Best Android apps

Silly idea: We should make a Final Gear/Top Gear app.

Great idea, it could be done :) But what to put in it? Episode guides from the main site, maybe?

I've gone back to GPSpeedo, SpeedView's hud is too small for my windscreen and I get nasty double reflections. With GPSpeedo, the numbers are large enough to blend together so it's not so much of a distraction.

What do you guys use to fill up your homescreens? I have vanilla Froyo so I only have 5 screens, and 3 of them are basically empty.

I use a big clock, power control widget, music widget, battery meter, a few radio toggles and a couple of app/folder icons. Only fills up 2 screens and a bit.

What other good widgets are there? My OCD tendencies are flaring up at all the empty widget space.

Edit: I should mention I have no use for social networking, so Facebook/Twitter feeds are useless to me.

Last edited:
What do you guys use to fill up your homescreens? I have vanilla Froyo so I only have 5 screens, and 3 of them are basically empty.

I use a big clock, power control widget, music widget, a few radio toggles and a couple of app/folder icons. Only fills up 2 screens and a bit.

What other good widgets are there? My OCD tendencies are flaring up at all the empty widget space.

Sense, 7 screens:

1) empty
2) fullscreen calendar
3) most app icons
4) (center) small clock, small weather, 4x1 widget for turning off various radios and settings (brightness, GPS, etc), frequently used app icons
5) fullscreen text widget (this is getting buggy, probably going to ditch it for Handcent or similar)
5) fullscreen music widget
7) empty

I could easily do with less but if I have the space, might as well use it.

I don't have Sense currently, so I don't have access to most of those.

The full screen widgets in Sense are nice since they fill up an entire screen but that's also somewhat counterproductive to me... the whole point of widgets is that they don't take up the whole screen area.

I don't have Sense currently, so I don't have access to most of those.

The full screen widgets in Sense are nice since they fill up an entire screen but that's also somewhat counterproductive to me... the whole point of widgets is that they don't take up the whole screen area.

I would agree if I didn't have 7 of the freaking things. It's nice to not have to launch an app, unfortunately in practice they take a while to refresh the display and in the case of the text message widget, it's very buggy.

EDIT: since you got me thinking about it, I ditched the messaging widget, replaced the music one with the small standard Android one (HTC one is nice but takes like 10 seconds to update if you haven't viewed it for a while), and put some lesser used icons in the newfound space. Now 6 and 7 are both blank...

Last edited:

I use a big clock, power control widget, music widget, battery meter, a few radio toggles and a couple of app/folder icons. Only fills up 2 screens and a bit.

Edit: I should mention I have no use for social networking, so Facebook/Twitter feeds are useless to me.

1) colornote shortcut and individual note widgets (I'm slightly forgetful)
2) various apps I don't use daily
3, center) apps I use most often
4) same as 2
5) music widget, dictionary.com word of the day widget, other random shortcuts

I have 4 screens active in my ADW.Launcher at the moment. From left to right, top to bottom:

1) Power control 4x1 widget (customizable in CM 6.0), battery usage and Wif-Fi settings shortcuts, Maps/Nav/Places around me/GPS Status line, Market/System info/Task killer line
2) Main screen: 4x2 Beautiful Widgets Home (large digital clock, date, weather, similar to HTC Sense), 4x1 Smooth Calendar, main apps line (SMS, Contacts, GMail, Voice search)
3) 4x1 Android music widget, 3 lines of mainly-used apps
4) Transdroid widget, some more not so much used app shortcuts, a little empty space.

Phone and browser shortcuts are on the "action buttons" left and right of the app screen button, like in stock 2.2.

Having too many screens or widgets slows the phone down, and having a Magic, I have to reckon with this :)

Last edited:
I love the CM power bar.

What do you guys use to fill up your homescreens?

ADW, 5 homescreens:

1. ? big widget

2. Handcent big widget, Smooth Calendar widget

3. ? small widget, wifi toggle, Handcent small widget, analog clock, 4 shortcuts

4. Toggle for BT and LED, Battery Left widget, 8 shortcuts

5. Meridian small widget, 4 shortcuts

/addicted. I was almost late coming back from lunch.

EDIT: Was talking about Angry Birds, Polly's post didn't show up fort me at first.

Angry birds link doesn't work for me and I can only find a copycat scam in the market. Is it not available on the Hero?

Tracked down a mediafire link for the apk file but the site doesn't seem to work on the phone itself, I'll have to copy it over from my PC when I get home. How do you launch an apk file anyway? I wonder if I can just open it from Astro...

Yes, that's how it works. You can also just download it and launch from the browser's downloaded list.

What do you guys use to fill up your homescreens?

Launcher Pro w/ 4 screens:
  1. Twitter and Facebook
  2. Sense style clock, picture frames w/ pics of my girl
  3. 3 rows of icons, news & weather
  4. Full screen calendar

It suites me.

4? But then, you don't have a center screen.... there will always be more screens to one side than the other... that would kill me.