The "New Toys" Thread

Well, maybe the fact that he is "poor" is one of the reasons this website is still popular. Nobody likes ads.

I think the reason I hate the touch screen is due to my huge fingers.

PROS:
Great camera features and quality.
Not a bad browser.
The display looks amazing.
Extra battery is available.
Real 3.5mm headset.
Battery life is better than expected for a large touch screen.
Scrolling is good, after getting used to.

CONS:
No streaming of music.
Laggy music player.
Music interface tries to be a Ipod copy-cat without the ease of use.
Drag n' drop "desktop" is useless, unless I haven't done it properly.
Bad for anyone with large fingers.
Hard to text and drive.... (I would never!)
Camera button is used for too many things (like switching between video mode; image trying to take a photo and it switches to video).

Prost264, add your own review so others have two opinions.

Well I agree the camera is great, but I also agree that the camera button is ridiculous. You have to scroll through a million options before you get to what you want.

The drag and drop desktop isn't useless, if you put the essentials that you want on the desktop it serves a purpose. I personally don't use it because I try to keep it as clean as possible.

My main issue with the phone is how much I didn't count on missing having physical buttons. Sometimes nothing works better than a real button. I know its bad to do but if you drive a lot and use your phone, forget the 9700 or any touchscreen.

Other than missing physical buttons. This phone is very good. I honestly only use a few of its features, such as phone, texting, and pictures, but it does it all well. When I had the internet free for the first month it worked well, but the browser had problems with selecting items on websites. From what I can tell from using the iPod Touch the Apple browser works much better.

Once you get used to the virtual keyboard it works very well. Once I turned off the "vibrate every time you touch the screen" feature I felt like the keyboard was much more responsive and less laggy than before. I have fat guy fingers and even I can use the keyboard without making a mistake. Sure you have to take your time at first but after maybe a few weeks of using it you can use it with no problems.

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place, but there it is. Its a good phone and worth the $140 I paid.

I think I would just have a problem with any touchscreen phone. I need some buttons to press dammit.

I finally managed to find a Samsung Omnia in Vancouver and buy it - I'm very skeptical of buying unlocked import phones off the web.

It was pretty hectic. First I call the store and they tell me they have two left, and I drive over but by then they're both gone. Then I came home and a few hours later they call and say they have one left because the other guy had decided on a Nokia E61 or something like that - his loss. But she tells me she's closing up shop soon.

I jet out the door, with 25 minutes until closing. I had to go to a part of town I'm not too familiar with, and I needed to stop at two bank machines (my daily withdrawal limit is like $500). Anyway, long story short I made it there right at 7 o'clock and pick up my super awesome black i900 16GB.

I come home all excited to unbox it... but when I did that, I realized there was no manuals or CDs (which is normal for a gray market import over here) and most importantly no adapter for the UK style outlet plug. You can imagine how pissed I was, especially as the device had emptied the tiny bit of juice left in the car.

Luckily my dad happened to have one of those international adapters that I'm using for now, until I call the store tomorrow and ask them why a $750 phone doesn't come with the necessary $3 hardware so you can power it.

Sorry for the long writeup... I'm just very excited, tired and a little pissed off at the same time. I'll attach a decent pic when I take all the protective covers off and maybe load some eye candy... though I have to say, Samsung's customizations really do eliminate the need to encounter WinMo 6.1 unless you're running a 3rd party app or changing some settings.

omnia-2.jpg

Last edited:
this G5 is my new baby, after my older (lidl typhoon optical mouse) went dead in the middle of schoolday.

cost about 48eur, but i'm getting the feel of this thing and liking it alot.

The Sony TG3E HD camcorder, my favourit toy I have bought for some years as it looks cool, it works well and I use it a lot.
sony-hdr-tg3e.jpg

Just got this with my scholarship [there way of saying sorry for not mailing the letter in July when I got it.. haha]

ipod-touch-21.jpg

Just the 8GB first gen one but hey, for free and a 3600 dollar scholarship I'm more than happy to accept it :D
I got the 8GB as well, I have nearly filled it up with hard rock music and freebies :p

It's due to the high refresh rate (eats CPU) as well as laser, etc. The G7 (battery powered) goes through it's batteries in like 8 hours. :lol:

Woah, that phone is cool looking!

Thanks, it is a very stylish phone!

How's the phone? My girl's thinking of getting that.. but the last Sony Ericsson I used was a K700i and have been using WinMo since. So not too sure if the usability have improved. The K700i was pretty buggy and slow :p

I haven't noticed any slowness or bugs at this stage, everything seems fine.

I hate you...:mad:

:lol:

Nice phone. Was looking at it the other week, 3.2mp camera isn't it?

The camera is 3.2mp, I haven't tried it out yet though.

^ Yeah, I should have one. So many times I've been so bored during a long layover because I couldn't charge my laptop at the airport.

But I didn't need it in Iran... my dad has a power bar which not only gives you 6 outlets, but also has all 4 kinds of plugs for each of those outlets.

I updated the i900 to the latest firmware which adds USB charging, but I'm still probably gonna have to pick one of these up if the store I bought it from doesn't give me one.

Edit: Holy crap, just took the latest episode of Weeds and dumped it on the phone's memory through USB, and it plays right away on the phone. Even for my last PocketPC I had to convert most videos to WMV format. Take that Apple, seriously.

Last edited:
It's due to the high refresh rate (eats CPU) as well as laser, etc. The G7 (battery powered) goes through it's batteries in like 8 hours. :lol:

ic glad to hear about the problems :lol:

800 dpi is all you need, really and the battery will last 48 hours. :) (But not the advertised 1 week. Unless you use it for 3 hours a day).

My shitty Microsoft mouse does about 4 months on a set of batteries and that's using the computer for an average of about 6 hours a day.