new guardian article about TG

The article does contain a couple of small spoilers near the bottom.

The pair learned in boarding school that there was a limit to punishments ? they already had bad food and early bedtime ? so they felt almost untouchable. "Which is why I can't be arsed with Ofcom," Wilman says of their frequent brushes with authority. (The latest was this week, when the regulator ruled that Top Gear breached broadcasting regulations with its spoof VW advert depicting a suicide.) "If the BBC get cross with us, we struggle to take it seriously."

If personality clashes don't kill Top Gear (these days, the presenters sound increasingly convincing when they describe how much they dislike each other), then budget cuts might. On BBC orders, Top Gear has cut costs this year and must do so again next year. Wilman is worried that its lavish films ? "our signature dish" ? will suffer. It has been reported that each show costs ?100,000, but "it's more than that," Wilman brags. "We spend that on crisps."

My favorite parts.

A few inaccuracies, but not too bad- I like how JC is described as a "professional stirrer":lol:

..including the picture caption! Jeremy!? in a stripy jumper?! really?

Otherwise v entertaining and amusing. And gives the lie to the often heard cry on here The Grauniad hates Top Gear". Clearly not all of them do.

..including the picture caption! Jeremy!? in a stripy jumper?! really?

Otherwise v entertaining and amusing. And gives the lie to the often heard cry on here The Grauniad hates Top Gear". Clearly not all of them do.

When I saw the picture caption identifing the pilot as Jeremy, I knew something was up having read several weeks ago about James' blimp crash-the Grauniad is not so good at fact checking as well as spelling :lol:

Whoops, sorry about the spoilers, I obviously needed to read more carefully, I was just so excited about starting my first thread!

Last edited:
When I saw the picture caption identifing the pilot as Jeremy, I knew something was up having read several weeks ago about James' blimp crash-the Grauniad is not so good at fact checking as well as spelling :lol:

I especially loved the part about:

"Hammond's Triumph Herald with a sail sunk in minutes and a coastguard called them irresponsible."

And..:

"When Hammond returned to Top Gear, Clarkson handed him a tissue in case he started "dribbling" ? another crass joke that was jumped on by critics."

It was James you silly writers! :p

Basically a Top Gear preseason guide for dummies. A quick glance through the comments section reveals majority of The Guardian's readership still vehemently oppose Top Gear.

Basically a Top Gear preseason guide for dummies. A quick glance through the comments section reveals majority of The Guardian's readership still vehemently oppose Top Gear.

Probally migrated from the Daily Fail after hearing the Guardian had a TG story/piece.

This same article has also appeared on the Daily Mail website. The only difference is, they have added the following caption to the link on their homepage.

How Top Gear Conquered the World: Crass show is loved in over 100 countries. And all thanks to sniggering school chum who makes Clarkson seem grown-up.

Not the sub-editor's favourite show, then

Daily Fail is on form, then. ;)

Wow, even they managed to get a bit in about Hammonds crash.

This was my favourite comment of the only page I bothered to read, because I knew the majority would be smug/angsty/self-consciously superior/self-righteous wittering crap.
It expressed my view brilliantly

Somebody named DNAtheist wrote:

"Probably the simplest way to know whether you will get on with someone is if you share a similar sense of humour (presuming you have one in the first place - I've met people who don't and they are awful in the extreme).

So, in the un-PC spirit of Clarkson et al, I'd like to comment on one of the reasons I appreciate the show:

Top Gear provides a great gauge for the above because I can be pretty certain that I won't get on with someone who doesn't enjoy Top Gear as they, almost exclusively, come across as boring sanctimonious bastards with their heads up their self-righteous bottoms. The fact that Top Gear annoys the hell out of such people I find an absolute pleasure."

Well said Sir or Madam! :thumbsup:

This reminded me of the article where Jezza said when he and his wife Francie go to a dinner party with new people, she will drop the word c*nt into conversation as soon as possible. If they are offended by it, she knows not to waste any further time on them! :lol: Francie rocks!

May I just point out I do read The Graundian on a Saturday, belong to the H&IOW Wildlife Trust and the RSPB.
I also like funny irreverent blokes and beautiful cars. And I have a sense of humour! :p

Actually I thought there was an unusually high proportion of positive comments - for the Guardian.

Best comment: "What's the big deal? It's a TV show, not the apocalypse"