2008 Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Given the decision to strap Hamilton of 4 points stays, it'll become really interesting when those 4 points will change the outcome of the championship.

Last year Alonso lost the championship because FIA punished him in Hungary (without applying any existing rule) and Hamilton was quite happy about it. When he was put on the track by a crane he was quite happy too. When he drove recklessly behind the SC at Fuji provoking an accident and nothing happened, when he blocked Kimi on the Brazil GP practice and again, yeah, nothing happened to him.....

The thing is last year the main steward (the other two vary from GP to GP) was a British guy, Tony Scott Andrews, and he allowed Lewis to do pretty much everything he wanted, no rules were applied to him. This year they have changed the steward and as Hamilton was used to preferential treatment he thought he could do everything he wanted too, he was wrong it seems.

Last edited:
^^You just made a whole load of statements which are blatantly wrong. It's useless, don't provoke arguments, we've got enough with the FIA decision anyway. I could disprove every point you just made, but it's no use.

Anyway, back on topic, it's official:

McLaren file official appeal against Hamilton's penalty
09 September 2008

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team filed an official appeal against the penalty handed out to Lewis Hamilton by the race stewards at Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix. Hamilton was given a 25-seconds penalty for cutting the chicane in the final laps of the race.

McLaren believes Hamilton has done nothing wrong in the final stages of the race. McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh explains: "Following our decision to register our intention to appeal the penalty handed out to Lewis Hamilton by the FIA Stewards at the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix, we hereby confirm that we have now lodged notice of appeal."

Hamilton describes the incident as follows: "In the closing stages of the race I was catching Kimi consistently, lap by lap, and with three laps remaining I got close enough to attempt to overtake him on the entry to the last chicane. I managed to get slightly ahead of him in the braking area for the first apex of the chicane. He fought back approaching the second apex - but, in doing so, he left no room for me on the inside line. The only way for me to avoid a collision was therefore to cut inside the second apex.

"I came out of the second apex in front of Kimi and so I momentarily lifted-off on the straight, to ensure that Kimi got back in front. The team also came on the radio and instructed me to allow Kimi to repass, which I had already done. As a result, Kimi crossed the start/finish line ahead of me and 6.7km/h quicker than me.

"After allowing Kimi to completely repass, I crossed from the left side of the track to the right side of the track, passing behind Kimi in the process. I then attacked Kimi on the inside of the first corner, and successfully outbraked him."

Martin Whitmarsh added: "From the pit wall, we then asked Race Control to confirm that they were comfortable that Lewis had allowed Kimi to repass, and they confirmed twice that they believed that the position had been given back in a manner that was 'okay'.

"If Race Control had instead expressed any concern regarding Lewis's actions at that time, we would have instructed Lewis to allow Kimi to repass for a second time."

Last edited:
Leaving aside the incident, that's superb footage. I can't imagine the FIA will let that footage stay up for long though.

Kimi also brakes so much earlier going into the Bus Stop - Hamilton has to jink wide to avoid him. I still don't see anything whatsoever wrong with what Lewis did (hell, he did everything right) - and nor do I, or will I, believe any other driver who says they'd have played the situation differently - they're either full-of-shit lieing, or not worthy of the title of racing driver.

You also get a nice idea of the gain Kimi makes by running all the way around the run-off area at Pouhon, when Lewis rejoined the track as soon as he could.

great footage that

there was no way kimi was ever gonna win that no matter what happened. that ferrari just isnt good in the wet... kimi didnt look very comfortable driving it, and you just get the impression that it wants to swap ends at the drop of a hat, even in a straight line. the mclaren isnt like that.

we saw in silverstone, even on wets, the ferrari just isnt that good in the wet.

In a sensational turnaround, a flash from La Gazzetta dello Sport quotes defending World Champion Kimi Raikkonen as being prepared to testify on behalf of arch rival Lewis Hamilton at the FIA hearing that will result from Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' protest of the penalty imposed on Hamilton after the Belgian Grand Prix. "I don't care what the stewards said, as far as I was concerned, Hamilton let me by as we passed the pits", said Raikkonen in Geneva today. "I got ahead, I tried to defend the position and the race was on again. My car was for sure very difficult on the prime tyres in the rain and Lewis got by me into the hairpin. That was that."

Raikkonen went on, "For sure, I don't like to lose but I don't like to win through stupid decisions. People say I have lost the love (for F1) but yesterday I showed that second was not what I wanted. There are five races to go and I plan to win them all. I'm not the sort to give up that easily."

Asked if he was prepared to testify to that effect if the McLaren protest goes to the FIA, Raikkonen simply said, "Yes, why not."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali declined to comment on Raikkonen's statement but technical director Aldo Costa admitted the Scuderia was not pleased. "Our driver has a view but the team believes the stewards and the FIA have all the information they need. We will be talking to our driver during the week," Costa told Gazzetta dello Sport.

This seems to be making it's way around various F1 forums, not sure if it's true since there is no real report with it so don't hold it with too much weight.

IF it is true that would sure be the nail in the coffin, it doesn't matter what any other rider says if the guy who was involved says it's ok I don't see how they could still say otherwise?

In a sensational turnaround, a flash from La Gazzetta dello Sport quotes defending World Champion Kimi Raikkonen as being prepared to testify on behalf of arch rival Lewis Hamilton at the FIA hearing that will result from Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' protest of the penalty imposed on Hamilton after the Belgian Grand Prix. "I don't care what the stewards said, as far as I was concerned, Hamilton let me by as we passed the pits", said Raikkonen in Geneva today. "I got ahead, I tried to defend the position and the race was on again. My car was for sure very difficult on the prime tyres in the rain and Lewis got by me into the hairpin. That was that."

Raikkonen went on, "For sure, I don't like to lose but I don't like to win through stupid decisions. People say I have lost the love (for F1) but yesterday I showed that second was not what I wanted. There are five races to go and I plan to win them all. I'm not the sort to give up that easily."

I suspect Kimi thinks he's got nothing to lose. No points out of that race, title hopes stuffed into the wall (plans to win the last five races notwithstanding)... and if the result is returned to what it was at the end of the race, that moves him back two points closer to Massa...

I suspect Kimi thinks he's got nothing to lose. No points out of that race, title hopes stuffed into the wall (plans to win the last five races notwithstanding)... and if the result is returned to what it was at the end of the race, that moves him back two points closer to Massa...

two points closer to massa but four points further from hamilton, raikkonen gets shit from his team and loses points position if he supports hamilton. for that i have massive respect for him as a race driver +rep for him if it's true.

i think based on the fact that mclaren asked race control twice to make sure the pass was ok, the appeal has a solid chance of winning. the FIA took too long to investigate and gave maclaren no chance to let raikkonen pass again. that is completely unfair and seems to me like a dodgy way to manipulate the result of the race.

Yeah, great one by Kimi. Respect for him.

kimi, always one not to beat around the bush and talk shit..... tells it like it is. good job KR!

he would probably be rubbish as a politician like lol

If it's true, Kimi delivers on, and off the track.

Domenicalli also stated that there was nothing wrong with Hamilton's move, so it does give me some hope.

We shall see.

If it's true, Kimi delivers on, and off the track.

This year he's not exactly driving like a WDC is supposed to do. The bad thing to Ferrari is that he's not willing to help his teammate win the WDC unlike the Brazilian did last year.

I really, really hope that statement by Kimi is true - I'll have huge respect for him if it is. Not only for being honest, but also for having the balls to make the statement knowing it's against the team's wishes.

Great also to see my suspicions were wrong and that McLaren have indeed protested - now hopefully I'll be proved further wrong and they win.

I wish there was a proper source for that Kimi quote, but if it's true; thank god there are some drivers after Villeneuve and Montoya that will say what they think, not just toe the official company line. I'd be happy to see him win the remaining 5 races, as long as it's all hard earned through fair racing.

lol, Red Bull and Real Stig, your sigs are so similar I thought one of you posted twice, and I was gonna respond till I decided to double check.

if Kimi's remarks are true......then i wonder if he's thinking of leaving Ferrari anyway this year.

lol, Red Bull and Real Stig, your sigs are so similar I thought one of you posted twice, and I was gonna respond till I decided to double check.

Lol, you should try and find your way around some of the tifosi forums...it's impossible, it's just all red...:p

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35912

Steward: "The Italians love me"

10/09/2008

There are times when one should really bite one's lip.

While Bernie Ecclestone is a master of the throwaway quip he often finds himself in trouble, like the time, when asked about the possibility of a woman racing in F1 he replied; "women should be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances", a comment that went down like a lead balloon in certain circles, particularly at a time when Danica Patrick was on the ascendant.

More recently, Ecclestone was lucky to avoid a media backlash for a quip he made about the 2012 Olympics, due to take place in London.

At a time when many were wondering how the London organisers are going to match the spectacle of Beijing, Ecclestone was asked if he had any advice for them: "I suppose pray there's an earthquake or something so it doesn't happen," was the response.

Considering the fact that more than 50,000 people lost their lives in south-west China just a couple of months earlier, after an earthquake wreaked havoc leaving almost a million homeless, it was a crass remark, to say nothing of the fact that most Londoners remember that the very day after the announcement that London had got the Olympics, 55 people were killed in a series of terrorist bombings.

The point is, as we have said, there is a time to joke and there is a time to bite one's lip.

Strange therefore that Surinder Thathi, one of the three Race Stewards involved in Sunday's controversial decision, has made a similar gaffe.

Whilst he defended the decision, and refuted claims of bias, he told Reuters: "I know I am a very unpopular person in the United Kingdom now, but then I was doing my job and I know I acted professionally."

However, at a time when sensitivity is still running at fever pitch, he told Kenya's Daily Nation: "The British Press hates me but I can walk into any Italian restaurant... Italians love me."

Whatever one's opinion of Sunday's incident and the subsequent decision, it was a stupid thing to say, even if it was meant in jest.

LOL WUT?

^ Oh man, that's such a stupid, stupid thing to say. Talk about feeding the flames...