What's going on with the server?

I don't know if it has something to do with what you guys have done but the last two days Finalgear has not been working on my iPod Touch :(

I don't know if it has something to do with what you guys have done but the last two days Finalgear has not been working on my iPod Touch :(
Could you be a bit more specific? "Not working" doesn't tell us much ;)

It just doesn't load the page and after about 5 minutes it says "Could not load page" :|

Probably using old dns settings. Give it a few hours then try again.

Current server config:
Dell Poweredge 6950
Quad (4) AMD Dual Core Opteron 8220 2.8GHZ
16GB DDR2-667
3x 73GB 15k SAS (Raid5)
2x 500GB 7.2k SATA

One of the sas drives failed, so it's down to a degraded raid. We have needed to reload the server for a while, so I guess this is the time to do it..

We are looking into either replacing the sata drives+failed sas and making it a 5-drive raid, or getting an external SAN/SAS array. Either way is expensive..

Last edited:
Slap a big, fat Donate button on the front page and top of the forums then?

Not sure, but the new drives are on their way (I believe we're replacing all of the drives while we're at it to increase space as we were running out).

Quiky will know for sure.

I hope you aren't ordering new ones all from the same manufacturer. Might get them all from the same batch which will increase the likelihood of them all dying at the same time.

Anyhow I'd gladly donate towards upgrading to a more robust raid solution. It would be snazy if you could keep the site running while a drive is in the process of being replaced. Would you need a new case to fit the additional drives?

I hope you aren't ordering new ones all from the same manufacturer. Might get them all from the same batch which will increase the likelihood of them all dying at the same time.

Anyhow I'd gladly donate towards upgrading to a more robust raid solution. It would be snazy if you could keep the site running while a drive is in the process of being replaced. Would you need a new case to fit the additional drives?
1 drive is being replaced under warranty.

We're still deciding on the rest

Current server config:
Dell Poweredge 6950
Quad (4) AMD Dual Core Opteron 8220 2.8GHZ
16GB DDR2-667
3x 73GB 15k SAS (Raid5)
2x 500GB 7.2k SATA

One of the sas drives failed, so it's down to a degraded raid. We have needed to reload the server for a while, so I guess this is the time to do it..

We are looking into either replacing the sata drives+failed sas and making it a 5-drive raid, or getting an external SAN/SAS array. Either way is expensive..
What's the partition schema/HDD usage look like? Is that just a forum box, or is stuff like phyrefile hosted on it, too?

Everything was hosted on it; FinalGear+Forums, PhyreFile, Viper's sites, OpenStreetMap's T@H, and a few smaller sites. It's a beast, except it's physically limited to 5-drive bays. We have to add a new SAS/SATA controller and an addon array in order to gain more space.

The server is technically fine, and we could run everything while replacing the drive, however PacketCollision and I have decided to completely reload the server. It's been running a messy install of Ubuntu 7.04 since October '07, and not the most secure. We are planning on switching to ESXi, or KVM and virtualizing the sites hosted in order to increase security and redundancy by splitting up the hosted sites. Granted, we would not have quite the same performance from the VM as we would running natively on the system, but that should be an acceptable tradeoff for security. With the hosted sites, our cpu usage has always been low(With the exception of tiles@home, which is moving from the server within a few days).

(Red = Folding@Home, and the big blue+green spikes from late-september on has been tiles@home)
https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2009/04/13/titan.finalgear.com-cpu-year.png

(And if anyone has experience with storage arrays, please speak up and give us some input!)

Last edited:
actually, I like the current "FG lite" theme... no avatars is fun in some way...

Last edited:
Since the server troubles have surfaced, I have a weird problem: a lot of pages on this forum don't show.

I have no problem with entering threads via the "new posts". But as soon as I try to go back a page in that thread, or if I just enter a thread normally by browsing the forum, the browser just presents me an empty page. I can reload as much as I like, but the browser just loads for one or two seconds and then goes back to the empty page. It doesn't always happen, but it happens quite regularly. The URL that shows up in the adress bar is perfectly fine. It's like the forum doesn't find the page and just gives up. And the threads this happens with change all the time.

Does anybody else experience this, too?

Last edited:
I'm getting a 5 min. 'loading from whos.amung.us' every time I post :(

edit: except for this one ofcourse :rolleyes:

Small update;
Titan's been reloaded, and the new vm is setup; Atlas.

FinalGear.com is now on Atlas, and we are doing a few tests to make sure it will survive. The forums will move to Atlas tomorrow sometime.. switching back is a slow process due to the 1gb database I need to push over.

I'll make a pretty diagram for those interested in seeing what we have done.