New car...1984 RX7 GSL-SE

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Just picked up my latest car today. Its a first gen 1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE (fuel injected 13b) I will get pictures when I can get my camera charged, but its in good shape and is all original. Red with black interior, and stock down to the cassette player! Rides and drives really well, and is a little bit faster than my Integra i'd say, but more importantly, I have RWD again!!! I can tell this one is going to be fun. Very good steering feel, perfectly weighted. Pics up soon!

Great car, almost bought one before I bought my 944. Stupid lady sold it out from under my nose.

Just picked up my latest car today. Its a first gen 1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE (fuel injected 13b) I will get pictures when I can get my camera charged, but its in good shape and is all original. Red with black interior, and stock down to the cassette player! Rides and drives really well, and is a little bit faster than my Integra i'd say, but more importantly, I have RWD again!!! I can tell this one is going to be fun. Very good steering feel, perfectly weighted. Pics up soon!

Make sure all your dashboard bulbs are working. Especially the "Replace Engine Now" light....

:D

A 1984 model would be a SA22c or FB in the US. Didn't they come out with a 12a ? Anyways nice car !!!

No the GSL-SE model came with the fuel injected 13b, the "AMG" of the RX7's if you will. Its remarkable that everything works, including cruise control! On a car made in 1984! And Spectre the replace engine now light hasn't come on just yet, I'll let you know though ;)

EDIT: that was supposed to be starfox

Found some pics from the previous owner's site. This is the car. I love it :)

rx71.jpg

rx72.jpg

rx73.jpg

Those will do until I take some better ones.

Last edited:
Very nice toy - they're on my shortlist for a future weekend / track toy. Small, light, RWD, rotary singing it's head off - oh yes :D

Very nice! Congrats!

EDIT:
Make sure all your dashboard bulbs are working. Especially the "Replace Engine Now" light....

:D

That was mean...:lol:

My job was to push it so we could jump start it, then to lead the way back and make sure he didn't get stranded in the event of a breakdown. Then he veers off and goes on a totally different road! What good is that?

What do you think is faster, this car or a new Mazda 3?

Puuuurdy <3 One hell of a nice, clean car. I really appreciate older cars that have been taken care of!

A friend of mine's dad had one of these, and I wanted to buy it so bad. But his dad wanted $8,000(!) for it, back in the late 80's! It was metallic brown, but even that couldn't keep the car from looking good. My friend joked that "GSL" stood for "Gauges, Sunroof & Leather", since the non-GSL's didn't have those features.

Congrats on the find. RX7's of that generation in good shape are rare these days.

Hi. How much power does it get?

Also, what MPG does it get? :p

My friend joked that "GSL" stood for "Gauges, Sunroof & Leather", since the non-GSL's didn't have those features.

:lol:

In Brazil, manufacturers often named the models GLS. When GLS began to be used as an acronym for "Gays, Lesbians and Supporters" they stopped ;)

was it expensive?

How can you afford so many cars? Here in Germany Road Tax and insurance (especially at our age) would eat you up.

EDIT: I need pop-up headlamps in my life... Are there any cars still made with them these days?