Are you a proper petrolhead?

alfaspider78

Who here can past the test and show they are a proper petrolhead, lets see your Alfas.

My 78 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
78spider.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.**/img147/2192/dsc00035ex0.jpg

Crappy phone camera pic but it's all I have online at the moment. Your Spider looks to be in beautiful condition :thumbup:

I WOULD have had a 156, but 4 hours after the test drive Mrs Hersworksfinetoo did a wee-wee on a stick and we ended up with a third child and a Fiat Multipla! Best part is the car was first registered 8th Feb 2002, and the daughter whose impending arrival caused us to buy it was born 8th Feb 2006.

Still awaiting Mulder and Scully, especially Scully!!!!

Argh. My dad has a 159 (which i pursuaded him to buy) but i have no pic.

Anyway its a Red 2.4JDtm Lusso with tan leather and 18" seven hole design alloy wheels. I'll try and get a pic :)

Argh. My dad has a 159 (which i pursuaded him to buy) but i have no pic.

Anyway its a Red 2.4JDtm Lusso with tan leather and 18" seven hole design alloy wheels. I'll try and get a pic :)

That is a devastatingly attractive combo apart from the oil-burning engine :p

I drive a 159 from work on a semi-occasional basis. Does that count?

I had a Spider Graduate for six weeks. One of the worst cars I ever owned; I bought it to flip it and I was relieved when some old Baby Boomer with delusions of Dustin Hoffmanism took it off my hands. I don't even remember what year that POS was.

I have to disagree with Jeremy, James and Richard. Owning an Alfa is not proof of petrolhead status. Especially since there are a ton of people who own Alfas and have no clue as to how they work or how to repair them. And Alfas suck.

Petrolhead status should be determined by how many vehicles you have partially or fully dismantled and reconstructed successfully.

Petrolhead status should be determined by how many vehicles you have partially or fully dismantled and reconstructed successfully.

No! Being a petrolhead has nothing to do with being a mechanic, it has more to do with being completely in love with cars, knowing a lot about them and taking great care of them.

Oh yes. It's just disguised as a stodgy Nissan Bluebird.. :whistle:

I have to disagree with Jeremy, James and Richard. Owning an Alfa is not proof of petrolhead status. Especially since there are a ton of people who own Alfas and have no clue as to how they work or how to repair them. And Alfas suck.

Proof you simply don't rate.....

I'll have to take a picture of my 'lil Bella (Alfa Romeo Gulia Super)

If having owned a crap car that I still loved regardless of its mechanical shortcomings makes me a "petrolhead", count me in. If it's restricted to Alfas, I'll have to remain excluded.

Quoted for truth. The 75 aside (which I still wouldnt ever own), Id rather pickle my own testes than buy any Alfa.

I have never had an Alfa, but I did help my neighbor get an old spider running... that was a very interesting experience!

That idiot got it running, and then just let it rust away in his yard.

They haven't sold Alfa's here for quite some time. Kind of hard for me to get one even if I wanted.

If they succeed in coming back to the US and bring RWD cars with them, I will certainly be very tempted to buy one.

Though I do have a very strong fetish for Subaru, so maybe not. The STi is hard to beat.

I don't really agree with that. While I've turned my fair share of wrenches on most of the cars I've owned, I've absolutely refused to touch my last few vehicles (with the exception of my MKII Golf). I don't really feel too bad about this, as I had two local shops flat-out refuse to touch the e46 M3 since they didn't know a damn thing about them (Dynosaur and BDJ Racing). Besides, some people might not have the facilities, tools or ability to do their own serious mechanical work.

It's all about the genuine love of the hobby to me. As long as you can honestly say you have that, it's enough of a criteria for me.

I have to agree with this. Add to the fact that (if you are of the age) you have owned a car (or cars) that you love no matter what horrors it puts you through.

My El Camino for instance, I can't afford to insure it, I can't afford to put gas in it, the carb it shot. And I'm pretty sure the engine is on it's way down the tube... but, i still love it! And even though I have to, I can't bear to sell it :cry:

I thought the purpose of the 8C was to re-launch the Alfa brand in the United States?

Any excuse , though after the top gear Alfa test, I guess it's only worth about ?1500
Alfa003.jpg

That's me in the back trying out the (non existant) rear leg room...
Alfa005.jpg

Alfa008.jpg

Alfa009.jpg

Talk about making sacrifices..., this is the boot (trunk)
Alfa013.jpg