Ownership Verified: We can rebuild it... we have the technology (7 - take two)

Yeah, it's not ideal. I can _just_ reach it, but it requires some contortion. Probably not possible with belts fastened. Actually I was hoping it would turn itself on with ignition, but apparently it can't do it :( It can only power down with ignition off. Or am I mistaken? Any TomTom users? :)

If your TomTom unit warranty period is over or you're brave :), I'd go as far as suggesting to take it apart. Lose the casing, mount the main assembly in the dash directly, wire the audio output and radio antenna (does yours have one of those? My TomTom ONE XL did, for RDS/TMC reception) properly, and wire the on-off switch to somewhere nicely accessible or directly into ignition.

Well, that was ambitious but rubbish :lol:

Just tried it outside, no satellite lock from within the aluminium dash.

it doesnt have external antenna for it?

MXM, in case you want to dash-mount sth else, I have an absolutely kick ass Bluetooth GPS mouse collecting dust here, a Holux gpslim 236, if you want it I can bring it to Ringmeet :)

Right, so it works fine outside of the dash. Doesn't look as cool, and I have no idea how to attach it yet. On the plus side: power button is exposed.

Last edited:
There's a hole behind the tomtom, D-Fence, so there's nothing really to velcro it to. The mount fits through the hole neatly, but I haven't figured how to attach it there. In the "inside" position I taped it to the steering column (pic below), won't work in this case.

EDIT: Of course, the corners are touching the dash, so I could velcro around the hole...

Last edited:
The easiest solutions are the best. I recommend you get a plate with velcro too so you can cover the hole while leaving the car, exposed wires & hole in dash might lead to mischief..........
As well, can you actually hear the TomTom with helmet on? Wouldn't it be easier to create a permanent holder for your phone in that spot?

As well, can you actually hear the TomTom with helmet on?

a) Just headphones, not the helmet, and b) why would I need to hear the tomtom?

And what do you expect the exposed wires might cause? It's not like the car is very secure anyway :) I didn't even plan of removing the TomTom during the trip, of course now that it's on the outside I might reconsider. But generally speaking, there will be a whole lot of stuff attached to the car that can be removed with not very much effort. So the only solution is just not to leave the car too far away for too long, really. Or hide critical stuff in someone else's car.

I meant more of idiots just ripping the cables out. As well, I have no clue how sensitive your insurance is towards open wires for ignition ;)

I have no insurance yet, except mandatory. I can't get one automatically, there's a review process for a car as old as this. I showed it to my insurance company today, they promised to tell me the decision by Monday.

Also, the TomTom velcro seems to work.

Last edited:
Peltors for the driver and passenger, along with a very good intercom, mobile phone connectivity, walkie talkie hookup, instant podcast streaming (or spotify).

This arrangement in all its relative simplicity is a raises the comfort value or this rather spartan vehicle into something rivalling, I dunno, a normal car? Awesome setup, couldn't imagine a Seven without it.

There's still one unsolved problem. When I went home I tested a phone conversation, and I had to yell as loud as I can so that the other party could just hear me. It's clear that my HTC is expecting some other sound levels on the mic input. Output is spot on. This will do for now, but ultimately I have to mod phone output in the intercom, maybe put a small amp in-line. Just don't have time to do it for the ring trip.

Unless, there's some hackery possibly to internally boost the headset mic volume in Android, that would be acceptable. I'll investigate :)

Also, it was raining, and I'm happy to report that roof stays on at 100 km/h, and the car is almost waterproof. The bigger problem which remains is the fogging of the windshield due to poor (none) air circulation inside the car, but I'm going to try some anti-fog chemicals.

After some shotgunning I can confirm the car seems to be just as sweet as it looks like! And the intercom/radio/music system is a great invention.

medium

frankiess testing my MX-5 in the front. That didn't have any chances in corners and I was really suprised how the 7 went when MXM floored it for a short time before we had to slow down because of the MX-5. I need that turbo :p

medium

The Mazda was also loosing at the cuteness competition! :)

medium

Putting the roof up.

medium

medium

Edit: I can only imagine what everybody would say if Miata driver would choose the gas station because its colour suits the car, but a 7 driver can apparently do it! :p

medium

Huge thanks for that shotgun! :) And also mad respect for driving that thing to the 'ring. It's much more comfortable than you'd guess at least for passanger, but still it's a long way in a small car, but I'm sure 100% worth it.

Last edited: