COD: Modern Warfare 2

The reaction seems exaggerated...or maybe I am dumb. :dunno:

to some, a great multiplayer is important... specially to cod which it has always been a great multiplayer game... until now :cry:

I may have mentioned this before, but for those of you who are turning this into a console vs. PC argument, there is nothing about consoles that prohibits the existence of dedicated servers. Many games have them. This is about dedicated servers vs. forced matchmaking and random player hosts.

I hope this kind of crap doesn't become more common, but I fear it will... (see Dragon Rising, it's the same bullshit only with less people complaining)

Come on, it?s not like PC gamers won?t be able to play online multiplayer...:rolleyes:

It's not just that though, it's also that they said "hey mod community, we're real happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but fuck off."

^yeah pretty much

Theres some leaked footage around at the moment. The part with single player is BRUTAL to say the least. Don't really want to spoil it though.

COD's single player is retarded. Its full of scripted bullshit and has absolutely no ai to boot. It has a completely linear play through and you can't even control how you play it. If you take too long or try to snipe your way through, they respawn the ai and coupled with the completely unrealistic way the enemy detects and shoot you, it creates a totally shit experience.

Come on, it?s not like PC gamers won?t be able to play online multiplayer...:rolleyes:

You do understand the concept of dedicated servers right? :rolleyes:

COD's single player is retarded. Its full of scripted bullshit and has absolutely no ai to boot. It has a completely linear play through and you can't even control how you play it. If you take too long or try to snipe your way through, they respawn the ai and coupled with the completely unrealistic way the enemy detects and shoot you, it creates a totally shit experience.

Granted, CoD did things always a bit differently and relied on heavy scripting and respawning enemies/teammates. If you want a realistic simulation (like Flashpoint [the original!] or ArmA) it's no good, but for a couple of hours mindless fun it's just the right thing (for me). Respawning enemies force you to move forward and take their position before they can respawn, simply camping and taking out every enemy on sight just doesn't work in CoD and yes the AI probably isn't the best around but I found the CoD:MW campaign surprisingly entertaining, although there were a couple of places in the game that were rather tricky, but all in all it managed to make you (or me, anyway) feel immersed in the game, something that for instance Dragon Rising completely failed at.

A cod game is artificially difficult, its not difficult because the ai is any good. I find it difficult to be immersed in a cod game because it is utter garbage. You can't defend respawning enemies. I should be able to chose how im going too attack a position, its meant to be a war game not UT. Rushing a building solely so the enemy doesn't respawn is beyond stupid and is just poor game design.

You do understand the concept of dedicated servers right? :rolleyes:

I do, but maybe I can?t grasp the reason of the uproar because I play on a console, so I just log in and play. :dunno:

A cod game is artificially difficult, its not difficult because the ai is any good. I find it difficult to be immersed in a cod game because it is utter garbage. You can't defend respawning enemies. I should be able to chose how im going too attack a position, its meant to be a war game not UT. Rushing a building solely so the enemy doesn't respawn is beyond stupid and is just poor game design.

Its called pacing, devs just want you to keep moving

Dude, CoD has never been about tactical realism or whatever. not since day 1 when the first CoD came out for PC like 6 years ago. its supposed to be an experience. your supposed to say "Holy Shit thats awesome!" on a regular basis. Which i did when i played through the intense albeit rather short campaign in CoD4.

When that nuke went off and your in that helicopte crashing, Holy Fuck

I'll grant you The AI isnt that great, but IW has done a lot of work with the AI for this new game, so it will definately be better. But hey, if you dont want your mind blown with "Holy Shit thats awesome" moments galore, you can keep playing flashpoint or some other tactical borefest

Ok so yes the enemy tends to shoot at you a lot more than at your teammates. But it was never meant to be a wargame or simulation, it's just a shooter with a very light touch of realism, set against the background of a war. If it's realism, tactics and freedom of choice you have to go with a more serious game. CoD is all about the action.

Dude, CoD has never been about tactical realism or whatever. not since day 1 when the first CoD came out for PC like 6 years ago. its supposed to be an experience. your supposed to say "Holy Shit thats awesome!" on a regular basis. Which i did when i played through the intense albeit rather short campaign in CoD4.

When that nuke went off and your in that helicopte crashing, Holy Fuck

I'll grant you The AI isnt that great, but IW has done a lot of work with the AI for this new game, so it will definately be better. But hey, if you dont want your mind blown with "Holy Shit thats awesome" moments galore, you can keep playing flashpoint or some other tactical borefest

Exactly that. It's just you running around in a heavily scripted, linear world (that becomes rather boring after you've seen it all) playing the game the way the developers wanted you to play it and giving you these nice 'holy shit!' moments every now and then. It's not about "what's the best way to take out an enemy stronghold" and more about sprinting from cover to cover and securing ground. But comparing CoD to OFP isn't quite fair because they are completey different genres, and both offer fun to their respective fans.

I do, but maybe I can?t grasp the reason of the uproar because I play on a console, so I just log in and play. :dunno:

your upstream at home = crap (in most cases anyway)
your ping (delay between input and game response) when playing on your own local server = 0 = unfair advantage over other players
small upstream = only a very limited number of players can join before the ping [for them] becomes unbearable

dedicated server = huge bandwidth = huge number of maximum players (i.e. BF2 with 64 players per map) but still very low ping and everyone is on the same level (no advantage for the one hosting the game).

Last edited:
your upstream at home = crap (in most cases anyway)
your ping (delay between input and game response) when playing on your own local server = 0 = unfair advantage over other players
small upstream = only a very limited number of players can join before the ping [for them] becomes unbearable

dedicated server = huge bandwidth = huge number of maximum players (i.e. BF2 with 64 players per map) but still very low ping and everyone is on the same level (no advantage for the one hosting the game).

I understand all of that. The thing is that I played CoD 4 recently and didn?t had any problems, so from my point of view I have nothing to complaint about. Matchmaking was fast, no ping problems and a great multiplayer experience. I sure can understand people wanting to run a dedicates server, what I can?t understand is people acting under the assumption that the game is "ruined" and the singleplayer mode is crap.

Man playing with 64 players in BF2 was SOOO much fun. The maps were HUGE and there was so much to do. Damn i miss that game.

There's a definite 'Holy Fuck' moment in the leaked footage I saw. Don't read this unless you want a plot detail spoiled (although it's one of the early missions)

The ultra-nationalists shoot up an airport full of civilians, police and swat teams. You play as one of the ultra-nationalists. Most of the mission is shooting civilians.

Last edited:
I understand all of that. The thing is that I played CoD 4 recently and didn?t had any problems, so from my point of view I have nothing to complaint about. Matchmaking was fast, no ping problems and a great multiplayer experience. I sure can understand people wanting to run a dedicates server, what I can?t understand is people acting under the assumption that the game is "ruined" and the singleplayer mode is crap.

For PC clans it is kind of ruined though. Our sense of community won't work with MW2 because (as has already been said in this thread) people are used to playing on the same servers all the time with the rules/maps/mods/people that they like, and since there won't be any more server browser or dedicated servers, this is no longer possible because now you'll just be placed into some random "match" instead of their usual favorite server. Also, the person hosting the match could have a really crappy connection or they could pull the plug at any time, which is something that never happens on good dedicated servers. We're also used to playing on servers with 24-32 players or more.......but there aren't going to be very many people that are going to be able to host a match that big in MW2 on their home connection, but wouldn't be an issue at all with a dedicated server. This will be completely different and a big downgrade from the type of COD PC gaming we have come to know and love for years now. You may not understand it if you're not a PC gamer, but for those of us who are, it's a HUGE change.....and a definite deal-breaker.

Last edited:

I know what COD is and what it isn't. And it what it is, is COD2 with a different dress on (in terms of the campaign). I loved COD2, i could put up with the stupid respawning enemies because i felt like i was achieving something an being part of the game. The same emotion of COD2 is not carried through to the newer games at all and with the stupid AI and the jerky gameplay, its just a mess that isn't at all enjoyable.

I don't play Flash point or Arma or anthing like that. I've spent most of my time playing BF2 and FEAR online which are far better games and more enjoyable. Bf2 has its problems, a lot of problems but even the AI in the game can be enjoyable with a bit of tweaking and very little comes close to a bf2 game where your working perfectly in a 6 man squad. FEAR has the best combat system of game i've ever played and it is by far the most enjoyable online experience i've had, its too bad the numbers have dwindled and the clans have left.

I don't see any of these holy shit awesome moments you speak of it in COD4, in fact i don't have any memories of the campaign i played 2 years ago; i do however have a good memory of COD2 which i havent played for years which goes to show how much of a better game it is.

Ok so yes the enemy tends to shoot at you a lot more than at your teammates. But it was never meant to be a wargame or simulation, it's just a shooter with a very light touch of realism, set against the background of a war. If it's realism, tactics and freedom of choice you have to go with a more serious game. CoD is all about the action.

COD is half action, and half re-doing what you just did because the force guided bullets of the enemy killed you on the other side of the small level.

Exactly that. It's just you running around in a heavily scripted, linear world (that becomes rather boring after you've seen it all) playing the game the way the developers wanted you to play it and giving you these nice 'holy shit!' moments every now and then. It's not about "what's the best way to take out an enemy stronghold" and more about sprinting from cover to cover and securing ground. But comparing CoD to OFP isn't quite fair because they are completey different genres, and both offer fun to their respective fans.

The developers shouldn't be able to chose the way i thread myself through the battlefield, they already chose whats going to happen and where im going so why do they have to chose how i engage the enemy? Its far to close to an interactive movie. Running from cover to cover is not always an effective way of dealing with a problem and it often requires you to keep sprinting forward under fire just so you can kill the enemy and make them stay down. COD5 in this respect was beyond stupid; the part of the last level where you have to take out the 4 flak 88's before entering the reichstag just screams shit design. Often you would find yourself in a part where they would lob a mass of grenades at you, so you have to advance forward and when you finally moved forward they throw another mass volley and you have to run straight back. If COD5 was built on crysis for example, you could slowly pick your enemies off and depending on how they set the ai up, the ai would rush you while sending other members to flank your position.

The maps on COD are excellent and the maps on cod5 were beautiful, if they had a proper ai system they would of been excellent to play through, even having bf2 levels of ai would of made it a fun experience.

You've clearly never played on dedicated servers if you are unable to grasp how important it is. Do you do any online pc gaming?

Last edited: