The FIA Presidential Election thread

And his EU experience will help greatly

The only shortfall Vatanen has is that he has (to my knowledge) never been really involved in the business side of things, and therefore has no experience from automotive industry from the management side of things. That could be a problem for someone who is trying to become the head of the FIA which, remember, is a lot more than just the governing body of F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76980
Mosley will not stand for re-election

By Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 10:06 GMT

FIA president Max Mosley has confirmed that he will definitely not stand again in October's election, AUTOSPORT has learned, and has endorsed Jean Todt as his preferred candidate.

In a letter sent to all member clubs today, Mosley said that despite pressure from members to restand, he had decided to see through with his decision to step down.

Good. But even when he's going down he still has to try and mess things up. He knows everyone endorses Vatanen so purposely doesn't endorse him so he doesn't 'lose'

Might be, but I don't think that's the case. Jean Todt is a very valid canditate for FIA presidency should he run for the job. In fact, I personally think Jean Todt would be the better canditate of the two. Like Vatanen he has experience as a competitor, in fact he was the codriver for Guy Frequelin and they were one of the main challengers for the 1981 WRC title which Ari and David Richards eventually won. But unlike Ari he also has experience from the management side, he ran the WRC, Dakar and Sportscar programmes for Peugoet and then spent the decade with Ferrari F1 team and in later years in the main company management.

Either way both Todt and Ari would be better than Max! Adios Max! We won't miss you!

Vatanen unhappy at Mosley stance

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Friday, July 17th 2009, 14:15 GMT

Former world rally champion Ari Vatanen has criticised the manner by which Max Mosley has gone public in his support for candidate Jean Todt in the future FIA presidential elections.

Mosley announced earlier this week that he was to step down from his current role at the end of October. In his letter explaining the reasons behind the move, he also said that the best man to replace him would be Todt.

Vatanen has questioned the ethics of such a move, and thinks that it proves that Todt will merely be representing the 'old era'.

"Although I have criticised the FIA strongly, I have never aimed it at Mosley personally," Vatanen told Spanish newspaper AS.

"But it's not good that a leader stays in the post for a long time, and when that happens, the best thing is a change. And I represent that change, a new era with more freshness.

"On the contrary, Jean Todt represents the old era, and it's not right that Max wants to impose a new leader, and that he uses the power of the federation to support his campaign. The FIA is not a kingdom; it's a republic where the leaders are chosen democratically.

"At Ferrari they don't want Todt to be president, and so they have told me, because they think they sport would lose credibility. The same would happen if it was Ross Brawn or Flavio Briatore running. The president of the FIA must be someone neutral."

Despite Vatanen's claims about Ferrari not wanting Todt, AUTOSPORT understands that the Italian team has expressed no preference in who wins the FIA election, and is adopting a neutral stance regarding the situation.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77019

If Todt becomes president I will die.

Todt stands for FIA presidency

16 July 2009

Jean Todt has confirmed that his name is now down as a potential candidate for presidency of the FIA once Max Mosley leaves the federation in October, Reuters reports. Mosley recommended the former Ferrari team principal with the announcement on Wednesday of his own decision to step down.

Todt is the right man for the job, says outgoing leader Mosley
For the first time since 1993, the FIA will welcome a new leader in three months' time when Max Mosley leaves the Paris-based senate having served four terms as president. Having announced his decision via letter to the coalition's many member groups this week, the 69-year-old also strongly suggested that Todt, six years his junior, should take the reigns.

'Following the decision of Max Mosley not to seek a further term of office and his unequivocal support of my candidacy, I have written to the FIA membership to inform them that I wish to stand for the Presidency of the FIA,' reads a statement from Todt. 'It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of President Mosley.'

Mosley wrote: 'I believe the right person to head (the FIA) would be Jean Todt. Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motor sport manager of his generation and arguably of any generation. Teams run by him have won the World Rally Championship, Cross Country rallies including Paris-Dakar, the Le Mans 24 Hour Race and, in the last 15 years, one Formula One World Championship after another.'

Todt's decision to stand places him as the second candidate alongside Finland's 1981 World Rally Champion Ari Vatanen.

Source

Todt hoping for FIA improvement

17 July 2009

Jean Todt vows to improve the efficiency of Formula One's governing body, should he be elected to take the reigns once Max Mosley leaves office in October. Currently, former Ferrari team principal Todt will be up against former WRC Champion Ari Vatanen for the position of FIA president, which will see a new leader for the first time since 1993.

With Mosley electing to retire after spending 16 years in the job, Todt has been strongly tipped by the current leader, which acted as a catalyst for the Frenchman's decision to stand for presidency.

'I am conscious that the FIA is a unique organisation which serves both as the governing body of motor sport and the representative of motoring clubs worldwide,' the 63-year-old wrote to FIA member clubs in various countries.

'In this letter I would like to explain my commitment to strengthening the independence and effectiveness of the FIA in close co-operation with the entire membership.

I have been very fortunate in my career to have enjoyed considerable success in motor sport and benefit from the hard work of previous leaders of the FIA in creating a global platform on which to compete.

I feel that for me the time is now right to give something back to the sport and the FIA's club that have given me so much. I would also like to assist my colleagues from the mobility clubs in their important work representing the motoring public.

For these reasons I am enthusiastic and excited to serve as President of the FIA and very grateful for your consideration of my candidacy.'

Source

I won't. It would probably be marked as one of the greatest days in FIA politics history.

Well... it was kind of obvious you'd say that.

In the real world, though, the best choice for FIA president would have to be someone who has connections with motorsports, but doesn't have any recent relations with any team which would enforce a bias. Todt's 1993-2007 stint with Ferrari would naturally cause a bias in terms of F1 politics. This is why Vatanen would be the better choice: he has experience in motorsports, he has experience in politics and he doesn't have any bias related to any form of motorsport.

I'm a Ferrari fan, and even I think Todt becoming the FIA president is a bad idea.

I won't. It would probably be marked as one of the greatest days in FIA politics history.

Oh come on. It's a basic democratic principle that you have an impartial leader (you know judges?). Ron Dennis taking the seat would be a disaster as well for the same reason. You just need someone who has no links with anyone whatsoever.

Well... it was kind of obvious you'd say that.

In the real world, though, the best choice for FIA president would have to be someone who has connections with motorsports, but doesn't have any recent relations with any team which would enforce a bias. Todt's 1993-2007 stint with Ferrari would naturally cause a bias in terms of F1 politics. This is why Vatanen would be the better choice: he has experience in motorsports, he has experience in politics and he doesn't have any bias related to any form of motorsport.

Oh don't worry I know. I think Vatanen would be better choice x1000000, I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind. :p

...and guys can we chill out on the rep button? Not everything I say has to be neg-rep'd to death. I do like to make the occasional joke you know.

Last edited:
Todt hasn't said anything about what's he going to do to improve F1, he keeps saying he is committed to be part of the FIA to be stronger. In what? Communism?

Vatanen's philosophy to it it so much better. It's time for change. Reminds me of the 1970s (can't remember the year) Campaign of Gough Whitlam and as well as Obama's presidency campaign. Change? Yes we can.