How do I change a string on this acoustic guitar?

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
Okay, I need help. As some of you might know, I'm a speaker guy. Don't ask how, I just got this pair of totally awesome guitar speakers. Not in terms of a guitar amp, rather than a pair of speakers made of guitars (click to enlarge):

So here comes the problem. When a workmate was tuning the strings, the third one from the top of one of the guitars snapped. I'd love to change it, but I don't know how. So before I destroy it, I wanted to ask you guys & gals.

I am aware that the strings obviously don't have no direct functionality in terms of the speakers working, but you do actually hear them humming when the driver does its work, so I think the guitars should at least be equally eqipped and in tune. Here's a closeup of the lower end of the strings:

Now, how do I get the snapped string outta there? :cry:

EDIT:
Solution was found on another forum. The bridge pins (the white thingies) come out when you loosen the string and wiggle them a little.

Last edited:
Often times string-winders (which are awful for your tuners) have a bridge-pin puller, but they are usually suck soft plastic that it's useless...

They key to getting the pin back in, is to not use the pin to try and pinch the string in so hard that it holds it (a, you can split the bridge, and b) you'll never get the peg out) You're just using it to keep the ball from popping through the hole.

Pardon the 30-second drawing, but it should look like this (if you were to cut the guitar in half)
NEW-1-5.jpg

The red is the string to make it more obvious...

The strings will hum along with the music if the same frequencies are being used in whatever is coming out of the speakers. You could even tune the guitar to different keys to "sing" along. I've done a recording before where I had an acoustic mic'd just sitting in a corner while I blasted my electric guitar amp. There was this erie spooky in-key hum whenever i held a note.

Conversely, you could loosen the strings so that they wouldn't be in the same key, or even too low to sustain much even if they did, so they'd be more silent and there wouldn't be any hum at all (or any you could hear, at least).

Thanks for the drawing, I understand this now. I had seen acoustic guitars where the strings were simply knit at the bottom, so I was a bit shuffeled by this setup.

On another note (har har :rolleyes:), you can put a piece of cardboard between the strings and the body to make the strings shut up when you use them as speakers. However, I have listened to them with and without the cardboard, and without it, they just sound livelier.

The "tied" strings is more of a classical nylon-string guitar thing.

Yes, they are made from real, yet cheap acoustic guitars. I have business relations with the guy behind it. He makes audio electronics and speakers of all kind. The guitar is a funny incarnation of his ideas of loudspeaker resonance enclosures. Basically, he says that a speaker with a dead enclosure will always sound dead, so he makes enclosures out of thin wood. That led him to try to make speakers from instruments. He also made a ukulele and a cello, but you can only buy the guitar right now.

It comes as a kit with a pre-prepared guitar, guitar stand, guitar bag, driver, terminal, cables and everything for 148 Euros per side. You just need to assemble it: http://easy-amp.de/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=9&language=de

Obviously, those aren't the best speakers in the world, but it's a nice idea and for what they are, they sound pretty good. :)

*those speakers are badass cool*

(most useful reply of this thread so far)

What are the specs on those speakers?

There are no specs around really. They wouldn't do this speaker justice anyway, since specs say not the slightest thing about the sound of a speaker.