Town bans speed cameras

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
This should probably go in Off-Topic but as the TG guys made such a big deal about it last series I thought it worth posting here.

Swindon becomes first town to ban speed cameras

Swindon has became the first town in the UK to do away with fixed-point speed cameras.

The nine-strong cabinet of the Tory-run council voted unanimously in favour of withdrawing from the Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership.

The idea of withdrawing was first suggested 12 months ago by Peter Greenhalgh, councillor for highways in Swindon.

This came after a change to the way fixed-point cameras were funded. Mr Greenhalgh objected to central Government receiving the cash from fines while Swindon Council had to pay for the upkeep of the cameras.

Speaking tonight after the vote, he said: ?I understand we are the first council in Britain to get rid of fixed-point speed cameras.? Just because there will be no more fixed-point speed traps in the town does not mean motorists cannot be caught, he said.

Police will still be out and about with hand-held speed-measuring devices. Mr Greenhalgh added: ?We will be working very closely with our partners, including police in the road safety partnership to deliver a plan that reduced the number of people being killed on the roads in Swindon.?

He said that in 2007/08 70 people had been killed on the streets of Swindon and that this was proof that fixed-point speed cameras were not working to curb motorists? excessive speed.

He said that alternative speed-reducing measures were being considered by the Council now, including education and training for motorists and reduced speed limits in problem areas.

This news will be celebrated by motorists across the land, chief among them Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of BBC?s Top Gear who has in the past voiced heart-felt support for Mr Greenhalgh on his programme.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article4998031.ece

"He said that in 2007/08 70 people had been killed on the streets of Swindon and that this was proof that fixed-point speed cameras were not working to curb motorists? excessive speed."

While failing to mention that 57 out of the 70 had actually been stabbed, 9 were the victims of drunken beatings, 11 were killed by objects dropped from ladders, and one choked to death on a kebab.

You can do anything you like with statistics, 98% of which are made up on the spot!

All this will, of course, be negated by the government's lunatic decision to shove SPECS (or, more specifically, the even worse SPECS3) on pretty much every motorway in the country, and the M4 will be one of the first roads to fall - and it's already littered with cameras on the approach to London, and mobile sites around... Swindon!

2009 may be the last year I ever set a wheel on the motorways of the UK.

"He said that in 2007/08 70 people had been killed on the streets of Swindon and that this was proof that fixed-point speed cameras were not working to curb motorists? excessive speed."

While failing to mention that 57 out of the 70 had actually been stabbed, 9 were the victims of drunken beatings, 11 were killed by objects dropped from ladders, and one choked to death on a kebab.

You can do anything you like with statistics, 98% of which are made up on the spot!

Who the hell cares if the can have results like this?! Go Swindon!!

Who the hell cares if the can have results like this?! Go Swindon!!

Sorry, I should have put a big IRONY WARNING at the top of my previous post. It was meant to be a pisstake (not to be confused with a shitake which is a type of mushroom so named as it cause constipation*).

*Think about it hard, people, you'll get there eventually. ;)

Sorry, I should have put a big IRONY WARNING at the top of my previous post. It was meant to be a pisstake (not to be confused with a shitake which is a type of mushroom so named as it cause constipation*).

:blink: :lol:

Not to mention the fact that if you add up all the numbers in your post, you get 78. 8 more than originally stated ;)

Has the guy accepted the throne of gratitude, or whatever it was called, yet?

All this will, of course, be negated by the government's lunatic decision to shove SPECS (or, more specifically, the even worse SPECS3) on pretty much every motorway in the country, and the M4 will be one of the first roads to fall - and it's already littered with cameras on the approach to London, and mobile sites around... Swindon!

2009 may be the last year I ever set a wheel on the motorways of the UK.

I suggest that you are a little more than 200 years overdue to have a *real* Tea Party in England. :D

What do you think it will take to bring one down? Chainsaw? Sledgehammer? A horde of hoodies?
You laugh, but rednecks are good for somethin'.

pull_redneck.jpg

They started putting those cameras in armored housings, especially after we Texans started shooting them off poles with our rifles.

That's when we resorted to trucks. :D

We do still have red light cameras. I have yet to hear of one that managed to survive being uprooted by a 600lb/ft diesel truck.

They started putting those cameras in armored housings, especially after we Texans started shooting them off poles with our rifles.

That's when we resorted to trucks. :D

We do still have red light cameras. I have yet to hear of one that managed to survive being uprooted by a 600lb/ft diesel truck.

You say "We", does that mean that YOU were involved?

Because if it does, you're in for a barricade of + reps!!:cool:

You say "We", does that mean that YOU were involved?

I cannot confirm or deny this as it is illegal to intentionally destroy or damage city property. :D

Check back with me in 5 years, 6 months and 22 days. :mrgreen:

Apropos of nothing, it is amazing how anonymous a white Ford F-250/350 diesel truck is in Texas and Oklahoma.

<yawn> Banned in Texas for over a year now. :D

We have speed cameras in america? D:
There aren't any here I know that, just like a million cops with radar guns.