Best apps from app store (iPod/iPhone)

Yeah, but it has a damn good cockpit view and pretty good use of the accelerometer steering. :D

Also, another good (puzzle) game is Electric Box Lite, where you have to use various devices to get power from the power supply to the object that needs to be powered (nice soundtrack too.) Just don't buy the full game because it's available on candystand.com. :)

ProTuner (brand new release of DragRacer)
AlpineCrawler (rwd truck on alpine courses)
AppBox Pro (big bunch of cool small apps)
DragRacer (old game, but still fun)
Tiki Towers (building bamboo towers for monkey's to climb)
Worms (need no description, awesome)

I found a few new ones that I really like:

Talking Carl
iReverse (speech reverser...Tuo kool!!)
geoDefense Swarm (Tower defense with lasers and missiles)
Sheep Free (a keep-em-up game)

has anyone tried that GT Racing Academy game (think thats the right name), the one with 100 cars etc? cant decide if its worth getting or not. Wish more games had demos/lite versions so could try them out before buying.

has anyone tried that GT Racing Academy game (think thats the right name), the one with 100 cars etc? cant decide if its worth getting or not. Wish more games had demos/lite versions so could try them out before buying.

I have it and I quite like it. The control system works quite well (apart from the manual gears). There is plenty of variety to keep it interesting and the more powerful cars are a challenge to drive. Having Laguna Seca and Monaco (a dodgy version of) is nice as well.

what is the control system like? what i really liked about Real Racing is that could do the steering on the screen which i found better for small movements. might sound like an odd thing to ask but how are the sounds to? does the 458 sound anything like it in real life (minor thing but just curious)

Stair Dismount: So fun, I bought the full version for $2! :D

any one have/had this years or last years Official F1 app, if so what did you think of it?

Overpriced crap. It does nothing more than show you a timing (which you can see live for free) and a lagging map of the track. Sometimes you get information in a very short ticker like form, definitely not worth it.

For the Jailbreakers:

I got this working now and it's fucking brilliant. No more reason to blame the iPhone for no multitasking, it works flawlessly. What you need:

Cydia, Big Boss Repo, then get Backgrounder and ProSwitcher, Re-Spring, done. Perfect.

I just installed this on my iPhone and I absolutely LOVE it! This is a must-have for any jailbroken iPhone user!!

*bumpage*

You heard that right, people -- iPhone OS 4 just brought multitasking to the platform! Apple says they've figured out how to implement third party multitasking without hurting performance or battery life, and they're demoing it now -- you just double click the home button and see a list of your apps, and you can just tap to switch between apps. The system actually runs the services apps need in the background -- the apps don't need to do them individually, so it's not a "true" multitasking system, but it seems plenty effective. There are seven services: background audio, which allows you to use the standard pop-over iPod controls, Voice over IP, which can receive calls in the background, location services for GPS and social networking (there's an indicator if any service is tracking you), updated push notifications with local notifications, task completion so you can finish things like uploads in the background, and fast app switching, which lets apps sleep and resume instantly. Notably missing? Anything for managing a conversation, like IM or Twitter, which is a big omission. Win some, lose some, we suppose.

Update: Here's a big "lose some" -- only the iPhone 3GS and 3rd generation (late 2009) iPod touch will support multitasking. The iPhone 3G and below won't -- Steve says the hardware doesn't support it. Sad face.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/multitasking-comes-to-iphone-os-4-0/

Its awesome that multitasking is coming to the iPhone OS. I am quite a bit crossed though, having that none of my devices can take advantage of it (iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G). I can understand why they would leave it out on the iPhone, but I think the iPod Touch 2G is more than capable of handling multitasking. Still can't wait to upgrade my phone to a 4.0 jailbreak though.

My 220 MHz Windows Mobile phone handled multitasking just fine, I certainly would hope the iPhone 3G could too...

It can and DOES (when it's jailbroken). I'm pretty sure Apple could have done it. I didn't realize how much more convenient it is to have multitasking before, especially with modern smart phones being capable of doing so much.

I am addicted to this app called Words with Friends, playing with my brother right now:

http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/5201/wordsq.jpg

Recomended! (Yes, I know he is crushing me...)

I find it funny that the "acceptable" performance level for Jobs is exactly the line between the 3G and the 3GS, and the line between the 2G and 3G Ipod Touch.

I <3 Apple's business practices. They are turning into Micro$oft.

I find it funny that the "acceptable" performance level for Jobs is exactly the line between the 3G and the 3GS, and the line between the 2G and 3G Ipod Touch.

I <3 Apple's business practices. They are turning into Micro$oft.

It's to sell more phones, so that they can... guess what... make more money. Genious isn't it? They are totally on their own doing that.

Last edited:
Opera Mini is out on the App Store for free :cool: The speed of this browser is amazing. Tabbed browsing is very well integrated and the controls are awesome. I didn't really like the rather "on and off" feeling zoom where its either zoomed in or zoomed out. Some of the pages don't really load correctly, and thats about it really! It's not going to replace my Safari browser soon, but I have a feeling that it might in the near future. Kudos to the Opera team for their amazing work. :)

My Rating: 3.8/5. With an update or two, it could easily replace Safari.

Interestingly I had the exact same complaints about the Android version (I was using a beta though). I'll look back into it.