processor getting kinda hot...

Yeah, I'd go with heat. Download and run prime95, see if that causes it. If so, check your heatsink, or get a new one.

Its a pain to get all the way down to the heat sink so I keep putting it off. Avoiding load is the only thing that's been working for me :dunno: What could the problem be?

Is it a laptop or a desktop? If its a desktop, it will be a lot easier.

Wash it in the bath tub. Seriously though I've installed filters on my pc so I don't have to clean it out, also because im that nerdy.

I was trying to do that on this PC build, but I would need 20mm thick fans to leave room for the filters on the front, and there's no room for a fan on the side with the CPU cooler. :p I just mounted them on the top of the case, even though they are exhaust, to maybe prevent some dust from just falling in when the computer's turned off.

oh, I'd have a desktop apart in no time. This is a laptop and when I used to work with HPs, the heat sink was right under the keyboard. On my dell I removed the keyboard to find a big-ass metal plate underneath and its a pain to remove... so I decided to be lazy and say fuck it. I should prob do it though...

oh, I'd have a desktop apart in no time. This is a laptop and when I used to work with HPs, the heat sink was right under the keyboard. On my dell I removed the keyboard to find a big-ass metal plate underneath and its a pain to remove... so I decided to be lazy and say fuck it. I should prob do it though...

Download a run prime95 and see how high it gets. If it gets above 85C, stop the test and I think its time to reapply some thermal paste and do a complete clean if you want that laptop to last very long.

I was trying to do that on this PC build, but I would need 20mm thick fans to leave room for the filters on the front, and there's no room for a fan on the side with the CPU cooler. :p I just mounted them on the top of the case, even though they are exhaust, to maybe prevent some dust from just falling in when the computer's turned off.

My case comes with filters for all intake fans.

And my CPU cooler\exaust fan setup looks like this:

IMG_0230.jpg

Download a run prime95 and see how high it gets. If it gets above 75C, stop the test and I think its time to reapply some thermal paste and do a complete clean if you want that laptop to last very long.

Fixed. Also, opening a laptop to clean out the internal heatsink will certainly void it's warranty. Only do this if you don't want to spend $50 on taking it in to get a "professional" cleaning job.

Last edited:
Fixed. Also, opening a laptop to clean out the internal heatsink will certainly void it's warranty. Only do this if you don't want to spend $50 on taking it in to get a "professional" cleaning job.

On most Intel chips, the thermal damage threshold is 95 to 100C. Anything below that will be fine. Now, I wouldn't run it at 90C for a long time, but hitting 90C won't by any means kill it.

Well, I've personally hit 90C with my old E8400 when I went for 4.0ghz on air and it wasn't damaged. I'm sure it won't last 30 years now but it still functions just as well.

In any event, you need to fix your thermal solutions LeVeL to avoid any unexpected problems.

In that case you were approximately 2.4?C away from the CPU shutting down for catastrophic cooling failure (~20?C over the 72.4?C maximum).

Even though there are plenty of people around to confirm you can survive a car crash I still would not recommend having one.

In that case you were approximately 2.4?C away from the CPU shutting down for catastrophic cooling failure (~20?C over the 72.4?C maximum).

Even though there are plenty of people around to confirm you can survive a car crash I still would not recommend having one.

Yeah, I know it was bad. I'm not saying that you should go over 72C or whatever, but you can without it dying instantly.