One small problem with Gumpert Apollo's lap time

Hammond clearly states you can adjust the ride height.

Doesn't that mean it can get over one if so adjusted?

Hammond clearly states you can adjust the ride height.

Doesn't that mean it can get over one if so adjusted?

The article hints that a softer model will be coming, and that the one in question did not have an adjustable ride height, but I haven't been able to confirm whether it does or not.

I also don't know if speed bump height is regulated in the UK, or if it's as sloppy as it is here in the states.

as far as I know the gumperts all have completely adjustable KW suspensions, just like the Mercedes black series cars. But "adjustable" in this case means that you need tools, time, and ideally you?d need a lift as well... so it doesn?t really count...

as far as I know the gumperts all have completely adjustable KW suspensions, just like the Mercedes black series cars. But "adjustable" in this case means that you need tools, time, and ideally you?d need a lift as well... so it doesn?t really count...

i agree, we have to wait till next season, to find out if it is on the board or not....

The time isn't really on the board, it's on the floor..

They've proven in many reviews that it's usable on the road, but those are not really its primary field.

I think it's fair to say that you could drive it one the road, but need to put some effort in for that.

Unlike the others...

Unlike the others...

Unlike the others it dosnt seem to just have a button that will raise it. Who would want to have to get the tools out and make adjustments each time you want to take you car out. And dont just say leave it all the way up cause that just defeats the point of having a low fast car. Plus over here in .US speed bumps arnt the issue really its dips in the road that get you. My car is like 8in off the ground and it hits a few times a week I would hate something only 4.72in tall. In a few weeks you would have a "superleggera" due to all the parts you knock off.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this from the Radical website:

Radical Sportcars said:
For road use, the SR3's suspension can be raised to miss even the most aggressive speed hump.

This was a car they had on Top Gear, and they removed it. If they want to be fair, than the Apollo should also be removed.

Unlike the others it dosnt seem to just have a button that will raise it. Who would want to have to get the tools out and make adjustments each time you want to take you car out?

Agreed. The "adjustable suspension" in question would have to be adjustable from the cockpit (Lambos, etc), in order for it to qualify.

Besides, you can't pick up Kristen Scott Thomas/Fiona Bruce (sp?) with your car scraping the ground. That simply won't do.

I think you guys missed the point, on the road it is raised and then you lower it back down when you get to the track? why do you need to be able to corner at 140mph on the road?

The Caparo T1 has an adjustable suspension on their "soft" version too, which I am sure is the same put the car on a lift take the tires off and raise it on the coilovers adjustment. But that was banned, I think they just overlooked a silly rule to make the episode seem more exciting.

I think you guys missed the point, on the road it is raised and then you lower it back down when you get to the track? why do you need to be able to corner at 140mph on the road?

We do, but most billionaires (and normal road-going drivers) don't have the tools, skills, time and patience to change the ride height manually. Not very luxurious, having to bend down with a spanner every time you need to go through a town is it?

The Caparo T1 has an adjustable suspension on their "soft" version too, which I am sure is the same put the car on a lift take the tires off and raise it on the coilovers adjustment. But that was banned, I think they just overlooked a silly rule to make the episode seem more exciting.

Which is funny because the Caparo T1 is a British built, road legal car that's barely...barely usable on the public roads, just like the Gumpert, but it absolutely destroyed the record by 7.....7 seconds on a 1:20s track. It just confuses me that Clarkson would let a German car be the king rather than a British car.

And so it's quite confusing that the Gumpert is allowed but the Caparo is not.

I'm totally in agreement. I was thinking this when I saw it the other night. Something which requires taking body panels off the car or a lift and a wrench does not qualify as "adjustable ride height" to a normal driver.

The Gumpert is a track car and should be exempt just like every track car except the Atom - because you can actually drive that over bumps.

They were just trying to end the season with a bang and broke the one rule they had.

Last edited:
Which is funny because the Caparo T1 is a British built, road legal car that's barely...barely usable on the public roads, just like the Gumpert, but it absolutely destroyed the record by 7.....7 seconds on a 1:20s track. It just confuses me that Clarkson would let a German car be the king rather than a British car.

And so it's quite confusing that the Gumpert is allowed but the Caparo is not.

I think it more had to do with the fact the Caparo T1 tried to kill a fellow writer...
Also I cant believe we are debating the rules when we know on the show they are just there for fun =P

yeah does anyone really think there's a real rule for ANYTHING on TG? They even took the Aston Martins out of the fridge a couple of weeks ago, so it really is all random

I think they had to include the car because they planned to have Hammond knock over the board. But I think next season they might go back and take it off... I dunno.

Nereid said:
We do, but most billionaires (and normal road-going drivers) don't have the tools, skills, time and patience to change the ride height manually. Not very luxurious, having to bend down with a spanner every time you need to go through a town is it?
I thought the whole point of the car was that it wasn't a luxurious super car to begin with and only a true enthusiast would buy one