Top ten reasons real men drive manuals.

I don't like driving automatics. I do not trust them to know what I want to do.

I don't like chai latte or lipgloss very much either.

However, I am totally lacking in trouser potatoes. Should I be worried about this?

Nope. You just made yourself fifty times more attractive to the half of petrolheads that matter :wub:

However, I am totally lacking in trouser potatoes. Should I be worried about this?

so, doing anything tonight?:wicked:

also, i think what causes my fail on driving the mitsu, which is a manual, is lack of practice

this I completely agree w, guys who say real men drive MT only but don't ride motorcycles can't really claim to be real men.
So if you can't (or don't want to since your priorities are set differently) afford a driver's license plus acquisition costs plus maintenance for a motorcycle you aren't a real man?

I can see why driving AT-cars isn't considered as "real manhood" since you can choose for your own if you drive AT or MT but riding a motorcycle is a hobby for most people, not their normal way of getting to work or so.

P.S.: My car is MT but most of my colleagues and even the boss in my company only drive AT which is a real PITA since I have to share the company car with the second technician and my boss, and since they don't drive MT it's an automatic. :-/

Last edited:

You shouldn't trust them. Having an automatic is basically having an argument with the car. NO DON'T SHIFT UP NOW. *jerk* WHAT WAS THAT STOP THAT WHY DO YOU NOT LISTEN.

What is a chai latte? Also lipgloss is dumb because it is tasty and I can't stop licking it and then it is immediately gone and my lips are ow from licking. :(

Reactions: Jay
Formula 1. Paddle shift. The end.

Formula 1. Nelson Piquet Jr. The end.

I love how everyone with an automatic is getting all uptight and serious about this :rofl:

Guys, it's just a funny and well written article...from Askmen.com of all things. And I should be the uptight Mr. Boring Man of Finalgear...

Last edited:
but i quite like automatics, in the sense that i can't possibly crash with whatever is behind me on a hill

You make it sound like hill starts are hard! Try a hill start on snow in second gear, now that is quite a bit harder!

In the end, you just need to know your car.

Judging by your car, you also don't trust synchomesh.

Driving an automatic isn't automatically "worse". My DD is an automatic (though my secondary is MT). Most of the guys I know that drive MT are HORRIBLE at it. In fact, I know more women that drive MT than guys by a factor of like 3.

This is why I like being the designated driver, because I get to drive all the girl's cars because all the girls get shatfaced whereas all the guys are either sober enough to drive or think they're sober enough to drive and thus haven't allowed me to steal their keys. And yes, I admit that I'm the designated driver because I like the cars, not out of concern or responsibility for my friends. DEAL WITH IT.

So if you can't (or don't want to since your priorities are set differently) afford a driver's license plus acquisition costs plus maintenance for a motorcycle you aren't a real man?

I can see why driving AT-cars isn't considered as "real manhood" since you can choose for your own if you drive AT or MT but riding a motorcycle is a hobby for most people, not their normal way of getting to work or so.

So if you can afford a driver's license, acquisition costs plus maintenance for an automobile, you can't afford those for a vehicle that is cheaper to operate and maintain?

And don't say "it's a hobby" to the Chinese or the Indians. Unless you consider them "inferior" or "backwards," many of them rely on two wheels to ferry groceries, themselves, and entire families around. It's only in developed markets that motorcycling has carved itself such a hobbyist's niche.

And even then, many people are switching to motorcycles because of the lower running costs - over 22% in England, for example. For them (as well as me) there's nothing wrong with using a motorcycle for daily transportation, as long as you're a careful rider who knows how to spot and avoid dangerous situations against other vehicles.

Then again, to each his own. I'm not trying to convince anybody to take the leap to an awesome, sexier, cooler, and more manly form of transportation. It's not my fault that motorcycling is so much fun and less boring than sitting behind the wheel of a repmobile Audi because your girlfriend will leave you for a guy on a Honda CB550F.

:mrgreen:

P.S.: Chai is disgusting and I don't drink coffee in the first place.

You're exactly right, NONE of us are real men.

Non serious answer: being a real man is highly overrated and kind of steeped in archaic ideals where men had to hunt for their food, women weren't allowed to work and racial discrimination was acceptable.

Serious answer: real men don't care about superficial things like what kind of car they drive or choice of transmission. It's something to be enjoyed but has no reflection on a person's character.

P.S.: Chai is disgusting and I don't drink coffee in the first place.

Millions of Indians and Pakistanis across the world will disagree with you on that one. Chai is pretty damn good when made right.

*patiently waits for Blaro to make some thoughtless Hindi/Pakistani racial slur*

Last edited:
What is a chai latte? Also lipgloss is dumb because it is tasty and I can't stop licking it and then it is immediately gone and my lips are ow from licking. :(

My housemate likes chai latte, so let's have a look on the packet. Nope, can't find it, but IIRC, masala chai is black tea with spices brewed with a mixture of water and milk. Chai latte from places like Starbucks is chai made with a bucketload of steamed milk like a latte coffee. I can understand why people would like it, but it's not my 'cup of tea' (which is strong, with just a spot of cold milk and no sugar, thank you). As for lipgloss, it needs too much reapplying, I can't be arsed with makeup most of the time anyway, and it looks wrong when you mostly wear jeans and men's shirts.

Judging by your car, you also don't trust synchomesh.

Only on first ;)

Funnily enough, one of the secondary jobs while my car's having the engine rebuilt (I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could be trusted to do a job quite that major, especially without a garage) is a new gearbox. OK, so it's not designed to have synchro on first, but I'd quite like it back on second. :)

I'd agree that it isn't necessarily worse to drive an automatic, people just need to drive what they're comfortable with. It's all a bit... I was going to say new-fangled, but my grandfather's Rolls-Royce was a year older than my Herald and that was an automatic (I only drove that once, very briefly, when I was learning to drive the first time around before my bike accident kept me off the road until recently, and it scared the living crap out of me), but it's not that so much as it's become more common in modern cars. I don't know, I guess I just like the mechanics of the process.

Last edited:
I'd agree that it isn't necessarily worse to drive an automatic

Oh yeah, it's not necessarily worse, it's just boring... Your left leg and right arm (or the other way round, depending of the country ;-)) feels useless...

I don't drive a manual right now, it wasn't an option when I got my Jaaaaag. :mrgreen: I can drive a manual, I just don't choose to...and in the end, being comfortable about your choices is what makes a real "man".

So by your logic all european chicks are more attractive than american ones?

It's kind of an equation, X = how attractive she would be regularly, X^10 if she knows how to handle a stick, X^100 if said stick is in a cool car.

You're exactly right, NONE of us are real men.

Non serious answer: being a real man is highly overrated and kind of steeped in archaic ideals where men had to hunt for their food, women weren't allowed to work and racial discrimination was acceptable.

Serious answer: real men don't care about superficial things like what kind of car they drive or choice of transmission. It's something to be enjoyed but has no reflection on a person's character.
Kat's Opinion:
As long as you can explain why you love your car and how it makes you happy I do not care what you drive.

If you however drive an appliance car and view it as such....
gtfoplz.gif
doorplz.png

I am a perfect example of how you can have a rediculous terrible car but love every moment of driving it after all :)

Kat's Opinion:
As long as you can explain why you love your car and how it makes you happy I do not care what you drive.

If you however drive an appliance car and view it as such....
gtfoplz.gif
doorplz.png

I am a perfect example of how you can have a rediculous terrible car but love every moment of driving it after all :)

What if you a drive a car that could be an appliance, but can be a lot more fun than most people give it credit for if you want it to be?

Though I'll concede that my car would be pretty dull with an automatic and the smaller engine, which is why I didn't get either.

Millions of Indians and Pakistanis across the world will disagree with you on that one. Chai is pretty damn good when made right.

*patiently waits for Blaro to make some thoughtless Hindi/Pakistani racial slur*

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck[/YOUTUBE]

:roll:

What if you a drive a car that could be an appliance, but can be a lot more fun than most people give it credit for if you want it to be?

Though I'll concede that my car would be pretty dull with an automatic and the smaller engine, which is why I didn't get either.

Then you get over the fact that people on the internet have an opinion about it. It's not like you need to justify yourself to her or anyone else on this forum, just yourself.