Russia to outlaw criticism of WWII tactics

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but Russian society sounds something like our conception of 'liberty' (albeit a simplified one). That is, you can do whatever you want to provided you don't keep others (or the government) from doing what they want.

Well, yes, that's why people are probably still living here, however there's a down side, as if you for any reason need government help and/or regulation or simply expect any state official to do what he is obligated to you will need to pay for it big time, that's why the elderly, homeless and the poor are suffering, and when i am saying the poor, i mean over 60% of population.

That concept also is by far not new, exactly the same was happening in USSR, people were united against the state, state officials (on all levels) were united against the people, so it's always been that way.

Last edited:
:blink:
I hope you're just using this as an example for the gravity of Russia's denial, because Germany is doing anything but denying the holocaust really.

I did NOT say Germany is denying the holocaust, I was comparing Russia's inability to realise the truth of its WW2 tactics to a theoretical German denial. We all know Germany did not deny the holocaust, I in fact would give it props for being one of the few countries to actually accept that something it did was wrong.

And who gave an anonymous neg rep? I want to know. :mad:

I did NOT say Germany is denying the holocaust

I didn't really think you were, but the phrasing was a bit confusing / "unfortunate" in that case and made it sound like that was actually what you were trying to say.

Last edited:
That concept also is by far not new, exactly the same was happening in USSR, people were united against the state, state officials (on all levels) were united against the people, so it's always been that way.
I just saw an interview with Mikhail Gorbachev (done by Steve Cohen, 1995) and he more or less said the same thing, calling the Soviet farm collectives nothing more than modern serfdom. I know that most western leaders had a lot of hope for the glasnost and perestroika policies, it's too bad things got so messed up. Now it looks like Russia has been backsliding into an oligarchy. You guys just can't catch a break.

Do you know any credible Russian news websites?

Last edited:
I just saw an interview with Mikhail Gorbachev (done by Steve Cohen, 1995) and he more or less said the same thing, calling the Soviet farm collectives nothing more than modern serfdom. I know that most western leaders had a lot of hope for the glasnost and perestroika policies, it's too bad things got so messed up. Now it looks like Russia has been backsliding into an oligarchy. You guys just can't catch a break.

Do you know any credible Russian news websites?

Aren't any. All the mass media is either owned by State and/or taking orders on "what to write", the real "investigating reporting" died i think in 2001 (when Governemnt took over the 4th national network "NTV" from Boris Berezovsky and that other billionare who's now in Isreal. The majority are getting their news from Euronews, BBC and CNN.

The remaining source for real news are Russian torrent and file-sharing trackers, but that's mostly the translation of BBC and so on.
Also there are plenty of "rebellion" websites, mostly kids thinking they can overthrow the government and/or clean the country of all foreigners, they post what they call "real news" but those are just as good as the government news.

Gorbachev is quite liked in Russia actually, although he was a very bad "president" and for the most part didn't know what the hell he was doing, his actions pretty much led to the collapse of USSR.

Last edited:
This is stupid... then again, "send unarmed or underarmed people to charge into the position until the Germans run out of bullets" isn't exactly a tactic, either....