2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Fun fact: in 2007 Newey was around one lap away from the Le Mans podium in the GT2 class in a Ferrari F430 GT2 (result sheet says 309 laps for the 3rd placed car, 308 for the car that Newey drove). And the 3rd placed car had a sizeable shunt with about 2 hours to go, so had it been slightly more comprehensive...

It seems keen doesn't equal good...
Glad to hear he's going to be fine *diplomatic face*

Adrian Newey has just been in a big accident in the BTCC support race, taken to hospital.
Yep, Ginetta G50 Cup support race.

492395422589231885.jpg

19128314232140948577.jpg

2020031572679838283.jpg

Adrian Newey was hospitalised after a racing crash in England at the weekend.

Red Bull's famous technical boss, whose RB6 car has won six grands prix so far in 2010, was contesting the Ginetta support-race during the British touring car round at Snetterton.

Competing in a guest car, the 51-year-old was tipped into a spin before being struck side-on by another competitor.

Briton Newey was removed from the car on a stretcher and taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

Reports said he was talking in the ambulance on the way to hospital but in some pain, and the Ginetta series' boss Lawrence Tomlinson confirmed he had escaped serious injury.

"It's testament to the strength of the G50 roll cage that the car withstood heavy impact and there were no serious injuries," he said.
Sauce...

Hmmm, how did that crash happen?

I've seen less serious crashes with a whole lot more damage done to the car :?

Hmmm, how did that crash happen?

Basically, the #8 car rear-ended Newey's #50 at the exit of a corner, which sent Newey's car into a spin, right into the way of the following #22 car, which hit Newey's car quite hard into the driver's side and took the bigger part of the damage.

See for yourself:

Last edited:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/240764/heidfeld-to-test-pirelli-f1-tyres-on-monday/
Mercedes Grand Prix test and reserve driver Nick Heidfeld is hired by Pirelli to test the tyre manufacturer's first set of Formula 1 tyres Spanish newspaper AS reports on Sunday. According to AS Heidfeld will be testing for three days at Mugello.

Heidfeld, who is currently contracted by Mercedes Grand Prix, will be testing in Italy for Italian tyre manufacturer Pirelli for three days in a Toyota TF109, which is Toyota's 2009 chassis. The three days of testing were not confirmed by Pirelli just yet.

After this, tests in Jerez and Monza are also planned.

It seems strange to me that Mercedes is the big team struggling with the tyres, and they are the ones who essentially get to test these new ones with Heidfeld. Some strings being pulled I think.

Is there any reason why it's a Toyota TF109? I'm just curious.

Gives no team an unfair advantage. I doubt Merc will be allowed to have any of the telemetry so they won't be getting any advantage.

Gives no team an unfair advantage. I doubt Merc will be allowed to have any of the telemetry so they won't be getting any advantage.

Or all of the teams will get the same set of data as they need it for the 2011 cars?

The Toyota will provide a platform from which they can gather data and pass it on to the teams. It's a 2009 machine so no one can have anykind of advangate.

Any news on Korea, so far I've heard Mid-week Motorsport saying it won't happen.

Bahrain reverts to old layout for 2011

The Bahrain Grand Prix will return to its original circuit layout for the 2011 race, organisers announced on Monday.

Bahrain, which opened the 2010 season, used the extended "endurance track" for this year's edition of the event, as part of the celebrations which marked the 60th anniversary of Formula 1 racing.

However, organisers announced on Monday that the 2011 race will take place in the original layout which has hosted the grand prix since 2004.

The layout used this year made the track longer and slower, with its length increased from 5.412km to 6.299km.

"One of the major tasks we undertook to mark this milestone was implementing changes to our FIA approved track layout, giving the participating teams of the Bahrain Grand Prix a completely new challenge," said Shaikh Salman Bin Isa Al Khalifa of the Bahrain International Circuit.

"It was an enormous task given the time frame we had to implement it, but one that demonstrated Bahrain's characteristics as a race promoter prepared to continually make changes designed to heighten the awareness and increase the levels of presentation associated with the sport of Formula 1."

Good.

More like replace it with the good ol' tracks... Bring back Magny Cours, Donington, Estoril, Zandvoort!