About Adelaide driving test

I got my learners permit back in May 2007. I had passed my VORT by the end of July. I used a company called Drive Safe, or Safe Drive can never remember, they are in the phone book, look for the one in Oakden. Cost me $650 they basically guarantee you will have passed your driving test by the end of 7 days (you drive for an hour and a half each day). I had to wait until I was on leave from work before I could do it, hence why it took me 2 months to book it. You don't need to wait until you have done your hours before you sit the test, you use any driving instructor lessons as counting towards your hours.

I then had to wait until the end of November 2007 until I could get my P's, examiner even told me 'just because you got 98% on your VORT test, don't drive on your own until the 6 months are up' which sucked big time.

As far as the log book for driving hours is concerned, I found if I offered friends etc a ride anywhere in my car, my fuel they were happy to sign my book. Also, anywhere I drove, it took an hour :) By the end of August, I had my 50 hours and just had to wait. 28th November I went into Transport SA with my paperwork, they checked the test results, checked the log book declaration I signed etc and that was that. They may or may not have checked up on my hours, no one mentioned to me they received a phone call. At the end of the day, you are signing a legally binding document, stating that you have completed the hours as prescribed. Penalties apply if you get found out.
Very odd that your post came right between the thread, and the timing's off as well.

Anyway, thanks for the very thorough explanation. I just have one question, though. After you drive your car to a place, don't you have to drive back alone ;)

long time lurker, haven't posted in forever so my posts are moderated, appears when it appears :D

as for the whole 'once you get there, driving back alone' query, not if where you take them you take them home again. I used to drive to the AFL home games every other week, speedway alternating weeks so I was guaranteeing myself a minimum of 4 hours a fortnight without even trying. Add another 10.5 hours for the driving lessons/ test plus logging any driving as 30mins minimum, if not an hour and it quickly added up.

Aye. That made sense.. Thanks!

long time lurker, haven't posted in forever so my posts are moderated, appears when it appears :D

as for the whole 'once you get there, driving back alone' query, not if where you take them you take them home again. I used to drive to the AFL home games every other week, speedway alternating weeks so I was guaranteeing myself a minimum of 4 hours a fortnight without even trying. Add another 10.5 hours for the driving lessons/ test plus logging any driving as 30mins minimum, if not an hour and it quickly added up.

yep, I had the log book here so you can keep track (it wasn't required when I did my driving test) and it's amazing how quickly the hours add up (throw in a couple of trips to Canberra)

By contrast it took me nearly two years to get my hours up. The only people available to teach me were too busy to take me on trips beyond the city limits, and I had school / work to contend with. I also had trouble when having driving lessons, because I wanted to learn manual, but the instructors cars were usually very difficult for someone as small as me to drive comfortably, eg: not enough seat adjustment leaving me stretching to fully depress the clutch, and driving with steering wheels against my chest. My dad's car (which I drove the most in) getting smashed up by a drunken bogan in a ute, and then having to wait for him to get the money for another car also didn't help. :(:?

Last edited:
What's the average price for driving instuctors for the whole process (assuming I don't fail) if I go the logbook method? And do they charge by per lesson or per hour?

Sorry to necro-post. But thought I'd just continue my queries. According to the logbook, I have to fill in 10 hours of night-time driving. What time is exactly, "night time"?

Sorry to necro-post. But thought I'd just continue my queries. According to the logbook, I have to fill in 10 hours of night-time driving. What time is exactly, "night time"?

I'd hazard a guess as 6pm-6am.

Maybe 8pm-6am to be safe.