NYC "Operation Sentinel" - Fawks, Orwell unavailable for comment.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/operation.sentinel.nypd.2.793133.html

NYPD's 'Operation Sentinel' To Track EVERYTHING

Radiation Sensors, Surveillance Cameras Used To Screen & Follow Every Vehicle Entering Lower Manhattan

Plan Aims To Provide Security Blanket Against Terrorist Attack

NEW YORK (CBS) ? It's called "Operation Sentinel" and it proves just how far the NYPD will go to protect this city from terrorists. The plan involves some high-tech tracking that is coming under fire from some groups.

New York City is going to great lengths to make sure that bomb-toting terrorists can't reach us.

"New York City is something special," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday. "It's not just a very big city in this world. It is, in many senses, the iconic city. It represents Western Democracy.

As part of the plan the NYPD is creating a huge buffer zone, working with cops in a 50-mile radius of the city. Officials in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Long Island are given radiation detectors to stop terrorists as far away from New York City as possible.

Police also plan to track every vehicle that enters Manhattan.

"We're going to be adding cameras as we go forward," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

That part of that plan calls for photographing and scanning license plates of cars and trucks at all bridges and tunnels. Even small ones like the Willis Avenue Bridge will also be used to detect radiation.

"I don't think it's hyperbole to call this Big Brotherish," said Christopher Dunn of the New York Civil Liberties Union. "The New York City Police Department is creating a huge computer database of the movement of everyone in a vehicle in Manhattan."

Civil libertarians take issue with one aspect of that plan ? data on each vehicle entering Manhattan would be stored for at least one month. Bloomberg, however, defended the idea.

"It is always a balance between freedoms to come and go between civil liberties and security, and I think we pretty much have the balance pretty much right," Bloomberg said.

The reaction of New Yorkers CBS 2 HD spoke to were mixed.

"I guess I would feel safer in light of everything that happened," said Tavis Rivere of Ridgewood, N.J. "The city has been under a lot of, you know, pressures and stuff."

"It's a violation -- I mean it's ridiculous," said Sharday Hill of Teaneck, N.J. "I don't know want everybody or someone knowing where I'm at 24 hours a day."

The city also intends on putting Lower Manhattan in a so-called "ring of steel," with 3,000 public and private security cameras below Canal Street. There will be 600 cops assigned to protect ground zero.

Is it just me, or is that last sentence a bit like closing the barn door after the cows have already left?

"New York City is something special," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday. "It's not just a very big city in this world. It is, in many senses, the iconic city. It represents Western Democracy.

And he stated that with a straight face? :?

This is why I live in small cities or in rural areas.

"New York City is something special," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday. "It's not just a very big city in this world. It is, in many senses, the iconic city. It represents Western Democracy."

motivational_poster_irony.jpg

I would mention that Shenzhen, China has something similar (provided by US-based defense companies, huzzah!), but nobody would find that interesting or surprising.

Then again, guess who they learned from?! The best, of course.

I think I might be making/testing some of the radiation detection systems for this.

I think I might be making/testing some of the radiation detection systems for this.
Sabotage! :twisted:

But seriously, the article I linked to mentioned a company based in CT called L-1...would that have any connection with what you do?

I think they're a competitor actually. I work for Canberra, which is owned my Areva. Canberra is based in CT but Areva is...French(sigh).

Security would be great provided that these cameras could identify the people in the vehicles and their intentions. Now... Even if this entire system were in place on 9/11, monitoring every single vehicle on the roads would do nothing to prevent what had happened.

Make sure pilots have some sort of weapon to fight back with, but more importantly, make airplanes where the cockpit CANNOT be unlocked if the plane is in the air. Yes, everyone in the back might be killed, and that would be very, very bad, but it would be much better than them, and thousands of others dieing.

Let me see - how much does this all cost, and who is paying?

Did anyone get to vote on this proposal, (remember democracy anyone)?

Finally, will it work and how exactly - no terrorist worth his salt is going to advertise the fact, and the present crop are all up for suicide anyhoo? ...

...but if your car gets stolen in New York, the police will still just write a report (or have you phone it in), and never try to locate it or the thief.

Is there honestly a need for a security system like this? It's not like NYC is dealing with terrorist attacks every other week. And even if the system is in place how is it going to stop a suicide bomber with a car full of C4?

Very seldom are people able to vote on actual proposals. Most of the time the government runs free and comes up with policies and ordinances that ordinary people have little say over. Not long ago a proposed housing development went on the ballot here to see if people wanted it. It got voted down but city council tried to go through with it anyway. The joys of representative democracy. :rolleyes:

As I had to point out on another thread, America isn't a democracy. It's a representative republic.

Is there honestly a need for a security system like this? It's not like NYC is dealing with terrorist attacks every other week.
Okay, what weeks will NYC be dealing with terrorist attacks?

Let me see - how much does this all cost, and who is paying?

Finally, will it work and how exactly - no terrorist worth his salt is going to advertise the fact, and the present crop are all up for suicide anyhoo? ...

Its being paid for by me jackass everything in downstate is paid for and bought by upstate.