Youtube video better quality than scene rip of TG?

Who said we were aiming for 700MB? Does anyone actually backup single top gear eps to CDs anymore? The broadcast-res rip is closer to 1GB.

That would be me.

I also back 'em up to dvd, but a friend of mine doesn't have an internet connection and doesn't want to watch EVERY episode, so I'll pick one or two of the better ones out per season and slap 'em on a cd.

So then you can keep downloading the scene rips. :D

I wasn't trying to start a big debate.

I was just letting people know that there are other options besides the scene rips, and it's likely that the YT vid in the original post was either a different rip, or he just capped it himself.

/thread

Last edited:
...the main deal is that some lazy programmer at M$ programmed a Video player for the XBox that obviously can't handle the slightest AVI error, while every other player on the planet can :p.

So if something is broken, M$ is slammed for not supporting it in its broken state...that's a new one for the bashers.

BTW, the PS3 chokes all over this issue as well.

Oh and no, the YTs aren't better, they're both pretty whiffy compared to the raw broadcast streams.

Last edited:
BTW, the PS3 chokes all over this issue as well.

Huh? Unless aliens from the future came and replaced my PS3 with some sort of magical pixie-dust powered super media server when I wasn't looking, the PS3 can handle the rips without any difficulty whatsoever.

I can't speak for the 360, I don't have one, but the PS3 isn't choking all over shit.

Who said we were aiming for 700MB? Does anyone actually backup single top gear eps to CDs anymore?

Yes, on DVDs. (I don't own an external/portable hard drive right now, so I have little choice. And even if I did own one, I'd still back them up on DVD, just in case.)

I download the episodes to my laptop (I can get them faster on that than on my main desktop), make a data DVD, then put the eps on my main desktop so I can make DVDs from them to watch on ye olde telly.

Yes, on DVDs. (I don't own an external/portable hard drive right now, so I have little choice. And even if I did own one, I'd still back them up on DVD, just in case.)

I download the episodes to my laptop (I can get them faster on that than on my main desktop), make a data DVD, then put the eps on my main desktop so I can make DVDs from them to watch on ye olde telly.

I put mine on data DVD as well, mostly because I filled up my harddrive. I'm tech stupid. What format do you need to convert to for viewing with a regular DVD player?

You can burn them in their regular AVI format. (I can, anyway.) Recently I've had to do some over because the audio and video can go out of sync sometimes. For the eps where that's happened, I convert to either MPEG or DivX. They still look great.

Huh? Unless aliens from the future came and replaced my PS3 with some sort of magical pixie-dust powered super media server when I wasn't looking, the PS3 can handle the rips without any difficulty whatsoever.

I can't speak for the 360, I don't have one, but the PS3 isn't choking all over shit.

Last Scene rip of 5th Gear stuttered starting at the same point it borked on the 360. I've crashed it quite easily with some simple x264 mp4s that had busted headers.

Every player has a weakness.

Last edited:
Anamorphic video signal is faking it anyway. There is no additional information. What's been said before still holds true. 720x576 is the limit. Anamorphic just means that the widescreen image is squished to 4:3 for broadcast and then your tv stretches it back. It's the same as upscaling. You won't get any additional information. It's like transcoding a 128 kbps mp3 into lossless flac. It'll still be the same quality (even worse, actually, cause decoding degrades the signal slightly even further).

you cant complain about the filesize being too small and videos being in high enough quality because of this.

700MB is like a standard, yea it was originally b/c of 1CDR size and now not many people back up that way, but its a standard. Just like 720p rips are now usually DVD5 or DVD9 size.

Maybe one day when petabyte harddrives are < $100 and the standard internet speed is Gigabit they will stop caring about compression so much, but till then these are the best standards to stick to.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, this is what the guy who posted the vid on youtube had to say about the rip :

"Its taken from an off air digital transmission, directly to hard disk, no analogue stages....

Its then upscaled to 720p and div-x encoded."

Like I said, better quality.

If anyone is interested, this is what the guy who posted the vid on youtube had to say about the rip :

"Its taken from an off air digital transmission, directly to hard disk, no analogue stages....

Its then upscaled to 720p and div-x encoded."

Like I said, better quality.

I know, all my photos are better quality once I resize them, too!

Some people on a russian torrent site upload different versions of Top Gear including the source vid which weights about 2GB for people who want to make their own rip. And what amazes me is that they are actually faster than FG. o_O

Anamorphic video signal is faking it anyway. There is no additional information. What's been said before still holds true. 720x576 is the limit. Anamorphic just means that the widescreen image is squished to 4:3 for broadcast and then your tv stretches it back. It's the same as upscaling. You won't get any additional information. It's like transcoding a 128 kbps mp3 into lossless flac. It'll still be the same quality (even worse, actually, cause decoding degrades the signal slightly even further).
Actually, you do get additional information with anamorphic pictures, because of one fact: if you weren't broadcasting it anamorphic, you'd send it letterboxed. And then, your tv would zoom it instead of just stretch horizontally. Thus, the anamorphic picture provides a higher vertical resolution.

Last edited: