the OFFICIAL Final Gear reputation system poll - please vote!!!

the OFFICIAL Final Gear reputation system poll - please vote!!!

• I like the system the way it is now

Votes: 41 19.6%
  • I like the system, but would rather it wasn't anonymous

Votes: 128 61.2%
  • I like the system, but would rather if rep power and/or blobbies are hidden

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • I don't like the system, and I would rather see it disabled altogether

Votes: 32 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The result of this poll will officially determine what will happen to the reputation system of this forum.

Really? Well that's news to me because I certainly didn't say so...

This poll is also a complete waste of time anyway. There is no option to not make it anonymous that I'm aware of, so you guys are all just wasting your breath who are voting for that option.

I'm closing the the poll, but leaving the thread open for discussion. I'm not against hearing feedback (the exact opposite actually), but I still get to make the decisions around here plus let's stick to solutions that are actually possible.

Last edited:
Um...

pwned?

I was wondering when that was going to come up, having seen Viper completely absent from the conversation, and knowing there's GOT to be limits to what the forum platform can do. :p

Last edited:
^ I was just going to say. I've been on other vB boards that have non-anonymous reputation systems.

Fair enough if the Head Dude isn't interested, but it's not impossible.

i never really noticed the rep system until these threads started popping up, then i noticed for the first time that i had gotten some rep, a awesome number of three! :p

two nice and signed ones, and one negative where all the info is "troll"
why am i a troll then? care to explain? what a useless neg rep :lol:

OK, I voted for option 2, but if the guys that run this place (and rightfully do whatever pleases them) have no interest in it, therein lies a problem.
On a side note: I am just thinking aloud, but isn't there a way to give acknowledgement to a particular post, instead of the poster? Just asking.

two nice and signed ones, and one negative where all the info is "troll"
why am i a troll then? care to explain? what a useless neg rep :lol:

Yeah, I've got one that simply says "fail" and nearest I can tell, it's simply because he/she disagreed with my opinion, as there wasn't anything incorrect in it.

This poll is also a complete waste of time anyway. There is no option to not make it anonymous that I'm aware of, so you guys are all just wasting your breath who are voting for that option.
It is a per usergroup setting in the admin CP. So you'd go to the Usergroup Manager and click on the main group and scroll down to User Reputation Options and change "Can See Who Left User Ratings" to yes. That gives all users the extra column you would have showing the usernames.

Not that I'd recommend that, I'd say higher thresholds of rep before people's reps make any impact would be the best way forward.

It is a per usergroup setting in the admin CP. So you'd go to the Usergroup Manager and click on the main group and scroll down to User Reputation Options and change "Can See Who Left User Ratings" to yes. That gives all users the extra column you would have showing the usernames.

Ooooooh. I had been digging all through the reputation options, didn't occur to me to check usergroup permissions.

Okay, then poll reopened, although the result may or may not be the actual action I take. I will however take it into account.

revealing the user who neg rep you means very little, unless you okes take this rep system seriously... which you shouldn't because 99% of the neg rep are done by either trolls, noobs or ppl who simply don't agree with your opinion.

revealing the user who neg rep you means very little, unless you okes take this rep system seriously... which you shouldn't because 99% of the neg rep are done by either trolls, noobs or ppl who simply don't agree with your opinion.

Or take things really seriously like a few of my neg reps...

Ooooooh. I had been digging all through the reputation options, didn't occur to me to check usergroup permissions.

Okay, then poll reopened, although the result may or may not be the actual action I take. I will however take it into account.

*mentions MXM's earlier suggestion*

Like I said before: For what my n00bie pathetic rep is worth, I don't mind the system. Yes, people make some stupid comments and don't sign their -reps, but some people also make silly or no comments and don't sign their +reps. Some people also leave a +rep comment on -reps and vice versa. All part of the tapestry of life...:grin:
/quote

My fear is that taking the anonymity away may start the "you -rep me, so I'll -rep you" wars, either privatey or publically. Currently I think there are ways of asking Mods to look at -reps received if there are concerns that they are unwarranted or excessive (I vaguely remember that there is a way to monitor members who give out excessive amounts of -rep). That's some of the reason why they are there. Being asked to referee when things have gone too far would probably result in bans (temp/permament) for both parties, bad feeling for those who've witnessed the public fight and possibly division between factions. I SINCERELY hope that should reps be automatically 'signed', that people take a mature and considered approach should they receive a -rep.

So, although there are times when I've wanted to know who have issued me a rep, overall, I don't care. Either they leave a comment that can be taken as constructive or part of the global diversity of opinion which I take on board and consider for the future, or some lame arse insult which I ignore. I don't want to be the cranky bitch who, every time I read a post by someone who -repped me with a lame insult, gets frowny-faced and grumpy even it the post itself is good. Leave it as it is.

And on a side note - Viper & Quiky - I apologise.

I think it should be anynomous, the only result to us knowing who said what is getting repped in return for rep, which sucks.

Hell, i negrepped an admin (who can see who did what, i presume) and lost my ability to negrep as a result. Imagine what will happen if the ignorant masses gain this ability?

I have negrepped people, I have always left my name, I have never been negrepped back in vengeance. The thing is that I avoid to call people names and clearly state why I give the rep in the comment.

Also, I find it hard to believe that you were stripped of your ability if you negrepped an admin rightfully. If that happens, something is terribly wrong on some end.

Last edited:
Also, I find it hard to believe that you were stripped of your ability (blah blah rightfully)

I didnt know it was possible to wrongly negrep someone, i think i critisized an administrative decision and it was taken personally, other than a short-lived (thanks to my bitching, squeaky wheel gets the grease) ban, this is the result:

negrep.jpg

Hey man, i've moved on from it, its not like i ruined his reputation, it moved from "beyond respute" to "beyond respute". It just shows the danger of giving someone information on people who rep them while knowing they have the ammunition to do something about it in responce.

I think the rep system is fine as it is, if you might make it public who gave what to who, make the person negrepped (or pos) unable to do the same to the person who did it to them.

Last edited:
An interesting case for sure, and one that shouldn't have happened. On that basis, I absolutely understand your decision.

On another forum I'm a part of, the system was removed. Too many people use the system as a weapon. For some, it's the same here. I can understand giving neg rep to a person for being rude or for being a flat out jerk. But to give a person negative rep because you didn't like their opinion or the thread they started, THAT IS abuse of the system. That is why I have some of the neg rep I have. I can understand if a person does not agree or does not like the thread started, but have some RESPECT for those views.

I voted to have it removed. I'm not sure having a non-anonymous system will work as some people simply do not have respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.