Why do people like Alfa Romeo so much?

No, I haven't,

...and then...

but excuse me if I don't want a car that I have to make slide around if I want to have any fun.

So when did you become an expert on cars you've never driven? How can you band around that the cars are charmless and boring if you've never been in one?

Spectre - Good read, very true! :lol:

ugh...what a thread this has been...

Look....why does anyone like any brand better than the other ? Why does someone fancy let's say Ferrari, eventhough like most people, this someone has never actually been in a Ferrari. It's because of all the emotion and feelings that particular badge on the bonnet gives you. With Ferrari it is maybe the racing heritage, the uncompromising nature of the cars dynamics, the myth that is the legendary prancing horse. And yet I never hear some idiots complaining about the reliability, or lack thereof, of Ferraris. You like the cars inspite of that. And for most people that is all there is to it: it's the childish excitement some car gives to you.

Same goes with Jaguar for example. Why do people like Jags ? Because they represent a different opinion, a purposeful choice not to buy a german branded car. But plainly Jags never have been quite the same as a car as their german couterparts (Spectre, you know exactly what I mean, so sod off with your rant), for example. Jaguars selling point has been never been japanese like reliability and bulletproof buildquality (yes I know about the X300s great track record, again, sod off Spectre). It has been this old time charm, british take on luxury. This is why the XF and the new XJ haven't had the best of welcome from Jag fans: they seem to have lost that elegance and grace, which older Jags had, and which was their main selling point.

Saab seemingly has got some sort of charm in their cars, which I quite frankly don't understand....and yet they too are FWD commuter boxes. Same thing with Volvos, especially older ones, like the 850R.

Aston Martin....Lamborghini..Maserati..every classic car there is...by plain logic and sense there exists absolutely no reasons to like cars like these: they use too much fuel, you can't really use the power, they break down all the time and it costs millions to fix them, they have faults, especially older cars, some quite alarming ones...

And yet....no matter how stupid it is....we love those cars, because they give as that extra something, that special, warm feeling inside. I for one love Alfas even if I have never driven one. But for those who do have their dream car, or something close to it: do you really care about all the little faults and niggles your cars have ? The stuff that I am talking about is when Jezza was in that Gallardo Superleggera...his words..."I am in a Lamborghini...in the Alps"....and that, for me, is the end of it.

Look....I could imagine few greater joys than to think, even if for a split second "Hmm...the sun is shining...I am driving an Alfa Romeo, I've got B.B. King on the stereo....yeah...yeah..life is good"

I could be driving a Corolla...or a Primera, because that would be more reliable. But nothing could make me change my mind because a boring, grey, plastic commuter box would never give that same feeling. I would know I am not in an Alfa, or some other car I have a huge passion for and that is what makes all the difference.

Try to get this into your thick skulls: it's all about sensation, feelings, the myths that are associated with certain brands. In the case of Alfa Romeo, those myths and feelings have been built up during several generations, Alfa Romeo's brand has that mythical charm and passion about it and for many people out there, including myself, that just works. We see that, we feel that. I for example don't get the hype some people have for hot hatches...I just don't get it. Same goes for every Skyline ever made, they just don't float my boat with their cheap interiors and boyracer image. But you don't see me rambling on about it, I could not care less about the reason some people fancy cars which I don't. If you like some car, for whatever reason, that's fine, great.

If you don't, for one reason or another, find Alfas attractive or get the appeal of them then that's fine as well. But do not try to claim with your arrogant opinion that it is impossible and stupid to like cars that because unreliable or because they aren't the most dynamc to drive or whatever it is that you claim. Because you do it too and you know it. Just may not be an Alfa in your case.

All I know is, I love some cars more than I love others....and who can explain love ?

Last edited:
In the case of Alfa Romeo, those myths and feelings have been built up during several generations[/I]

And then destroyed by FIAT who made them FWD land barges. Alfas should be driver's cars.

Some say that if I had enough time, I would BE Brother Michael...others say I'm a lazy bastard...

+rep to you sir ;)

A lot, lot, lot less generic than your old mans cars. :lol:

Um, no. As others have commented, that thing could be any one of a number of wagons.

Rather hard to mistake my Jags for anything but what they are.

He was probably referring to the back.

Have you lost your mind?

ar07geneve3.jpg

You find me ONE car.

Agreed. By far the best looking station wagon for at least the last 20 years, if not ever.

In the original picture posted of the red car from the back quarter - sorry, but from that angle, it looks like a lot of wagons.

In the original picture posted of the red car from the back quarter - sorry, but from that angle, it looks like a lot of wagons.

Station wagons are going to look the same from the rear. It's the nature of the boxy beast.

I'll agree that the 159 sportwagon is great looking but in Australia its hideously expensive. It costs $78,000 for the V6 version. Keep in mind that the Volvo V70 is $10,000 dollars cheaper and the Volkswagen Passat V6 wagon is $20,000 dollars cheaper. I know what i'd get however and it involves none of the mentioned cars. VE clubsport wagon + Twin turbo kit = :mrgreen: :evil: :burnrubber:

For example...

They don't sell Alfa's in the US, and I know hardly anything about them, but I knew exactly what that wagon was on first glance. Those slit taillights are used on quite a few Alfa's, it's rather distinctive.

Yeees... and that's 25 years old, and they only made 67, and it's hideous.

And it's only got 3 doors, so it's not a wagon, it's a hearse or a shooting brake or something.