Car Stereo Help

I'm starting to think about making some tapes again. Back to basics, you know. :cool:

Update time:

I "borrowed" the 'Cruiser to "do some errands" and took it straight down to our local car audio place, Car Concepts. They got the Pioneer mentioned earlier and got it installed the same day.

I stopped off at a shop on the way home for a card and a big bow. I stuck the bow to the dash right over the radio and signed the card from my brother and me (he's in Iraq but paid for half). I came in and announced, "Mom! Come give me a hand here!" When I found her I asked for her to "get the stuff in the front seat; I've got to grab something and I'll be right there." She went down and opened the car door to find the new stereo installed.

She loves it and I have you guys to thank for helping me with the research. I'll get some photos posted as soon as I can.

I'm actually considering this type of thing aswell, since the radio transmitter only works intermittently, and this is annoying...

I do realise that this means I'll lose the use of the buttons on the steering wheel, but as I'm using the MP3player/transmitter now, I have to use the player anyway to change volume/tracks, so it's no difference.

trouble is, I only have a "regular" DIN sized space, and I need MP3 connectivity, but as "neat" as possible (ie not a huge USB drive sticking out of the thing or a mile of wires going to the player). Also, i'm poor and don't want to spend 400? for a top of the line stereo.

Needs :

- DIN space
- MP3 connectivity (aux in or whatever)
- good sound quality
- to not be a Sony
- no lightshow

Wants :
- to be able to control the player with the buttons of the radio / see which track is playing
- to cost not a lot of money
- as little cable clutter as possible
- a Pioneer

Ok you wise people, GO!

I'm actually considering this type of thing aswell, since the radio transmitter only works intermittently, and this is annoying...

I do realise that this means I'll lose the use of the buttons on the steering wheel, but as I'm using the MP3player/transmitter now, I have to use the player anyway to change volume/tracks, so it's no difference.

trouble is, I only have a "regular" DIN sized space, and I need MP3 connectivity, but as "neat" as possible (ie not a huge USB drive sticking out of the thing or a mile of wires going to the player). Also, i'm poor and don't want to spend 400? for a top of the line stereo.

Needs :

- DIN space
- MP3 connectivity (aux in or whatever)
- good sound quality
- to not be a Sony
- no lightshow

Wants :
- to be able to control the player with the buttons of the radio / see which track is playing
- to cost not a lot of money
- as little cable clutter as possible
- a Pioneer

Ok you wise people, GO!

There are adaptors for many steering wheel control systems that enable you to use them with aftermarket stereos. Yes, including Pioneers.

I think you know I'm going to recommend a Pioneer Premier for that. See if they sell the DEH-P500UB over there:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P500UB

MSRP is $210 USD, so it should be less than 150? over there and still well within your budget. No light show, single DIN unit, talks to USB media devices plus iPod, excellent sound quality, not a Sony, simple wiring, inexpensive and yes, it's a Pioneer.

Edit: Lookie what I found. A steering wheel control adapter from Pioneer:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/38/301/RC-HW/index.html

Specifically, I think, http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/38/18211/CA-R-PI.151/index.html

That takes care of your sole remaining issue.

Doesn't look like they offer the 500 over there, but they do have the one two up, the 700. That will probably go better with your dash anyway:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/121/61/DEH-P700BT/index.html

You guys even get the old-style color-switchable illumination that we don't. Still no lightshow, and all the rest still follows. I'm seeing them in the UK for ? 225 Inc. VAT, so still not too bad.

Last edited:
^see this is why I love you. 13 minutes... and all the info I'll ever need.

Thanks, gotta go look for a store that sells/installs these

So I got a cassette adapter. Seems to work alright, the sound quality is not very impressive (very cheap adapter, anyway) but it'll do.

Actually, Pioneer (anyone detecting a running theme here?) makes a nice, non-laser-lightshow double-DIN unit in their Premier line. It's called the FH-P800BT, and it looks like this:

FH-P800BT_main_Lrg.jpg

No laser light show. No touch screens. No display screens you can't work with gloves on. Just a bunch of easily used buttons and a "rocker" knob to control everything, plus a wireless remote you can stick elsewhere in the truck. It has built in Bluetooth (so you can use it as a speakerphone or have it automute when you get a call) as well as direct USB control of an iPod.

The problem with sticking the 2-way under the radio is that heat will kill one or the other unit fast, and you'll have crosstalk.

Edit: Forgot to add the URL for the unit. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/FH-P800BT

MSRP is $350, but you can find it for a lot less. And believe me, it's WORTH the cash.

I very much like the look of that. My car has a double-din Pioneer and I like it, but would love to have BT and a better EQ. For $350 it seems like a great deal, and even though I don't need it and certainly don't have the money, there's a good chance I'll be getting it or something like it in the future. I just wish it was satellite radio-ready(my factory one is), I'm just using the AUX in with a stand alone unit for now, but I would like to get it integrated sometime down the line.

EDIT: I knew I should have read the link BEFORE posting. It is sat ready. This is on my short list for sure. Also, 7 band EQ = <3.

Last edited:
:think: hmmmm

that Pioneer does look nice but has a bunch of features I don't want/need like iPod connectivity (don't own one, nor want to) and Bluetooth (don't own any bluetooth device, nor want to)

I was looking at this but it says "Russian model" which scares me a bit.

This on the other hand has all I need, even with a wire thingy so I can use the cars built in buttons, but I don't like the styling...

:think:

I don't suppose they have the same steering wheel control adapter for my Civic? that would be fab :D

Nope, Pioneer doesn't have one....

But Pacific Accessory Corp does. You need their model SWI-X.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsDetail.asp?mmSearch=Steering Wheel Interface

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f8A61ETG6Wb/p_127SWIX/PAC-SWI-X.html

And that will let you control most any aftermarket head unit that supports wireless remotes... unless it's a Sony (anyone actually surprised?).

:think: hmmmm

that Pioneer does look nice but has a bunch of features I don't want/need like iPod connectivity (don't own one, nor want to) and Bluetooth (don't own any bluetooth device, nor want to)

I was looking at this but it says "Russian model" which scares me a bit.

This on the other hand has all I need, even with a wire thingy so I can use the cars built in buttons, but I don't like the styling...

:think:

Neither one of those is what would be sold as a "Premier" headunit over here. Premiers only have three numerical digits in their model numbers. I wouldn't go for them, honestly. While not of bad quality, the Premier-level units just hold up that much better, perform better, and aren't much more expensive.

As for the features - think of it this way, you'll have them if you ever need them in future and if you don't you still got a great head unit. And for the price differential, they're damned near free, so might as well, no?

Last edited:
:think: *continues to ponder this* :think:

may all be irrelevant soon though, as I may sell the car/get a company car/ start going to work by *shudder* TRAIN...