Ownership Verified: Cursed 92 Camaro is back...

Just got it all put back together....

And I drop a bolt into the distributor hole. No idea where it went. I will be pulling it back apart to get it out of there... just not sure how far apart it'll need to go. Hopefully I can fish it out of the oil pan somehow. But if it's caught on a rod I'll have to pull the motor back out.

No more updates for a while... I'm taking a break.

Last edited:
Personally I'd prefer to get a new dual exhaust system rather than switch to a 2to1.

Personally I'd prefer to get a new dual exhaust system rather than switch to a 2to1.

The exhaust doesnt care if it's in one pipe or two. It's about airflow. The only reason for dual exhaust to begin with was because it allows you more airflow through a limited diameter of pipes. ie two 3 inch pipes flow more than 1 3 inch pipe. But if I'm running it into a single 3.5 inch pipe, it will flow just fine, and unlike dual exhausts, I wont have to worry about proper scavenging. It will scavenge perfectly.

Besides, teh system I will ahve will be much closer to a dual exhaust with a single muflfer than a single exhaust. 90 percent of the system will be dual. Only the muffler and about 3 inches of pipe will be shared by both banks.

Fuck man, that's terrible luck. Maybe you can grab it with one of those telescoping magnets?

Im gonna give that a shot in a bit... but I cant find it with a magnet on the oil pan. And I cant see it from up top. I have a bendable part retriever tool taht hasnt been able to find it in the lifter valley so far.... Just dont know yet.

Im wondering if this particular bolt wasn't made of aluminum, actually, which would mean that it wont respond to magnets.

Do you have another bolt of the same type to test it's magnetic field with?

Good luck getting it out!

It's running! A few hiccups but things seem to be okay for the most part now. I may try to get it on the road tomorrow... we'll see.

Great news!

I was wondering... did you have to do anything special to get a T56 to mount up to a Gen 1 small block? I thought that they didn't like to do that? What bellhousing did you use? Obviously the transmission came out of an LT1 car I'm guessing?

Great news!

I was wondering... did you have to do anything special to get a T56 to mount up to a Gen 1 small block? I thought that they didn't like to do that? What bellhousing did you use? Obviously the transmission came out of an LT1 car I'm guessing?

No they bolt right up. That's why if you wan to put a T56 behind an old style Smallblock, the only easy way to do it is to get a T56 from an LT1 car. Everything lines up perfectly and fits just fine. LT1's are very close to old style smallblocks, but an LS1 T56 is completely different from the bellhousing forward.

Alright cool. That's what I thought.

I was doing a bunch of reading last night on swapping a t56 into a G-body. (aka. El Camino)

I was doing a bunch of reading last night on swapping a t56 into a G-body. (aka. El Camino)

You switched cars... again? Didn't I tell you a year or so ago when you asked "should I sell my el camino" not to and that you'd regret it and wind up buying another one down the line?

Also, note that you cant even use an LS1 T56 with a LT1 bellhousing because the input shaft is a different length. You HAVE to use an LT1 T56 + accessories. Allegedly adapters exist to mate the LS1 bellhousing to a Gen I block... but I have no idea where to find them. The advantage is you dont have to use the funky/stupid LT1 style clutch.

Also, note that you cant even use an LS1 T56 with a LT1 bellhousing because the input shaft is a different length. You HAVE to use an LT1 T56 + accessories. Allegedly adapters exist to mate the LS1 bellhousing to a Gen I block... but I have no idea where to find them. The advantage is you dont have to use the funky/stupid LT1 style clutch.

Probably Advanced Adapters makes something that would work, if they don't make it I can't image anyone else who would.

You switched cars... again? Didn't I tell you a year or so ago when you asked "should I sell my el camino" not to and that you'd regret it and wind up buying another one down the line?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you did. And yes, I do regret it, and I actually attempted to get back that very same Elco, but alas the person didn't want to sell it.

But it wasn't really my call. My parents made me sell it. That's sort of why I've gone through cars so fast (except I've kept my civic the whole time) I've made money off them all and am currently in the process of buying this El Camino here :mrgreen:

mail

I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

Wow...hang on!

You're running it with the bolt still in the oil pan? Don't do it, man! You'll ruin your engine, and all your hard work will be gone :(

No that bolt got stuck past the oil pump drive rod... I got a smaller magnet and was able to fish it out. No worries. Dodged a bullet on that one.

100_9097.jpg

100_9101.jpg

100_9106.jpg

100_9115.jpg

100_9099.jpg

Next post will probably be on Tuesday night, as that's my next day off and I plan to get down to business getting the carb tuned. It kept dying on me the other day... but it seems to be running pretty well. I need to get the rings seated before I run it any more and I cant do that until it wont stall out quite as frequently. Probably just the idle air bleed screw being off... but I'm saving it for another day. Got a weekend with my girlfriend planned... :)

Last edited:
I've got hydraulic fluid leaking through the seals on the master cylinder of the clutch. It's leakinga round the rod and into my interior... friggin lame.

I ordered new hydraulics... should be here in a couple of weeks. i'm gonna try and see if what I've got will work okay in the meantime... but I've got a few more issues to work out.

1. My balancer is not accurate with my timing tab. I need to make a mark on the timing cover to denote #1 TDC so I can properly set timing for it.

2. Carb isnt tuned right either... it's not wanting to idle very well. It will... but it's always on the virge of stalling.

Soon as I get the timing and fueling right, it's gonna get driven.

Last edited:
Just took it round the block! This is right before that... I'ma bout to go drive it some more to try and get the hang of it... fun stuff! I've never driven a stick before in my life but I managed to not stall it once. yay for me. Not that it wasn't ugly and jerky... it was... but I handled it well. ;)

[YOUTUBE]FkKDxc14adk[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSgvvE7nRM[/youtube]

SHOW TIME!

Just learning how to drive a stick still, but it's everything I hoped itw ould be.

And either the clutch is slipping above 4k RPMs, or I've got wheelspin at like 25-30 mph... neither are very unlikely...