Stig to test porsche vs Nissan to nurburing?

GauravA42

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/porsche-vs-nissan

at the official top gear site, there is an article that talks about the Porsche vs Nissan scandal (link above), where Porsche says Nissan is lying about its lap times, and the article answers saying the only solution is the stig. it has a video of the Nissan test driver doing a 7:29 on the nordschleife.

do you think this could mean that top gear might actually test this out when the series returns? or was this just something the web editors thought would be kool?

i think it would be awesome, but i hope they get their hands on the ZR1 and test that 2. even if the nissan is slower than the porsche or Zr1 by a couple seconds, thats ok since it is a 13 mile course and the GTR is a fraction of the price.

but i do think the GTR is really faster, and top gears lap times confirm this. it was faster than the 911's and even a Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 and mclaren SLR!!!

:welcome:

Nice idea but I doubt very much it would happen. Although the logistics are tricky it could be done, but I doubt TG would want to wade into the middle of a scrap between Nissan and Porsche for fear of annoying one of them. I doubt they would consider it too much of a tragedy if Nissan were to ban TG from testing any of their cars, but if Porsche were to do that they/we would miss out on quite a few new bits of kit. I am expecting JC to give the Panamera a proper kicking when it comes out and I'd hate for them to lose the opportunity!

TG afraid of annoying anyone? I think not. If it made good TV they'd do it but I do not see how they could make it so within their format myself.

Do you remember Hammond wearing a bag over his head while driving a bright pink Nissan Micra because he was embarrassed to be seen in it? I really doubt that Top Gear would care if they ruffled more than a few feathers on either side. That said, I doubt Top Gear television would be bothered with being independent adjudicators in this scrap. The magazine might be interested though.

Bear in mind too, the Stig's anonymity could be jeopardized, or used as an excuse by whomever winds up being the slower car; them claiming that he is in fact a test driver for the other manufacturer. Sounds silly, I know, but then again, this whole argument is silly.

Last edited:
nope, I don't see it happening. Not because the TG guys are scared to ruffle a few feathers, but largely because they don't care.

the Stig's anonymity could be jeopardized

But then it was jeapordised in the BritCar 24hr race, where The Stig was actually Ben Collins. (I've had this confirmed by a friend who works at Silverstone, his name was on the list along with the presenters). That said, IMO its naive to think there might just be one Stig anyway...

But you're right, it would be some damned good entertainment!

Even if they did do it, I don't think it'd be that valid a test.

The Stig knows the Top Gear track like the back of his... gloves. But round the ring would be different surely?

The proper way to do it would be to give both cars to someone who really knows their way round the Nurburgring.
And I'm not just saying that because I like seeing Sabine Schmidt.

Certainly, TG is about as biased as programs come, so there'd be no fairness involved. I'd like to see someone other than Sabine driving though, there are plenty of drivers out there who have more talent.

But then it was jeapordised in the BritCar 24hr race, where The Stig was actually Ben Collins. (I've had this confirmed by a friend who works at Silverstone, his name was on the list along with the presenters). That said, IMO its naive to think there might just be one Stig anyway...

Does it really matter if there's one Stig or a million Stigs? :rolleyes:

Does it really matter if there's one Stig or a million Stigs? :rolleyes:

There's definitely more than one. Stigs are grown in special petrol-filled glass tanks in a secret underground facility several hundred metres beneath Newport Pagnell, accessed via a hidden lift in the old Aston factory. It's a little known fact that Aston Martin has for decades merely been a front for the genetic engineering of tame racing drivers. Ben Collins isn't really a/the Stig - they just let a name of a little known driver out into the public domain every now and then to try to throw us off the scent.

You heard it here first folks.

There's definitely more than one. Stigs are grown in special petrol-filled glass tanks in a secret underground facility several hundred metres beneath Newport Pagnell, accessed via a hidden lift in the old Aston factory. It's a little known fact that Aston Martin has for decades merely been a front for the genetic engineering of tame racing drivers. Ben Collins isn't really a/the Stig - they just let a name of a little known driver out into the public domain every now and then to try to throw us off the scent.

You heard it here first folks.

And they must have had a man in Imola in 1994, collecting some of Ayrton Senna's blood for a DNA sample which goes into the manufacture of all the most recent "tame racing drivers". <_<

A friend of a friend of mine says...

That may very well be true, but let's see some real proof then instead of this he says she says stuff.

I like this solution best so far. I doubt this pissing contest would make for a good TG episode, although it might be great for one of Clarkson's DVDs.

As for Sabine, I am sure there are more talented drivers, but very few for a Nordschleife duel involving a 911. She currently holds the lap record for naturally aspirated cars in her Friko Porsche (997 GT3 RSR) and has been pretty successful in the endurance races this year.

Will everyone please stop mentioning Sabine? I'm running out of tissues and clean trousers.

Oh, not again....

A friend of a friend of mine says...

That may very well be true, but let's see some real proof then instead of this he says she says stuff.

I'm not confirming anything. If you think I'm travelling for over 3 hours to the Silverstone complex to try and find a drivers sign-on sheet from ages ago, you can think again. ;)

Frankly, I have it on good authority, and confirmation from two seperate people whos word I have no reason to mistrust. The amount of interest I have in whether he is/isn't the Stig doesn't really extend beyond that.

Ah but the outline shape of his nipple is the shape of the N?rburgring! ;)

Yeah, but who stares at his nipple while driving on the track? Unless he reads it Braille style. Hey Mineworksfine, I wonder if Sabine does that.