I bought a film camera!

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
I just got a used n8008 / F-801 today that I bought on eBay.

I like:
  • Metering (at least center-weighted) with non-CPU lenses
  • Big, bright friggin' finder! Manual focusing is worlds easier on this than it is on my D40!
  • Simplicity, no idiot modes, just MASP
  • DOF preview

I bought it...

• To force myself to think more about the photos I take rather than just take snapshots and look at the LCD on the back of my digital.
  • For better dynamic range
  • For Noiseless long exposures
  • For an excuse to by more AF lenses ;)

Out of curiosity, I tried my DX lenses on the camera. The 18-55 gives ugly black corners at lengths shorter than ~24mm, which is expected. The 55-200VR shows no corners at any focal length, but the finder has 92% coverage, so I assume they would show up on film and the corner quality would be blech.

Anyway, out to have some fun... :)

Last edited:
Photographing with film is a bit like dirving and old car.

It's really unpractical, to be honest, it takes longer time, takes more effort. But when you get it right, God damned it's rewarding and fun! :)

Photographing with film is a bit like dirving and old car.

It's really unpractical, to be honest, it takes longer time, takes more effort. But when you get it right, God damned it's rewarding and fun! :)

Yup, i'd love to also be doing some film now. But i have no time and no space for developing so it will have to wait for a better time.

The one thing about shooting on film is that it really makes me wish I had a film scanner. I'm not some super artistic genius or anything, but leaving the color balance in someone else's control just bugs me a little.

Plus, there was that one developer I went to who didn't print 5 of the photos I took because they were blurry or oddly exposed (he didn't tell me this up front, either. I found out when I got home and some of the photos were missing: I had to drive all the way back out there to get the prints made). I knew they were a little "off", that was the point! :shakefist:

Still, film has a great look to it, you don't have to worry about sensor dust, you don't have to worry about the body getting outdated (OK, that might be because it'll start out being outdated... :p), and the noise the motorized film advance makes is just great! :D

and the noise the motorized film advance makes is just great! :D

You mean the noise that film advance LEVER makes is great? :)

And I even had doubts about getting Nikon FE over FM because FE has auto mode (aperture-priority actually), and FM only has an exponometer and can be operated without any power at all :)

Ditto about the film scanner tho. Too bad they are so expensive :( And flatbed with film module is so-so.

I have to say it's nice to have my OM-2. It's useful to have aperture priority. I do wish I had the OM-2sp/n for spot metering.

Or perhaps what I see as the ultimate manual camera, the OM-4Ti. That is a great camera!

You mean the noise that film advance LEVER makes is great?

And I even had doubts about getting Nikon FE over FM because FE has auto mode (aperture-priority actually), and FM only has an exponometer and can be operated without any power at all
Uh oh...the NAS is building up inside me...must..resist...urge...to buy...manual film camera...

Or should I? :p

You should. Prefrebly a Leica, Olympus OM-1n or a Nikon FM.

It would probably be an FM or variant as all of my other equipment is Nikon anyway.

Well, FMs work great. Just make sure you have lenses with an aperture ring, and I believe they will work like a charm.

I am tempted to get back into film again to be honest especially since I have free access to a processing machine and a Hasselblad drum scanner. The problem I have is that I'm pretty bored of the 35mm format, I really lust after the Mamiya 7 Mk1 or Mk2 :(.