info on the voter rolls to what I had written down and then registered my data card with that info. Then I waited in line for an open computer, there were about a dozen machines in the precinct and it took me about 3 minutes to go through the ballot. I live in a suburb / rural area, more populated areas such as Atlanta proper are going to have 50+ machines or just a greater concentration of polling places.

How could it be a volume issue when the US has one of the lowest voter turnouts in the western world. We here in Germany usually reach levels of 70% and there are hardly any waiting lines. Maybe it's the big cities. We don't really have any of those. :think:

How could it be a volume issue when the US has one of the lowest voter turnouts in the western world. We here in Germany usually reach levels of 70% and there are hardly any waiting lines. Maybe it's the big cities. We don't really have any of those. :think:

Turnout in 2004 was 61%. I've heard they are expecting somewhere around 90% this year though that number could be straight out of someone's rear for all I know.

Voted for McCain. I don't know how the election will go, and frankly by this point don't really care. The real important votes I care about are for local offices, Governor, and representatives.

How ironic - here, coddled in my cozy college environment, I haven't heard anything about local offices or governor candidates. Only yesterday were we bombarded with Dan Maffei/Obama flyers that didn't give any information on why we should vote for the guy, just how to use a voting machine. Not exactly much to make an informed decision, is it? I suspect a lot of college kids registered here will be surprised.