2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

^^Vikirad will be pleased....:p

If they want to save money then why don't they just have hydrogen powered engines or topgear style budget races.

Pantano bemoans lack of F1 interest
04 December 2008

GP2 champion Giorgio Pantano is upset by the lack of attention he has received from F1 teams despite winning the support series title this year.

"I challenge anyone to produce as good a resum? as mine," Pantano told Autosprint as the rivals he beat in GP2 this season - Bruno Senna and Sebastien Buemi - are both being linked with possible seats at Honda and Toro Rosso respectively. "I've won world karting titles, three European titles, three Italian titles, German F3, GP2 and have always been at the front in F3000, but now I don't have a seat in F1 which is a bit of a joke."

At 29, Pantano is several years older than Buemi and Senna and had a chance with Jordan in F1 back in 2004.

"The only person who has behaved fairly to me is Bernie Ecclestone," he added. "The only real seats still available are at Honda and Toro Rosso and he told me that if anything moves, I'd be the first to know. But I feel a total indifference towards me. I read a lot about Buemi and Senna, but what have they really done?"

"Money is becoming a priority to finding a race seat, it's not about talent any more," he concluded.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/12/04/pantano-bemoans-lack-of-f1-interest/
After 7 years he finally wins a GP2/F3000 title...right. Come on you got your shot in F1 and blew it by failing to impress Jordan or other teams. You're 29 for pits sake!

I'm sure he has talent, but in 2008 he didn't dominate the field and made quite a bit of mistakes. Mistakes he can't afford to do in F1.

Last edited:
It's just over for him. What makes a great racing driver is adaptibility, and he took 7 years to adapt to a quick car...that's just too much...

He's the GP2 Champion, they should at least give him a test.

Sounds like a bit of a cocky **** to be honest.

Can you imagine when the same people who called Lewis Hamilton cocky got their hands on him!? :ninja:..Thats right, they wouldn't say anything. :sleep:

^ If he wants another drive that bad, try out for a seat over in the IRL or something. Or heck, NA$CAR, that seems to be the current trend.

Hey Jon, where does the GIF in your sig come from? :)
(And which race?)

DaHitch, the GIF in Jon's sig is from the British GP of 2008, in the early laps, a moment at Abbey.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21017.html

DECEMBER 4, 2008
Honda looking to sell F1 team by Christmas?

Multiple sources are now reporting that Honda Racing F1 is being put up for sale and that if the sale is not completed by Christmas the team will be closed down. There is no confirmation from any Honda company officials, but teams across Europe are reporting that they have received a rush of applications from Honda F1 personnel in the course of the day.

The fact that the team is not responding to requests for statements is a bad sign, as if the rumours are not correct they would need to be killed as quickly as possible.

The official announcement of such a move is unlikely to come from the United Kingdom and thus the F1 world is waiting for Japan to wake up in around five or six hours to see if the news will be made official by the company.

Given the lack of credit available in the world at the moment it is not going to be easy for Honda to find a buyer, although big companies that might have an interest in running their own Formula 1 team do exist.

We will keep you informed as more news come to light.

This is BAD. This is a very very bad sign.

WOAH! That's unexpected...what about Rubens and Button?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fl1RYB4Owk[/youtube]

If that don't get you licking your lips for the new bbc coverage I don't know what will!

Honda looks to be in serious trouble.

Does that rule still exist that the minimum number of cars is 20?

Holy shit!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36685

Honda to withdraw from F1 by March 2009

04/12/2008

While it has yet to be officially confirmed, our sources at Brackley have informed us that at tonight's emergency meeting, the Honda F1 team's workforce was advised that the Japanese manufacturer is withdrawing from F1.

The Japanese car giant has said that it will withdraw from F1 in March 2009, and if no buyers have been lined up by that time the entire operation will be closed down.

There will be no forced redundancies at Brackley, however, the team is looking for voluntary redundancies, with many workers spending much of this afternoon contacting rival teams looking for work.

Members of Honda's HGT division currently working in England will return to Japan with immediate effect, where it is understood they will face redundancy.

Honda claims to have two prospective buyers, however, there is a further complication with the news that Honda's withdrawal is total, it will not continue as an engine manufacturer.

If there is a potential buyer out there, and it is hard to see given the current financial climate, the most likely scenario is that Team Principal Ross Brawn might seek an engine deal with his former employer, Ferrari.

This is a sad end to a legendary name, and it is particularly hard on the Brackley workforce.

And Pitpass has got most of these rumour stories right. This doesn't bode well.

Whoa, that's completely unexpected, and very sad news if it turns out to be real. What I don't get is this; if they're going to pull out, why wait until March '09? What's to be gained from staying around until then?

Oh cock.

Who's next, though? I have a feeling Honda is just the tip of this Titanic-sinking iceberg.

Bollocks. They had some good people and seemed to have had worked hard on KERS, was looking forward to seeing them competing next year.