"What Were They Thinking?"

I was quoting something I heard years ago, and it's entirely possible wiper technology may have moved on since then.
it?s not exactly rocket science... ;)

fast cars with double wipers have been around for quite a while... whoever you heard it from doesn?t know anything...

fast cars with double wipers have been around for quite a while... whoever you heard it from doesn?t know anything...
I am now fairly sure it came from Max Power, where there's always been a craze for single wiper conversions. I always struggled to work out why anyone would want to give themselves a worse view of the road ahead when it started raining...

^me three. Some of the rice rockets over here go out of their way to have just one, big wiper, and it ALWAYS needs to be in the centre of the windscreen aswell

I guess it's a whole culture of making your car LESS practical and uglier at the same time. See also :

- big spoilers that ruin the rear view
- "M3" style mirrors that look cool from the outside but mean you actually see worse
- bucket seats to that rear passengers need to fold double.
- removing the trunk opening and "smooving" it out so you can't get to the trunk
- huge tyres and short springs so the car looks good, but can't actually drive over any speedhump, as tiny as they are

etc...

A lot of those things make sense.... if you're creating a professional racing machine. Which most of them aren't.

aveo.jpg

what the f..., who (tried to) design this thing? in infamous words of jeremy clarkson; did the designer sneeze, perhaps?

http://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/what-were-they-thinking-31251/page-3/what the f..., who (tried to) design this thing?[/QUOTE]
The Koreans, which tells you everything you need to know. But at least it isn't as ugly as a SsangYong - any SsangYong, take your pick.

Watching TG Australia, who revealed that's also going to be their new Holden Barina, I always wonder what the Aussies did to the world to deserve being fobbed off with all the nasty Daewoo models as Holdens, when it used to be a combination of rebadged Vauxhalls/Opels (good) and Suzukis (not so good). Would I be right in saying it's now only the Astra that's a Euro-GM car badged as a Holden?

Watching TG Australia, who revealed that's also going to be their new Holden Barina, I always wonder what the Aussies did to the world to deserve being fobbed off with all the nasty Daewoo models as Holdens, when it used to be a combination of rebadged Vauxhalls/Opels (good) and Suzukis (not so good). Would I be right in saying it's now only the Astra that's a Euro-GM car badged as a Holden?

Correct - the Astra is the only Euro-GM product we get. The decision to go Korean was based purely on numbers - the transfer pricing Opel wanted made staying with their products not profitable enough. The bit that was lost on Holden was the loss of brand image they've suffered as a result.

Side-note - some years ago Holden were selling an Isuzu off-roader badged here as the Frontera. Towards the end of the vehicle's days here Holden were selling each and every one at a loss.

What don't you like about the new Aveo? I think it's in design terms it's a big step forward from the previous Aveo.

Correct - the Astra is the only Euro-GM product we get. The decision to go Korean was based purely on numbers - the transfer pricing Opel wanted made staying with their products not profitable enough. The bit that was lost on Holden was the loss of brand image they've suffered as a result.
I figured it might also be something to do with Seoul being closer to Australia than Luton...

Side-note - some years ago Holden were selling an Isuzu off-roader badged here as the Frontera. Towards the end of the vehicle's days here Holden were selling each and every one at a loss.
I heard of the Holden Jackaroo, which was otherwise known as an Isuzu Trooper. It was sold in Europe as well, as the Vauxhall/Opel Monterey, but failed miserably, as everyone bought a Trooper instead. I looked back through some old Daily Express World Car Guides, but these were a bit thin on the descriptions with Holden, and couldn't find the Frontera mentioned once... though I suspect it'd be equivalent to the Euro-model.

I heard of the Holden Jackaroo, which was otherwise known as an Isuzu Trooper. It was sold in Europe as well, as the Vauxhall/Opel Monterey, but failed miserably, as everyone bought a Trooper instead. I looked back through some old Daily Express World Car Guides, but these were a bit thin on the descriptions with Holden, and couldn't find the Frontera mentioned once... though I suspect it'd be equivalent to the Euro-model.

The Frontera, in all it's glory...
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/07/photo.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/07/54517_00mg.jpg

The Jackaroo was a different model - larger than the Frontera.