Lens Flair

DSC_1471.jpg

Here's one of the ST, didn't get many photos, still not sure if I like it all that much, but the wheels are beautifully machined. Quite happy with this one.

935f4e973ec2d4ffe04fd56b616b4b65.jpg

Tossing something up. There was something of a rainbow halo thing around the sun, too bright to take a direct picture with my point n shoot, let alone get the whole thing in the frame.

3498070212_79d6616118_o.jpg

^That's cool, I think they are called "sundogs" and if I remember correctly epp_b gets them pretty often in the frozen north.

^That's cool, I think they are called "sundogs" and if I remember correctly epp_b gets them pretty often in the frozen north.

I thought it is called a 'halo'? Correct me if i am wrong.

Unless it's -30C in Indiana, I doubt they're sundogs ;) It needs to be really cold for those to occur. I'm not sure what it was that AutoAero captured in the sky, there, but I'm guessing some sort of reflection off the clouds.

I thought it is called a 'halo'? Correct me if i am wrong.
Sundogs sometimes only display in the form of a partial circle to the left and right of the sun like here. They can , however, also display as a full circle around the sun like here (my lens isn't wide enough to capture the entire circle.

Is that due to the optics or the atmosphere? I.E.: Only visible through the lens or with the naked eye as well?

Naked eye. It has to due with the angle of the light and ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, iirc. Sundogs are technically just the bursts, or mini suns on either side of the halo in epp_b's photos. Whats really cool is sometimes a tangent arc of light will appear at the top of the halo.

Like here; of course not my photos, just two I have fav'd on flickr. Would just insert link in words but the pop up thing fails

2100187545_571395ca60_b.jpg

3150407911_71c28479f9_b.jpg

ohh I had no idea.... maybe should have done a bit of research....:lol: