Comments and Suggestions from beginner photographer

Some very nice photos. The only thing I can suggest at the moment is that they could be sharper, but that be no fault of your own due to the crappy "jpegging" caused by Picasa.

They all seem a touch out of focus, but that may just be the camera or compression you are using...

Good otherwise, in terms of composition and general feel (PP may be a tiny bit green on some?)

Thanks! I think they are in focus, or I am going blind, but i've been using the af on the camera for all of those.

Lets see if these links work...

Looks a bit better on phyrefile. Still not 100% though? Might be your lens choice; what lens are you using?

[Edit: I was looking mainly at the RX7 shot (in shade on the road) - The other shots look fine, so might have been the lighting/shutter speed and a slight shake did it]

Looks a bit better on phyrefile. Still not 100% though? Might be your lens choice; what lens are you using?

[Edit: I was looking mainly at the RX7 shot (in shade on the road) - The other shots look fine, so might have been the lighting/shutter speed and a slight shake did it]

I'm mostly using my 18-55 nikon lens. But a slow shutter speed, and a shake is very possible. I've been pretty diligent about using the timer to try to avoid the shake.

They look good to me, but I can see what people mean about looking soft. May just be a limitation of the kit lens though, especially if wide open/stopped right down.
A little unsharp mask may help in some of them like the orange flowers. But the one with the road and trees just after that is odd - the road immediately in front of the camera looks the bit most in focus but it gets worse further back. The branches at the back look about as good as I would get off my mobile phone! Looking at the EXIF info, it says ISO 100 and f/4 which is weird - it looks like what I'd get with ISO800 and the lens stopped right down (diffraction problems).

Anyways - that's all technical. As actual pictures I'd say they are great. Good composition and exposure, you obviously have a better eye than me :)

I'm mostly using my 18-55 nikon lens.
May just be a limitation of the kit lens though, especially if wide open/stopped right down.
Doubtful. The Nikon 18-55 is great wide open.

jmb, I think the problem is that you're looking at them at 100%. They seem pretty on par to me for a D40.

Scale them down a bit and they're perfectly acceptable. Here's the RX7 at 800px wide and sharpened to compensate for the downsampling:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2008/11/26/forums.finalgear.com_hyperlitenerd_rx7.jpg

Looks just fine to me. It doesn't need to be downsampled so far, I just chose 800px wide so that it fits nicely here.

Doubtful. The Nikon 18-55 is great wide open.

jmb, I think the problem is that you're looking at them at 100%. They seem pretty on par to me for a D40.

Scale them down a bit and they're perfectly acceptable. Here's the RX7 at 800px wide and sharpened to compensate for the downsampling:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2008/11/26/forums.finalgear.com_hyperlitenerd_rx7.jpg

Looks just fine to me. It doesn't need to be downsampled so far, I just chose 800px wide so that it fits nicely here.

Wow thanks!

Some nice stuff there, especially with the lighting on the car and the road, and also the sunset over the boat!

You could also use flickr for your photos, there is a limit on the free accounts, however they dont fiddle with your images at all.