How many times do you wiggle your stick?

How many times do you wiggle your stick?

• Less than one wiggle

Votes: 38 29.9%
  • One wiggle

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Two wiggles

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • Three wiggles, or more!

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wiggle it all night long, baby! YEAH!

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • I don't have a stick, but if I did, I'd wiggle a lot. You hear me... a LOT.

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
:lol: I wonder what Germans dread more: their political and military past, or David Hasselhoff.

I do not wiggle as much as I slap once to the left.

That sounds minorly painful. I certainly would NOT slap my stick around...

one tick i do have is that to change into first I go to second first, so that's left, down, up. I'm trying to get rid of it.

I might wiggle a bit if I'm bored, but mostly I prefer to stroke the stick.

No, seriously. :|

I don?t wiggle to check if I?m in neutral. When my car is in neutral I know it?s in neutral because I?m the one who put it in neutral.
I don't trust my memory. If it's only been a short time, then sure, there's no need for the wiggle. But sometimes I'll end up coasting with the clutch in and end up unsure of which gear I left the lever in. If the lever is to the left or right, I can tell which gear it's in. But when it's in the middle, it's difficult for me to tell 3, 4, and neutral apart while concentrating on the moving vehicle and everything that entails. A quick little wiggle clears things up in a way that doesn't distract me from the road.

I drove an S2000 with a short throw shifter where the throw was... too short. The guy kept downshifting to 1st instead of 3rd. Thankfully, none ended up being a "money shift," but still.

I usually just push it to the left to make sure its in neutral.

On a related note:

Last edited:
I never used to wiggle, but I just changed my ride last week. Now I wiggle quite a bit. I'm a two and a half wiggler. Left Right Left Right Left... I think my shifting hand gets bored at stoplights.

I think my shifting hand gets bored at stoplights.
I KNOW my shifting hand gets bored on long 5th gear stretches. I can't even count the number of times I've tried to shift into a nonexistant sixth gear during a particularly badass driving song.

i wiggle it untill i feel satisfied that i have wiggled it enough and the urge has left me

anyone else thinks of this song when reading the title

Depends what I'm driving.

In the bus, I wiggle it twice because the gears are loose and the throw is long, it's also not uncommon for one of the other staff to have moved it or something and we all park them differently. More if it's a vehicle I'm not used to driving.

In my car, just half a wiggle. I know it backwards, and no one else drives it, but sometimes I just want to make absolutely sure.

Mom wiggles the stick all the time, extremely annoying when I ride with her. I don't wiggle at all, I have a pedal that I push once when I start and then I know what gear I'm in. I abstain from voting.

When I first drove, it was in a fairly worn out Mazda 121, and the gearbox was not in a condition I would describe as 'accurate'. That combined with the fact it was the first time I had driven a car, meant I would wiggle it twice - left-right-left-right.

I don't wiggle. Despite my age, my proprioceptive skills are such that I can tell the car is in neutral by simply putting my hand on the stick. If I moved my seating position around alot or my arms started to shorten, this technique would fail, but my epiphyses all fused long ago, so there is no likelihood of that happening.

Half a wiggle, one push of the stick to the left if I do it at all.

I might wiggle a bit if I'm bored, but mostly I prefer to stroke the stick.

I tend to play with the knob. :lol: I've had male passengers that have had their gaze riveted to my hand when I'm stopped at traffic lights. Bad habit I have to get out of. :grin:

I recently had to replace the knob due to wear.

I think you need to find something else to play with.

After I took a drive I realize I don't wiggle as much as I originally said. Usually when I do, it is one wiggle (or half wiggle?), Left-Center. I find myself doing it at startup and sometimes when I'm sitting at a light.

I find myself doing it at startup and sometimes when I'm sitting at a light.

Same here. It's pretty easy to tell when my car is in neutral, but I don't like taking my eyes off the road or making too many assumptions when I drive. I wiggle the stick even when I know I'm in neutral. I check my mirrors and blindspots even when I know I'm clear. I use my signals even when I know I'm alone on the road. etc.

I do no wiggles. I put it in neutral and am not worried about it going back into gear.