If you could live in any decade...

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
If you could live, perpetually, in any decade which one would you chose? Also you may want to include location as this would change a lot of thing.

For me it would be 1920s America. Probably New York City or Chicago. The attitude of the day was one of great promise. The cars were fast, the architecture was good and it seems like everything was just upbeat. I think the 1920s embodies the American dream realized, from which it slowly degraded into what we have today. Sure it was more dangerous, but that makes it more exciting.

Duesenberg_Convertible_SJ_LA_Grand_Dual-Cowl_Phaeton_1935.jpg

42nd_street_chrysler_building.jpg

StLouis1920s.jpg

This sort of summarizes the entire romance of the 1920s:
skycaptain_1_1%20copy.jpg

I would have loved to live during the Industrial Revolution! Although I would only like it if I was either an engineer or a tycoon of some sorts cause being a worker must have been very hard those days.

1969. Screw the decade, I'd just take that year. It seems to be thats when everyone thought the future would be amazing, we'd build cities on mars and stuff. Peace and love baby!

Last edited:
1450s Constantinople.

If you could live, perpetually, in any decade which one would you chose?[...]
That little word perpetually kind of ruins it for me and makes me want to stay right here, right now. I?d love to visit the 1920ies ... Berlin or Paris must have been awsome ... it?s one of the most fascinating of times for me too ...
But live there permanently? :| No thank you.

I'm going to have to pull a James May and say the best time is now. I can't think of any time in the past that was truly better than now and not just romanticized as such in novels and movies. There are many ways I don't fit into our modern society, but I know it'd be even worse in the past. Can you imagine living in an age before antibiotics? I would have died before age 10 without what is now basic medical care.

efoolution has brought up an interesting point. I think I'd love to visit every decade. A week or two for summer vacation would be nice. :)

I'm going to have to pull a James May and say the best time is now. I can't think of any time in the past that was truly better than now and not just romanticized as such in novels and movies. There are many ways I don't fit into our modern society, but I know it'd be even worse in the past. Can you imagine living in an age before antibiotics? I would have died before age 10 without what is now basic medical care.

This. We really don't know how well we have it until it's gone.

Granted, I would like to spend a while in the 20s too: picking up flappers, Tommy-gunning cops from the running boards of my DeSoto, and smoking "jazz cigarettes." :D

You guys are going to spoil the thread with your rational thinking. Stop :lol:

You guys are going to spoil the thread with your rational thinking. Stop :lol:

"And furthermore, there is no basis for time travel, as it is currently impossible to invent a device that can transmit matter across..." :idiot:

966.jpg

would like to have a word with you :p

i would like to spend some time in the 90's and some in the 70's

Oh, snap!

Visiting a different time period is one thing. Staying there is an entirely different beast. I wouldn't want to leave the modern world knowing that I wouldn't be able to go back.

But if I were able to visit the past for a bit... Late 1960s/early 1970s, followed by probably the 1920s. Not sure if I'd want to go back further than that.

Not even to the year 600? Visit Camelot? Dine well and do footwork impecable?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGpVcdqeS0[/YOUTUBE]

I want to live in the decade in the future when FTL travel is commonplace and humans have colonized other galaxies.

No, I'm serious.

And you people who think the 20s were so great... child labor. Flu epidemic. Poor sewer planning. Lack of a fire brigade. No defined work week. Have fun!

The 80s, baby!

I'm going to go with some time in the future once we have worked out faster that light travel and all of that sort of thing.

Though I would like to visit pretty much every decade of the 1900s.

The 80s, baby!
I?ve been there for 10 whole years ... and trust me ... you don?t want that. No, seriously ... you don?t. The 80ies are nice in a sort of "let?s just remember the quirky stuff and forget the rest" way. But not the whole package. I get scared when I just think about it.

I?d love to go about 4600 years back ... there was some construction going on I?d want to see happen ...

pyramiden_6.jpg