What to look for in a camcorder?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
I would like to get a camcorder at some point. I want to use it mostly for documenting my off road trips and such. I plan to build a mount that will attach to the dash and point out the windscreen.

Honestly, I know fuck-all about video cameras, the last one my family had was made around 1989. So what features should I look for? Since I plan on using the camera while on the road, an easily replaceable media is important. A HDD is out, I don't want to haul a laptop with a big external drive along on my trips. I also need something that can function through the vibration of off road and dirt road driving.

Of course the smaller the camera, the better.

I don't need something that is really state-of-art. A used camera that is a couple years old will be fine if it has the ability to do what I want at a more reasonable cost.

Night vision for those special dark moments.

Giggity.

Shouldn't this be in technology?

Well, don't get a DVD camcorder. Those are awful because getting the video on your computer to edit is a great pain. I personally think tape/MiniDV camcorders are also to be avoided because I've dealt with several nightmare tape corruptions. That leaves SD-card and HDD cams, my recommendation. SD-card cams are cheaper and just as functional as the HDD ones with a class 6 SDHC card, so that is probably a good option.

I am not too up on the market otherwise, as it has been a while since my last camcorder purchase, but based on what I have seen, Sanyo seems to offer a lot of camera for the price.

BetaMax.

Though if you want something less awesome solid state is always good.

Panasonic and Sony offer the best lenses, but Sonys don't tend to take SD cards - only expensive Sony Memory Stick Pros etc.