Pontiac Fiero as first car? Thoughts...

Just get her this. http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1442097781.html Nothing is wrong with it and its damn cool!

camarostereotypes.jpg

:lol:

Ugh... that, thing... I'm not even sure its a woman, is nasty.

Anyway I think you guys are having too much fun with this now. I'm going for a FWD car for her to start out with... not a RWD car with a V8. Are you crazy? She'll have the thing in a ditch or tree in non time!

We have a couple more cars to look at this weekend at which point she may decide on one. Otherwise we will be waiting for some others to come up for sale. Have to be patient right now as there isn't much to choose from.

My first car was RWD V8... I never even scratched it.

It's all about the attitide of the driver, not the setup of the car. IMO... that F-bird would be a great first car. Easy to work on... lots of parts availibility for cheap... fun enough when it wants to be, but still a comfortable DD.

I know it's a rwd V8 but if she crashes it you can fix that thing with a wrench and duck tape. Plus in a crash she would do better in that than in a little Eco box of some sort. Also from what I've seen, insurance seems to be cheaper on old American cars. If you want a light rwd car with a tiny engine, get a 240sx. The little KA engines seem to go on forever. There is one catch! Don't be suprised if she starts coming home saying how big of a drift she did.

Last edited:
Or, if you don't want something as "sporty" you could always go for a Monte Carlo/Malibu/Caprice/Cutlass from the early 80s/late 70s. That way you get all the cheap parts/easy to fix-ness without the "racer" style. Unless of coarse that's waht she is looking for.

Then again, you are talking to someone who has one of their dream cars as a 78 G-Body Chevy.

It's even less reliable. DSM != reliable transport.

+1

As a first gen DSM owner, I can tell you from experience this is absolutely true. Stay away from DSM if you want a reliable car.

$1500 is not a lot of budget to work with, maybe if you can find a first gen Honda Prelude or a seceond gen Integra LS. They are still sporty and they are reliable.

I guess a Geo Metro would be an option, but those are probably crappier than Micras.

I've always liked the looks of Saturn coupes and Geo Storms..

[YOUTUBE]fYwMDBgFoIo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]a9YuG2Ge4SQ[/YOUTUBE]

I thought this was a nice comparo.

Oh God thank you for reminding me that my hatred of MotorWeak is timeless. Damned show is like learning about sex by reading Grey's Anatomy. And it hasn't changed a bit.