Stupid Driver Stories

Territory driver, headed for a two lane roundabout in lane 1. Enters first quarter and indicates left which is perfectly reasonable from this lane. Promptly turns right into lane 2. Getz driver currently occupying lane 2 level with the Territory driver ends up the gutter and into the middle of the not so decorative patch of dirt. Territory driver honks horn and continues on. Helpful mazda driver provides most of the plate registration and witness contact details as Getz is now listing rather badly left and front wheels are not aligned. Although older male Getz driver didn't have a heart attack, he sure looked like he was going to.

Now a peeve of mine. Every day I travel the full length of a 5km stretch of road, one lane either way with a very wide bike lane down the outside of each lane. Road was originally wide enough for two lanes both directions, but the addition of the bike lane has reduced it. Speed limit is 80kph. A set of traffic lights at the western end has two lanes before and immediately after, and once through the lights, the road tightens to the one lane. Along the length of this road are three left and three right turnoffs (main road is a feeder road to the suburbs). For each turn, there is a slip lane, regardless of which direction you are travelling. The idea being that the vehicles travelling through stays in the main lane, while those turning off pull into the slip lane, decelerate and make their turn. This concept seems to be beyond my fellow drivers. Instead they insist on either crawling up to their corner in the main through lane and making their turn from that lane or drifting into the very end of the slip lane after they have slowed to 20kph, or they slow down to 30kph in the main lane before they pull into the slip lane and then they crawl up the slip lane until they reach the turn. Oh, and the dickheads who have an overwhelming need to be first off at the lights to get to be first up the road and then jam on the brakes so they can make the first turn off (from the main lane). I want large caliber front facing weaponry installed. And I want it NOW!!!

Old woman in a small dark red car. I'm walking along the side of the road. There is a 4 way intersection ahead.

The old woman gets into the MIDDLE (we're talking dead center now..) of the intersection, but realizes it is red. What does she do? She stops RIGHT IN THE CENTER of a busy 4 way intersection, and sits there for the duration of the red light. Despite people honking and every single person present cursing in their head, she didn't move.

:shock:

ALSO:

People who pull out of turns that aren't *really* blind turns (just move up 2 feet and look, dammit!) see me cruising towards them at 40mph and STOOOOOPPPP. Who do you think you are? A deer in my headlights?

Last edited:
ALSO:

People who pull out of turns that aren't *really* blind turns (just move up 2 feet and look, dammit!) see me cruising towards them at 40mph and STOOOOOPPPP. Who do you think you are? A deer in my headlights?

That is a good description of most peeps.

This one is great. And involves a cyclist.

I was at a small t-intersection between a small street and a major road. The intersection has a pculiar layout, and the traffic light has two phases: During the first one the drivers on the major road are allowed to go straight on or turn right into the small road. During the second phase the drivers on the major road are stopped with the exception of those turning -left- into the small street, while the drivers on the small street may proceed to only turn right onto the major road. It was night.

Well, I was queueing to turn left from the major road into the small street. The light had just turned green for my line when I noticed, lighted only by the headlamps of other cars, a cyclist running the red light coming from the opposite direction. Luckily, I wasn't the only one noticing him; the car in front of me, who was rightfully turning left, noticed him too and braked to avoid running him over. The cyclist swerved quite wildly then regained his position on the road just to meet, on his way, a car eightfully exiting from the small street and turning legally right into the major street. The cyclist was quite lucky and had good reflexes, avoided the second crash in a few second and then went on.

At that point I couldn't help myself and shouted "as***le" at him through my open window. I am sure he heard me.

i really dislike people who ride like that, i don't always follow rules when i ride, but i never ever make myself a danger to other people, like the idiot you described ^

i really dislike people who ride like that, i don't always follow rules when i ride, but i never ever make myself a danger to other people, like the idiot you described ^

Yesyes, you clearly are one of the good, mature, responsible, not obnoxious cyclists, the ones that every cyclist I have ever met insists he is one of.
Unfortunatly , in 10+ years of driving 25K+ miles a year, I have never met any of you on the road, go figure that :rolleyes:

In the parking lot of a popular coffee shop, there is a long lineup to get in the drivethrough, which takes up one of the entry lanes. Another entry is close by, so what people who know what they're doing do is enter in the other entry, and exit beside the drivethrough people. This is what I was doing.

A lady in a Corolla, by contrast, decides to come enter beside the drive through people, which means she's in the oncoming lane. Then, she suggests that I am going the wrong way and keeps motioning for me to go down some other lane in the lot with spastic hand motions. I don't, because I'm not going to take a ridiculous route out so confused lady can drive down the wrong way of the street, and she finally gives up and goes the wrong way down the next road. Genius, lady.

People like that... are on a whole different level of stupid than most other stupid drivers. There are peope who do stupid stuff while driving, and then there are people who insist on doing stupid stuff while driving.

See these kind of drivers every day, but today had the king of them infront of me. People who cut corners when turning left. I arrived at a junction without lights nor signs (Priority-to-the-right) and on the road ahead was a silver corolla waiting to turn (left) into the road I was coming out of. I wanted to turn right and since both roads have 2 Lanes (1 in each direction) both of us could have just driven, even though the Corolla had the right of way ... if the corolla driver had taken a normal corner that is and had not decided that turning a corner means cutting it in a way that you need both lanes (of the road you?re coming from and both of the one you?re turning into). So I ended up hitting the brakes hard and he ended up the same way with his cars side some centimeters infront of me. Since I had advanced something like a meter into the junction already, at the angle he was trying to take the corner, he now couldn?t even make the corner anymore and I even had to back down again to let him pass (It was his right of way after all). Some people make the most basic driving skills and basic interaction with other drivers seem like it?s something really, really hard ...

Yesyes, you clearly are one of the good, mature, responsible, not obnoxious cyclists, the ones that every cyclist I have ever met insists he is one of.
Unfortunatly , in 10+ years of driving 25K+ miles a year, I have never met any of you on the road, go figure that :rolleyes:
You just don't notice the responsible ones.

See these kind of drivers every day, but today had the king of them infront of me. People who cut corners when turning left. I arrived at a junction without lights nor signs (Priority-to-the-right) and on the road ahead was a silver corolla waiting to turn (left) into the road I was coming out of. I wanted to turn right and since both roads have 2 Lanes (1 in each direction) both of us could have just driven, even though the Corolla had the right of way ... if the corolla driver had taken a normal corner that is and had not decided that turning a corner means cutting it in a way that you need both lanes (of the road you?re coming from and both of the one you?re turning into). So I ended up hitting the brakes hard and he ended up the same way with his cars side some centimeters infront of me. Since I had advanced something like a meter into the junction already, at the angle he was trying to take the corner, he now couldn?t even make the corner anymore and I even had to back down again to let him pass (It was his right of way after all). Some people make the most basic driving skills and basic interaction with other drivers seem like it?s something really, really hard ...
If you think that's bad, how about people who do that where there are LINES ON THE ROAD THAT SHOW YOU HOW TO TAKE A FUCKING CORNER!!!!
You just don't notice the responsible ones.
They are all responsible... for my road rage!!!!! :D

Corner cutting is a common concern even for careful drivers.

Another stupid driver problem can can be solved by the installation of the Zombie Plow 2000.

Nothing major, but on the way in to work today, I was tailgated for 5 miles by a minivan. In the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. In light traffic.

Sure enough, the guy was on the phone. When he finally passed, he undertook me! I just don't get the thought process behind that. The left lane was open the whole time. Luckily, I was able to demonstrate proper overtaking when he inevitably got stuck behind the slower traffic in the right lane :rolleyes:

Nothing major, but on the way in to work today, I was tailgated for 5 miles by a minivan. In the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. In light traffic.

Sure enough, the guy was on the phone. When he finally passed, he undertook me! I just don't get the thought process behind that. The left lane was open the whole time. Luckily, I was able to demonstrate proper overtaking when he inevitably got stuck behind the slower traffic in the right lane :rolleyes:

Why were you driving in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway? Doesn't your country's law states that one must drive on the right lane as always as possible?

Why were you driving in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway? Doesn't your country's law states that one must drive on the right lane as always as possible?

As I said, the slower traffic in the right lane. Besides, this is MA...

I almost forgot to mention, right as he undertook there was a speed trap. Unfortunately 1) the cop didn't notice or care about the tailgating and undertaking and 2) 75-80 is usually acceptable in a 65 (for once to my disadvantage)

Last edited:
As I said, the slower traffic in the right lane. Besides, this is MA...

I almost forgot to mention, right as he undertook there was a speed trap. Unfortunately 1) the cop didn't notice or care about the tailgating and undertaking and 2) 75-80 is usually acceptable in a 65 (for once to my disadvantage)

I understand there was no traffic at all when first read your post. Here in Portugal, people tend to always drive in the middle lane, I prefer the most-right lane, because it's always free of traffic and that way I end up going faster than the idiots in the middle and most-left lane always stuck behind eachother's asses.

I understand there was no traffic at all when first read your post. Here in Portugal, people tend to always drive in the middle lane, I prefer the most-right lane, because it's always free of traffic and that way I end up going faster than the idiots in the middle and most-left lane always stuck behind eachother's asses.

Nah it was light traffic but not nonexistent. It doesn't make sense to always keep right when it means you're constantly weaving in between cars.

We do not have traffic laws in this state :lol:
Also the right hand lane is usually populated by beige toyotas going the speed limit and no one wants to go that slow.

Wonderfully sunken drains on either side of the highway keep me in the middle lane :)