From the "didn't see that one" file - Aussies out-nanny the UK

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24783479-421,00.html

Victorian police told to respect prisoners, make them a nice cup of tea

POLICE have been told to show more respect to their prisoners: dim the lights at night, don't slam cell doors and serve tea, coffee or milk at least three times a day.
New "soft cell" human rights guidelines from Victoria's Office of Police Integrity say cell blocks should be calm and relaxing, with light-shaded wall colours.
Meals should be of good nutritional value and quantity, and second helpings should be available "on reasonable request".

The Police Association and a victims' lobby group claimed yesterday the OPI's standards for police cells treated prisoners better than many pensioners.
Association secretary Sen-Sgt Greg Davies said the reaction of police would be "fits of hysterical laughter followed by justified outrage".
"No doubt we'll have a queue of pensioners and victims of the financial crisis lined up to smash a window at a police station to be housed in such luxurious surroundings," Sen-Sgt Davies said.

Crime Victims Support Association president Noel McNamara said the OPI's custody standards were "absolutely astounding".
"I wonder when we're going to see the introduction of mini-bars - that seems to be all that's lacking," he said.
The standards were released this week at the first Australasian Human Rights and Policing Conference.
The guidelines also require prisoners to be provided with:
? DAILY warm showers in clean conditions that allow privacy.
? BOOKS and magazines, writing material and a tamper-proof TV in working order.
? REASONABLE access to a telephone and visits from family or friends in clean, private rooms at least twice a week.
? ACCESS to a sheltered outdoor exercise yard for at least an hour a day.
A Victoria Police spokeswoman said there were 66 prisoners in police cells last night. The force noted the OPI recommendations, and said much had already been done to improve cell conditions.

Well, maybe taking it a little too far with nicely coloured walls and not slamming cell doors... but it's not really nannying. I bet prisoners in all prisons get treated a lot worse than even inmates deserve.

But what message does this send out? A reasonable chunk of guys going to the can do not have a very nice life. This could even encourage them to break the law, since life in there is just becoming so much nicer than out here.

^We already have that problem in Sweden. Where drug-addicts and homeless ppl commits crimes so they can spend the winter in jail. Or get an apartment somewhere, all paid for by the goverment..

But what message does this send out? A reasonable chunk of guys going to the can do not have a very nice life. This could even encourage them to break the law, since life in there is just becoming so much nicer than out here.

That's a common plotline in the Canadian show Trailer Park Boys. They actually like it in jail, since it's nicer than where they live and they can alcohol and hash all day long. :lol:

Which is a good thing, because they go back to jail at the end of every season.

Aussies told to be nice to convicts? Isn't that asking them to be nice to themselves?

Well, since the article mentions the police, doesn't that mean that this only involves people who haven't even been charged yet? In that case I don't see anything too wrong with it as there is a fair chance that the people in question are innocent. Or does the Australian police run proper prisons too?

Well, since the article mentions the police, doesn't that mean that this only involves people who haven't even been charged yet? In that case I don't see anything too wrong with it as there is a fair chance that the people in question are innocent. Or does the Australian police run proper prisons too?

Those people are referred to as "arrested", not "prisoners".

Looks like what we already have here, and I don?t really see anything wrong with it. I don?t see what was described as luxury or unnessesary. That?s just the bare minimum in a civilized society. If pensioners in australia don?t get that ... that?s something to work on IMO, it doesn?t mean that the prisoners have to suffer more. That?s just populistic politics ... they don?t quote the old people to help them have it better, they quote them to make others NOT have it better.

During my time at university I lived for 1,5 years in a dorm room (single) exactly 9 square meters big. The average single-cell in a german prision is 12 square meters. I?ve always made jokes about the prision being cheaper for me, the food probably being better and the neighbours there friendlier and quieter. But of course, I went to University on my own free will and could have chosen not to go* (or spend more money on living, wich I did after those 1,5 years :D).

*yes, you also kind of choose to be a criminal and risk going to jail ... I know.

Last edited:
prison is not that bad, except for the forced sodomy

New "soft cell" human rights guidelines from Victoria's Office of Police Integrity say cell blocks should be calm and relaxing, with light-shaded wall colours.

"However," Sgt. Davies assured the public, "brutal, mentally-scarring prison rape on a daily basis will still be tolerated, even encouraged by the staff."

"However," Sgt. Davies assured the public, "brutal, mentally-scarring prison rape on a daily basis will still be tolerated, even encouraged by the staff."

The only thing that makes it "soft cell" is the constant playing of "tainted love"

ARGHHHH.
How about I rob a bank? If i succeed, I have lots of money and live comfortably, if i fail, i live comfortably.