2006 Mazda RX-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did run a red light the other day because I didn't want to start over from 1st gear...

I've started in 2nd before. As said elsewhere, modern transmissions are built for idiots so you can abuse them:lol:

Actually come to think of it, I did start-stop traffic in 2nd for about a half hour straight with my tiptronic, which WILL correct you if you fuck up too much to save itself so obviously it can't be very bad for the car, or it would get angry and switch gears like it normally does.

Last edited:
Starting in a higher gear won't hurt the transmission.

Yeah, that's called "Winter driving". :lol:

About time I got around to making a thread.

Was shopping for cars in the $15k range, finally time to replace my first car, although it has served me well. I was looking at the likes of new-ish Cobalts and Tiburons but was absolutely shocked when I started coming across RX-8s, and good ones at that. I instantly fell in love with this one at a local dealer, and after a while of convincing myself that it was a terrible idea and I would regret it, well, here I am.

2006 Mazda RX-8 in a bright, metallic red, with literally every option ticked off. I went from manual windows and locks to pop-up GPS screen and heated seats.

And, oh yeah, IT'S AN AUTO, GET OVER IT.

*ahem* anyway, onto the pics. I am terrible at this but here you go:

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a Shell credit card ;)

Oh, man, I love this car.

Last edited:
An auto. . .

. . . seriously?

Viper can get you a pink username.

:roflmao: +rep

Well what do you want me to do? I knew the consequences of buying an automatic RX, but love the car too much to care.

You'd love it even more if it was a manual :burnrubber:

Did he say anything about spirited driving? He just wants a nice car to cruise around in. He actually prefers the slight boost in fuel economy over the slight drop in power.

Obviously, if he bought the car only for spirited driving on a weekend, then it wouldn't make sense to get the auto.

He just came from from driving an auto Sebring, so maybe he doesn't even know how to drive a manual, or just doesn't like it for everyday driving. :dunno:

My point is just that its a waste to buy a sports car if you don't drive spiritedly. There are plenty of other cars that will get you from A to B in more comfort and style and use up less gas than an RX8...

Tell me you didn't just quote the whole damn post, pics and all, just for that one line?:rolleyes:

Its cool, -repped him

My point is just that its a waste to buy a sports car if you don't drive spiritedly. There are plenty of other cars that will get you from A to B in more comfort and style and use up less gas than an RX8...

The RX8 isn't exactly a hard core sports car. The RX7, now that is a serious sports car. The RX8 is a 4door with no forced induction. Unless you take it to track days, you'll never really push it to the limits of even the slushbox, unless you want to get arrested/wrap it around a tree/telephone pole. Some people want a sports car that they can use every day. That offers razor sharp handling, good acceleration, good breaks, but is still easy enough to use for picking up groceries or going on road trips. The slight performance loss will be unnoticeable 99.8% of the time. And if you don't find driving a manual to be fun, then there really isn't a point to it.

Tell me you didn't just quote the whole damn post, pics and all, just for that one line?:rolleyes:
After 4 pages of OT chit chat, he probably just wanted to bring up the original post.

Last edited:
The RX8 isn't exactly a hard core sports car. The RX7, now that is a serious sports car. The RX8 is a 4door with no forced induction. Unless you take it to track days, you'll never really push it to the limits of even the slushbox, unless you want to get arrested/wrap it around a tree/telephone pole. Some people want a sports car that they can use every day. That offers razor sharp handling, good acceleration, good breaks, but is still easy enough to use for picking up groceries or going on road trips. The slight performance loss will be unnoticeable 99.8% of the time. And if you don't find driving a manual to be fun, then there really isn't a point to it.

I suppose. I just think that an auto kills the spirit of a sports car, and the RX8 is undeniably a sports car.

I suppose. I just think that an auto kills the spirit of a sports car, and the RX8 is undeniably a sports car.

Personally, I agree. But automatics are taking over, it seems. Not even Ferrari will be offering manuals anymore. I always saw the RX8 as a great compromise between a practical 4door and a sports car. If you're the kind of person who cares more about handling and brakes, and less about horsepower, revs, and acceleration, then opting for the automatic isn't a bad choice.

Personally, I agree. But automatics are taking over, it seems. Not even Ferrari will be offering manuals anymore. I always saw the RX8 as a great compromise between a practical 4door and a sports car. If you're the kind of person who cares more about handling and brakes, and less about horsepower, revs, and acceleration, then opting for the automatic isn't a bad choice.

To be honest, I don't like the fact that Ferrari, for example, is switching completely to semi-whatever gearboxes. There's just nothing like rowing your own. If I was in the market for a high-end sports car, the lack of a traditional manual with three pedals would keep me from buying a Ferrari.

The RX8 isn't exactly a hard core sports car. The RX7, now that is a serious sports car....Some people want a sports car that they can use every day. That offers razor sharp handling, good acceleration, good breaks, but is still easy enough to use for picking up groceries or going on road trips.

<-------- :whistle:

To be honest, I don't like the fact that Ferrari, for example, is switching completely to semi-whatever gearboxes. There's just nothing like rowing your own. If I was in the market for a high-end sports car, the lack of a traditional manual with three pedals would keep me from buying a Ferrari.

Can't argue with you there. I feel the same way. Although I would never buy a Ferrari with a gate shift and expect to use it every day. I would probably have a nice Merc with a lazy slush box on the side.

<-------- :whistle:
I love the rally style cars, but I never saw them as sports cars. They're just fast... cars.

Yeah, but Ferrari doesn't ape you of 1.5krpm and ~30hp at the top end when you spec an auto.:lol:

Anonymous vengence -rep? Sweet! Dear sir, you are a coward for not signing your name, and also a sissy bastard.

I have gotten 4 pussy -reps in one day WOW. If someone hates me so much why not say it to my face instead of -reping all my posts? I guess they're afraid I might be as low as them and -rep them back. :rolleyes:

Anonymous vengence -rep? Sweet!

Dito over here, even with exactly the same phrase!
Come on, I'd really appreciate it if you'd at least give me an individual rep message, not a prepacked one from the shelf! :lol:

^ guess it is one person doing it. I wonder if they know the mods occasionally take vengeance on pussies who -rep like that repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.