The FIA Presidential Election thread

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
Since this is a big event which will have far-reaching influences on the whole world of motorsport, I think it ought to have its own thread.

And we start with the first man who confirms his intentions to run against Spanky.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76819

Vatanen to run for FIA presidency

By Jonathan Noble Friday, July 10th 2009, 12:20 GMT

Former world rally champion Ari Vatanen has confirmed that he will run for the presidency of the FIA in October's elections.

Following days of speculation about the Finn's future, after revealing earlier this week that he was considering putting himself forward, he announced on Thursday that he has decided to go ahead with his plans.

"Responding to requests from many FIA member clubs, I shall stand for presidential elections of the FIA in October this year", said Vatanen, who was a European MP until earlier this year.

"I think the time has come for a change. My main focus is to reconcile views within the FIA and bring transparency to its stakeholders. The duty of President is to defend billion automobilists and the great sport of ours."

Vatanen's decision to stand as president comes amid continued uncertainty about whether or not current president Max Mosley will stand again.

Mosley originally intended to step down at the end of his current term, but his dispute with the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has forced him to reconsider his plans.

FOTA would prefer Mosley to leave, however, and are pushing F1's commercial rights holders CVC to ensure he goes as part of a deal they are putting together to try and secure the future of the sport.

As AUTOSPORT reported earlier this week, Vatanen must now put forward a list of 22 'cabinet' members who would fill certain positions within the FIA structure if he was elected.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but Mosley has done it before in 2000, he said he would step down but didn't so I hope he commits to his agreement.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but Mosley has done it before in 2000, he said he would step down but didn't so I hope he commits to his agreement.

but at least he will face some competition!?

I really hope Vatanen become the new FIA president!

Who gives a fuck, even if Mosley loses, one year down the track you'll all be bitching about whoever's got the job.

Vatanen seems like a standup guy, I doubt he could possibly be worse than mad Max...

After Vatanen's interview to the BBC, I am 100% certain he is the right man for the job. If he does what he says, he would really be a clean start, after Spankmaster.

After Vatanen's interview to the BBC, I am 100% certain he is the right man for the job. If he does what he says, he would really be a clean start, after Spankmaster.

x2 Exactly my thoughts. Really sympathetic and clever man.

'Mosley will retire' - Ecclestone
11 July 2009

Bernie Ecclestone is confident in his belief that FIA president Max Mosley will stand down from his position at the end of his current term in October. With Mosley having already admitted that retirement is a favourable option, the man who has held the role for sixteen years is now possibly in his last four months of the job.

With an ongoing row between the FIA and the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) this season, 2009 has been one of controversy thus far as politics are related to F1 although the sport's commercial rights holder is sure that Mosley, who himself came under immense scrutiny due to his News of the World revelations last year, will soon step down.

"I have no doubt in my mind, as long as I've known Max, that he's always done what he said he would do," Ecclestone told The Times of the 69-year-old, although Mosley has also stated that he will remain in the occupation in the event of no agreement being found with FOTA. "He's an honourable person. I've always said Max can have a cheque signed by me - without any name or amount on it - because he's a trustworthy guy, so I have no doubt that he will honour all the things he's ever said he will do."

Ecclestone, of Formula One Management (FOM), also cast away threats of a breakaway series being put into action by teams: "There are probably a couple of people in all the teams who would like to see it happen, but no, I don't think it will happen; I think people realise that the Formula One World Championship has been going for sixty years, it is well established, we've got the best circuits in the world and I don't think they've even thought through really how there could be a breakaway and, if there is, what would our company do?"

Source

I don't care what the Dwarf (Bernie) says, I don't trust either of them. Spanky (Max) is so power mad that he could pull anything to hold on to the office. He wouldn't know what to do with himself if he's not FIA President. Well, actually we do know but this isn't the NSFW area.

I'll believe he's gone when it actually happens.

can someone post Vatanan's interview?

Come on Ari.

Nothing can go wrong with a Finn :D :p

If you want to win hire (or elect) a Finn

Whitmarsh behind Vatanen for FIA presidency

13 July 2009

Martin Whitmarsh believes that, with racing experience behind him plus a political background in recent years, Finland's Ari Vatanen would be a perfect candidate as FIA president once Max Mosley retires from the position.

With Mosley expected by many to leave his post at the end of his current term in October, fingers are pointing towards either Vatanen or former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt as possible successors for the man who has held the job since 1993. "I don't know Ari particularly but I think he is clearly fresh and new and I think refreshing the sport would be quite good," said McLaren team principal Whitmarsh. "He was a very successful rally driver and a World Champion, so I think he understands competition - I think that is fresh."

As well as winning the Dakar Rally no less than four times and clinching the WRC title in 1981, Vatanen was a member of the European parliament until this year. "He has been a successful politician; I don't know if that is a plus or a minus but I think, inevitably, it is a plus because - whether we like it or not - none of us were signed up here to get involved in politics but there is a fair amount of it involved in F1," Whitmarsh continued. "If someone is going to be a reformer, he has the credentials to do that.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming months but, if Max is not standing again and Ari is a candidate, I am sure he will get a lot of support as he seems to be a balanced and sensible individual."

Source