[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
I bet some "nice special prize" for TG and i think they were in rubbish conditions. Nevertheless episode quite nice, whole should get an 8, but even staged Police Car bit must score a 10 :D And the preview video my god ! 8C Competizione :heart: The japanese special ( James driving strange car :D ), the road not track test of CLK Amg Black, hopefully some more interesting stunts including rover's and mg's, powersliding Bentley ( no powersliding Ferraris around though ) and of course creme de la creme the WW III and the cheap Alfas :D

Holy! The Police Car Challenge was awesome!

Not as good as the Africa trip (Possibly the best thing on Top Gear, ever) but it was really brilliant!

I'd give it an 8/10!

Can't wait for the cheap alfa challenge :p

Last edited:
I am a bit drunk and over-joyed that Spain won today, and now I get to come home to a brand new episode of Top Gear. What a lovely day.

Cheers :)

I think this episode was really really good.

The fuel economy stuff with the supercars was pure hilarious nonsense.

In this episode, Top Gear stuntman did what most of you found hilarious in previous series but find annoying and pointless now, I thought it was really enjoyable ! :-D

As usual the news segment was really entertaining and funny.

I like the 430 Scuderia very much and I think the review really showed what the car is all about.

Didn't watched the SIARPC because I don't who those guys are. I rarely watch this segment anyway so it didn't ruin anything for me.

The challenge was the most funny part though, the blokes are geniuses when it comes to be rubbish !

Something Strange

Something Strange

As others have said, there was a strange feel to this episode. It felt more like they were acting than usual. Usually it seems like it is three guys just doing the show. This one felt somehow contrived.

One of the things that I didn't get was how Clarkson could find a Fiat Coupe (20v turbo) for only ?900. The cheapest I could find was ?3700 without MOT or tax... Same with how James could find a lexus like that.

I can find a few for about ?1,100 you might be able to get ?200 knocked off that. There are a few cheap Lexi (alan partridge reference) around the ?1000 mark. What I'm surprised about is that Hammond gave money to someone for that Suzuki and not the other way round.

I very enjoyed the episode esp as a season opener.Im going to cut up the prius clip to show my Stats teacher

One of the things that I didn't get was how Clarkson could find a Fiat Coupe (20v turbo) for only ?900. The cheapest I could find was ?3700 without MOT or tax... Same with how James could find a lexus like that.

I imagine it may have gone something like this...

"Hi, I'm ringing about the car ad."
"Oh, hi - yes, well it's up for ?3700."
"Hmm, well, I'm Jeremy Clarkson and if you sell it to me for ?900, I'll put it on Top Gear."
"...Done."

I thought the episode was great - didn't really see the point in the supercars race at the start, but it's Top Gear, it's got to have supercars in it at some point. Prius V BMW made a good point which JC re-inforced. It's how you drive it that matters.

SIARPC was... well, it wasn't great. Alan Carr's funny, but he just wasn't on form - I don't find JLC funny at all, so he was just...there. Their laps times really weren't great either. Let's hope that the other guests are more 'car' orientated so they actually want to come out of it nearer the top of the table.

Stuntman... I really, really hope that it isn't just a case of 'here's a guy crashing into things!' every week. That'll get dull so fast. If they actually get him doing cool stuff, it'll work.

Cop Cars - Fab. "Barbie cop" made me laugh out loud, James being crap at being flambouant and Jeremy crapping himself when his wheel thing failed to stop the Stig. Hilarious.

Looking forward to the rest of this series, am a bit disappointed it's only six episodes though - the guys taking on Japan looks brilliant.

Anyone in the studio for filming? what was on the screens in the news? I so want to know!!

Did anyone notice that the block they're using as the table has 10 cylinders?

vlcsnap-421178.png

Something is missing. :)

I gave it an 8. Nothing truly outstanding, but man was I laughing hard at the cop segment. Welcome back Top Gear, you're awesome. <3

The episode was not spezial.
The Cool Wall is missing, no comments about the new sofa....
There were some bad cuts in the challange. (Hamsters stinger).
The preview was good!
Fuel economy fun, an police car was fun!
Result: Solid but not spezial...

I think the Koeniggseggt withe the TG Spoiler is missing! And you can only see a long name like koenigsegg far down...

Last edited:
Oh god
Oh god
the chicken and icecream sounds
oh god I can't stop laughing
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There was a different feel to it - I can't define it. It wasn;t better or worse than preceding episodes, but different.

Oh - if Mr Wilman is reading: no more of that very dark filter or whatever (I don't pretend to be an expert ;)) on the 430 Scuderia test - I see why it was done like that, but too shadowy: excessive chiaroscuro.

GFT. I thought the same when i saw some of the tests in season 10 (VXR 8, anone?). The original f430 review was fantastic, it had a filter that made the skies look delicious. The one used in the scuderia clip made the car look somehow stained.. Also, we dont want artsy widescreen shots of a shaking camera shooting a moving car.. Just give us a nice stationary camera and lots of powerslides.. On that front, the Bentley brooklands/arnage clip that will be coming later in the series, should do better (judging by the teaser clip thing)

The police cars were a bit meh, they could have done a better job. Firstly, dont script anything, actual carnage with ramming and smoking tires would have worked better, rather than a purposefully failed J-turn, which we couldn't see.. Luckily Jeremy Obliged with some ramraiding in the "finale" :D

SIARPC - WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!

Fuel economy bit was a brilliant start to the series, and I for one actually believe that the m3 vs. prius could be authentic. Btw, did anyone else gasp when they showed "the luckiest man in the world" picture -I thought it was great..:|

What else.. what else.. Oh yeah, the stunt thingy! I thought it was a bit pointless, I hope the "Top Gear Stuntman" will be used sparingly, and in appropriate moments, not for a 5 minute clip of a 30-something-year old car reversing...

My verdict, a low 8, It was alright, but it would have been ridiculously easy for Willman & co. to make this an excellent start to a new series, as it is, its lacking somewhat. Anyways, glad to see them back!:p