Stagate Atlantis cancelled, Stargate Universe green-lit

It's character development god dammit! >_< [/cartman] Best. Show. Ever. It's not supposed to be action packed ffs, that's what nonsensicle garbage like Stargate is for. :shifty:

There's a difference between character development and becoming One Tree Hill in Space. A lot of drama, a lot of BAWWWWWing and very little to keep me interested outside of the political stuff.

I really love Atlantis, and was very sad to hear of its cancellation. It has really hit a good stride this season, Jewel Staite has made a great addition to the cast, and I feel it could have gone on for at least three more seasons. While the movie is good news, I still prefer the much longer storylines a full series can offer.

The new series sounds interesting, but the fact that they are aiming it at a younger audience does not bode well.

Sad to see SGA go. I rarely judged a TV show but when the Wraith can feed off Ronan the show's gotta go.

I almost had a geekasm from this photo from an upcoming episode of Atlantis:

http://img522.imageshack.**/img522/5169/516brainstorm010970817yy8.jpg

Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

:mrgreen:

Atlantis almost made me lose it with the evil Asgaard.

well, it'll probably take the local free-to-air stations at least 5 years to broadcast to the end of SGA (usually at midnight, non-ratings, and when they have no info-mercials to run). I have a bad feeling that directing towards a younger audience means dumbing down and a bit more T&A....

my interest in Universe just exploded!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/12/robert_carlyle_cast_in_istargate.shtml

Robert Carlyle cast in Stargate Universe

Film actor Robert Carlyle will star as Dr. David Rush in the next Stargate television series, MGM and the SCI FI Channel announced today.

Stargate Universe is currently in pre-production, created by Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper. The show begins filming in February and will premiere with a 2-hour event next summer.

A 20-year veteran of film and television, the 47-year-old actor hails from Glasgow, Scotland. He studied acting at the Glasgow Arts Centre and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, and co-founded the Rain Dog theatre company in 1991, according to the Internet Movie Database. He is married with three children.

"We are very excited about having an actor of this caliber, around which we can build a strong, character-based series," Wright and Cooper told Entertainment Weekly. "Robert Carlyle will engage a broad audience and we hope to deliver a show that demonstrates to new viewers that the loyalty of longtime fans of the Stargate franchise has been well-deserved."

"We see SGU as an innovative step forward and an opportunity to expand the franchise."

"We couldn't be more excited to set Robert Carlyle for Stargate Universe," SCI FI Executive VP Mark Stern said. "He brings a depth, intelligence, and complexity to his roles, which will fit perfectly with the fresh, new reinvention of this franchise."

Among Carlyle's most notable films are "Trainspotting," "The Full Monty," "Eragon," and the horror flick "28 Weeks Later." He played Adolf Hitler in the TV biopic "Hitler: The Rise of Evil," and appeared in the Bond film "The World Is Not Enough." Most recently, he starred as Carl Benton opposite Kiefer Sutherland in the TV movie 24: Redemption.

Carlyle has been rumored to be in the running to take over the role of Doctor Who when fellow Scottish actor David Tennant departs that show next year.

:w00t:

who the hell is Robert Carlyle? :blink:

who the hell is Robert Carlyle? :blink:

He's a well-known Scottish actor (who I once met in my local park. Due to his hair at the time I thought he was a woman :nana: )

His most well-known roles are in films like :

Begby in Trainspotting
The bad guy (Renard) in The World Is Not Enough
Gaz in The Full Monty
Don (the father) in 28 weeks later

He was also in the 24 TV minithing, which I've not seen.