Optical Illusion Thread

Haha, these are awesome I love these things....

btw, whats supposed to happen with the pink things going round in a circle? Maybe it didn't work coz of my glasses... but? :S

Works fine with my glasses. Basically the empty space becomes a green dot.

... and the purple dots start to fade/disappear (I think that's the main point of it, not the green dot).

AH! I see it now... lol, my eyes must not have been working properly before. These are really great, any more??

^ Your brain likes things to be in order and will fudge the details slightly so that the image you see is constant (google: image constancy). It's not unrelated to the phenomena of not having a hole in your vision where your blind spot/optical nerve is.

How is that possible? :)

Because we don't actually see "colours" as we think we are. Our vision is very dependent on contrasts, and contrast is what makes us tell a colour from another. If you are under the light of a standard lightbulb, at night, and you look at a white sheet of paper, for example, you will see and say the paper is white, even if it is in fact yellow (very much yellow) because of the light of the lightbulb. Your brain is compensating to help you, and seeing that everything is yellowish around, your brain will use the contrast between colours to determine what colour is what and make you tell white is white even if it's yellow.

But our brain can not compensate for everything: when contrast is too soft, expecially if compared with other forms around, our brain will think it is a uniform colour. This is what happens here: the shapes actually change colour, passing from a lighter gray at the top to a darker one at the bottom. Every one of them. This changing happens so slowly, if compared to the sudden jump of tone between one shape and the next, that our brain is not able to see it if we don't concentrate. So we are lead to see the whole image as getting lighter at the bottom.

The white triangles in the upper part are used to make us think the upper grey shapes are darker than what they really are, while the same is not done at the bottom, to make us think the grey is lighter. (just as in the other illusion in this thread).

Last edited:
That's awesome!

And confusing at the same time...

:|

That's the best example of that phenomenon I've seen. :) It's like when a car on TV is driving forwards quickly, but the wheel is spinning backwards, slowly.

V= Me, too.

Last edited:
If you soom in really close (~ 1500%) you can see that the "blue" parts do have quite thick blue lines around their borders though. Not saying it's no optical illusion, but I think that probably plays a part in it too.

If you soom in really close (~ 1500%) you can see that the "blue" parts do have quite thick blue lines around their borders though. Not saying it's no optical illusion, but I think that probably plays a part in it too.

I call bollox on that one, with a bitmap, the adjacent colours really make a difference, and there are more dark blue bits than there are light green bits.

Last edited:
I think the blue lines are a matter of resizing the original image and the algorithm that was used. There are no colored lines in the original image, and it still works:

Ooops! Yeah, I admit I was wrong there. I used a FF plugin to zoom in on the image, and the algorythm it used blurred the edges. :oops:

The color spirals make an interesting effect when you scroll the page as well.