Australian V8 Supercars

Gawd V8 supercars are so boring to watch now days... I go to the clipsal 500 every year but watching it on TV with the exception of Bathurst... Talk about a snooze fest! If it wasn't for the bullshit safety cars then I would have been better off watching paint dry....

Think I'm rapidly losing interest in the taxis...

Anyone else going to Sandown this weekend?

Rumours going around that 888 are set to announce that they will be racing Holdens from 2010. :(

EDIT: FUCK.
http://www.*************.au/news/2009/team-vodafone-set-for-holden-switch-16019

Team Vodafone set for Holden switch
words - Geoffrey Harris
Dominant Ford runner, Team Vodafone, looks set to be running Holdens next year? But HRT will remain the factory team

Speculation is rife Holden is set to reveal that top V8 Supercar outfit Triple Eight Race Engineering/Team Vodafone will field Commodores in the country's premier racing series from next year. An announcement is thought to be imminent -- perhaps as early as tomorrow (Wednesday).

Team Vodafone has been the dominant force in V8 racing this year Down Under. Though the team campaigns Falcons it does not receive funding from Ford. Cash support from the Blue Oval was withdrawn in a sponsorship purge last year.

Although the key players are remaining tight-lipped about the defection, the dogs are barking loudly in the motorsport press. Auto Action magazine will lead with the story in its edition 1351 on sale tomorrow.

It is believed that the (Tom) Walkinshaw Performance-run Holden Racing Team will remain the General's factory flagbearer, but that Roland Dane's Team Vodafone may be the only other team with financial support from Holden.

If indeed Dane is switching from running Fords to Holdens, it almost certainly means that Toyota -- the most logical, yet always unlikely, potential third entrant in the sport -- won't be going V8 Supercar racing for at least the next three years, if ever.

It also will be a big blow to Ford and, in the eyes of the fans of Team Vodafone's star drivers Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup, a payback for withdrawal of financial support from Blue Oval headquarters.

The switch will also mean only a third of the V8 Supercar field will be Fords. And that fan favorite Lowndes and today's top gun Whincup -- both under contract to Triple Eight for another three years (along with sponsor Vodafone) -- will be back where they began... On the red side of the touring car fence.

With Ford providing money to only two teams this year (Ford Performance Racing and Stone Brothers Racing), Holden is believed to be ready to follow it's opposition's lead on the spending front. Indications are that, with HRT as its flagship and Triple Eight/Team Vodafone in its camp (the latter building cars for Whincup and Lowndes as well as customers), the General too will have a stop-at-two (teams) policy.

Other teams that have enjoyed Holden's financial backing may find themselves relegated to receiving little more than bodyshells.

Holden has traditionally been the more benevolent of the two participating V8 Supercar manufacturers, sprinkling its sponsorship and assistance a long way down the grid. However, the economic meltdown and depressed motor industry ? especially for its American parent, General Motors -- have put a lid on that generosity.

Auto Action editor-at-large Mark Fogarty has pointed out that Holden's new boss, Alan Batey, who is taking over from Mark Reuss, has been strong supporter of the company's V8 racing program.

And Fogarty has elicited an admission from Holden motorsport manager Simon McNamara that he's had "a number of discussions with Roland".

"We've discussed E85 fuel, the greening of V8 Supercars and the state of the category, but what else we many have talked about is not for public consumption," McNamara told Auto Action.

But perhaps by tomorrow it will be for the consumption of Holden dealers -- and by Thursday, ahead of this weekend's V8 Supercar Championship round at Melbourne's Sandown circuit, the public.

Last edited:
Wow. What a smack in the face for Ford if this proves true!

Wow. What a smack in the face for Ford if this proves true!

It's their fault. Cutting off sponsorship to their most successful team in the past four years. :rolleyes: :?

The rumour's been around for a long time, so I really don't know how much to believe it. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see 888 go to Holden.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25850416-11088,00.html

THE most successful team in V8 Supercars racing will make the biggest backflip since Craig Lowndes defected from Holden to Ford in 2001.

Triple Eight Racing will become a Holden team in 2010 today (Wednesday), joining the Holden Racing Team as one of the company's two official racing arms in a deal worth at least $3 million.

Ironically, the move will put Lowndes back in a Holden Commodore.

A three-year deal will be confirmed at 11am today in Melbourne, although no one at Holden or Triple Eight was prepared to discuss the details yesterday.

"No comment at the moment. Try me again later tomorrow," Roland Dane, the owner of Triple Eight and pit lane general for TeamVodafone, said yesterday.

Holden motor sport manager Simon McNamara would not return calls, although there has been open discussion inside the company since the start of the year about a plan to get the company back in the winner's circle. "We do not like to lose," one senior manager said.

The Triple Eight defection comes after the team was sacked by Ford at the end of last year, partly because the TeamVodafone racing colours were considered too close to Holden's red and too far away from the Ford corporation's blue oval.

Ford switched all of its funding to two teams, Ford Performance Racing and Stone Brothers Racing, which have failed to win in 2009.

Dane retaliated by removing all Ford badges from the Falcons raced by Lowndes and V8 Supercars champion Jamie Whincup, replacing the one in the grille with a Hog's Breath Cafe logo.

But he still pushed ahead with development and construction of new FG Falcons for TeamVodafone, as well as Triple Eight's customers, Dick Johnson and Paul Cruickshank.

How the Holden switch will affect those deals is not clear.

The timing of the move to Holden has been made easier because Lowndes' personal contract with Ford ends at the end of this year.

Direct manufacturer deals with V8 Supercars drivers are banned but his was allowed to run its course, forcing Triple Eight to field him in a Falcon this year.

Triple Eight's move to Holden is, in some ways, a homecoming. Its British division has run the official touring car team for Vauxhall -- the equivalent of GM Holden -- for many years and the new head of Holden, Alan Batey, is a former Vauxhall employee.

The signing of Triple Eight will not have a significant impact on the Holden Racing Team, although it could take a funding cut.

But other teams in the red camp, including Kelly Racing and Garry Rogers' Valvoline team, could have their support trimmed or ended.

HRT is moving towards a renewal of its long-term deal with Holden, which is tied to its relationship with Holden Special Vehicles, with an announcement likely as early as next week.

"We hope to have some good news on that in the next couple of weeks," a Holden spokesman said. "Holden has a great history with the team and it is the factory team."

Wow, I never expected that.

Not that I'm all that bothered, the whole V8/Holden V Ford has lost it's way over the last few years and the series really needs an overhaul I think. It's simple not interesting anymore.

Oh.My.God.

One butt kiss for Ford and a really worried HRT coming our way next year.

By the way, I'm going to Sandown (convinced Dad) which will be the first time I've been to a race, although the only time that I am more interested in F1.

The main worry I have with 888's switch is DJR - they finally become competitive after so many years struggling thanks to the 888 engineered FGs.

The main worry I have with 888's switch is DJR - they finally become competitive after so many years struggling thanks to the 888 engineered FGs.

They will still get their FGs built by 888. RD confirmed it in a Q&A on Jamies fansite.

Oh.My.God.

One butt kiss for Ford and a really worried HRT coming our way next year.

By the way, I'm going to Sandown (convinced Dad) which will be the first time I've been to a race, although the only time that I am more interested in F1.

Awesome :D I will be there for the three days so I'm totally pumped. Say hi if you spot me, you can't miss my hair.

Just got back from the venue. Didn't spot Melbournian there, will do a report and some pics (mine were shit, I have a shitty old camera) after dinner.

YEAAAAAHHHHHH WILL DAVISON!!!!!!

Didn't spot you either RichmondGal, tomorrow I'll be sitting in the grandstand at the start line. Will hopefully upload photos at some point, I got some good ones of the podium.