US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Heh, he could read a few of our uni's new publications on aircraft cabin fire simulations. But who knows if he'd understand... :lol:

It's funny, but I don't care. What I do care about, though, is this:

This election is won or lost in the swing states, more than most in Ohio. Latest poll in the New York Times this morning is saying Obama is winning Florida by 9 points. He's winning Ohio with 10. Not to mention all the other states he's apparantly ahead in, I've been following the averages over the last couple of weeks, and the trend is uncanny. Obama is ahead in almost every swing state, including Ohio, even in Rasmussen polls. The last big swing state I saw Romney ahead in was Florida. And that was about a week ago.

Yeah, it's too close to call, but if those were betting odds, I know where I would put my money. I think we might as well ignore the premise of this thread and start to debate who will run on the republican and democratic ticket four years from now.

Ron Paul might run. If he's alive then. He'll be 91 in 2016. So if he gets two terms, he'll move out of the White house when he's 99. That'll happen..

No, Jeb Bush is probably a good bet. Same for Chris Christie if he plays his cards right. Condy Rice might try it, I'd love to see a ticket with her and Colin Powel, that would really mess up the electoral math. Seriously, Powel/Rice sounds sort of interesting. Won't happen. But would be very interesting.

Other than that, the GOP might try a latino candidate. But I don't know about that either. Michelle Bachmann might try throwing her hat in, she'll probably do well in the South and the Midwest even four years from now, but she'll tank on the East Coast and in California.

I don't know really.

Anyhow, there is more than one election in November. What do my honorable friends think about the House and the Senate?

Latest poll in that particular race was done by Rasmussen on september 12th, and has McCaskill up by six points. I'd say Akin's not winning.

It's not like it's the Washington post or anything, Rasmussing is supposed to lean to the republicans, after all.

Problem is they're both black. And that will have an effect on parts of the republican base. A lot has happened in the last ten years, but I just don't know if the GOP will be ready for two African-Americans on the ticket. I really don't.

I think that Americans are crying out for a clever President with good ideas. You guys seem to think that they are racists - they are not, may be a few are but that is the same anywhere.

We guys? :p

I know most republicans aren't racists. But I also know that racism still exists in the South. And I think the democratic party's base has less problems with a black president than the republican base.

Doesn't mean there are less racists in the democratic party. But the base is unpredictable when it comes to race.

It is about time the GoP realised who are the majority in the country now and who will be in the very near future.

WASPs 0 : 1 Everyone Else.

They need to become relevant to people who are not necessarily white protestant christians, or they will die out. (An example of a similar event - the British Liberal Party.)

I think that Americans are crying out for a clever President with good ideas. You guys seem to think that they are racists - they are not, may be a few are but that is the same anywhere.

Yes, yes we are.

We guys? :p

I know most republicans aren't racists. But I also know that racism still exists in the South. And I think the democratic party's base has less problems with a black president than the republican base.

Doesn't mean there are less racists in the democratic party. But the base is unpredictable when it comes to race.

It is not just the south where racism is alive.

I think the dems are already planning on running a Hispanic candidate. I can't remember his name, but he seems a bit like Obama 2.0 to me. Fresh congress critter, speaks well, not white, and I think he made a speech at the convention too.

I think the dems are already planning on running a Hispanic candidate. I can't remember his name, but he seems a bit like Obama 2.0 to me. Fresh congress critter, speaks well, not white, and I think he made a speech at the convention too.

If you're thinking of Julian Castro, I believe he is a mayor of some city somewhere.

I think that Americans are crying out for a clever President with good ideas. .

Yes, yes we are.

Dunno where I heard this, but I thought that Americans, particularly Republicans had a distrust of any possible presidential candiates who were too smart. This was attributed to Nixon in the post-Watergate era, but even before that he was dubbed "tricky Nicky".

I suppose that Watergate affair was a long time ago and much of the voter-base most affected at the time has died out. Voters in their 20s & 30s, etc. know it only as a recent history story.

:smile:

(OK, I'll go back to the RT Political History Thread now. :lol:)

Nixon and Murdoch are pretty similar, both are vehemently oposed to elitism. That's why Murdoch supports pretty much any "folksy" idea.

Wow!

Dunno where I heard this, but I thought that Americans, particularly Republicans had a distrust of any possible presidential candiates who were too smart. This was attributed to Nixon in the post-Watergate era, but even before that he was dubbed "tricky Nicky".

I suppose that Watergate affair was a long time ago and much of the voter-base most affected at the time has died out. Voters in their 20s & 30s, etc. know it only as a recent history story.

:smile:

(OK, I'll go back to the RT Political History Thread now. :lol:)

Slight correction - and I was sort of there - Tricky Dickie (Dick diminutive of Richard). He was the fool that did the ping pong diplomacy, got a lot to answer for.

Paul Ryan - should in my judgement show loyalty even if he thinks the Romney's campaign is toxic, if he did not like it he should not have agreed to stand for vice Pres.

Last edited: