Post Your Watches

Holy shit Derek, for that price range they damn well better take care of you.

As a side note, all the watches I like are crazy expensive.

Victorinox Chrono Classic XLS MT.

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Chrono-Classic-XLS-MT-D308-XLS-MT-241300.jpg

The wristband is showing a blank steel colour underneath the paint. Does such thing perhaps fall under warranty? I have 3 years of warranty on it and am really annoyed by the wristband looking like this.

I doubt it's covered. It's probably disqualified as being "normal wear and tear" although they would be happy to charge you for a replacement band. That's the trouble with coatings on metal when it's on anything that gets in contact with other hard things, it scratches and flakes. Sorry to be blunt, but for everyday wear you chose the wrong type of band.

Thanks to this thread I'm now shopping for watches, and now you have to help me decide. I've scrolled through about 1500 watches on Amazon and narrowed it down to these three:

Skagen 233XLMTMB - $70
811LzC3FeFL._AA1500_.jpg

I thjink this watch is rather handsome, with a clean, clear face. Everything is easy to see and the coloring is pleasing. Crazy thin - 6mm.

Skagen 809XLTTM - $115
716lBRZxTKL._AA1200_.jpg

Obviously from the same family as the one above, I think this one is equally good looking while being less serious. I've just decided that I actually like it better than the 233, but the higher price makes me hesitate a bit.

Kenneth-Cole Moonface - $175
81y-fWQRFuS._AA1500_.jpg

I think this watch looks awesome, at least in the face. The case and band don't seem to match the design of the face, and give it a less polished look than the others. The price is really well above what I should be looking at, too, but I really like it. I wonder if I could get a woven titanium band for it like the others have.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 809, with the Moonface calling to me, and the 233 in the background, confident in its handsome self and lowest cost by a notable margin.

You all must fix this.

Don't get the Kenneth Cole. Admittedly they aren't as bad as a lot of other fashion watches, but the Skagens will be better.

I doubt it's covered. It's probably disqualified as being "normal wear and tear" although they would be happy to charge you for a replacement band. That's the trouble with coatings on metal when it's on anything that gets in contact with other hard things, it scratches and flakes. Sorry to be blunt, but for everyday wear you chose the wrong type of band.
Well I'm sorry but given the price I did not expect it to have such an easily damaged coating.

I know someone with a Breitling with a similar coloured wristband, but that one doesn't show any of the wear I'm experiencing. I guess that's what you pay the extra dime for with Breitling.

But you are right, warranty will probably not cover it. I guess we'll just have to see how much the jeweler values their customers.

Well I'm sorry but given the price I did not expect it to have such an easily damaged coating.

I know someone with a Breitling with a similar coloured wristband, but that one doesn't show any of the wear I'm experiencing. I guess that's what you pay the extra dime for with Breitling.

But you are right, warranty will probably not cover it. I guess we'll just have to see how much the jeweler values their customers.

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't like the fact these sellers use materials like that and either omit how "fragile" they are or explicitly disqualify those bits from warranty. I guess from their standpoint you shouldn't be doing anything while wearing the watch that would potentially damage it, but in the real world people tend to wear watches doing whatever they're doing. If they're going to use a material like that that can't stand up to everyday abuse, they need to disclose that to the buyer. Now, Victorinox does have good warrnaties for their other products, so it is entirely possible they might cover this for you, but you'll have to contact them and explain what the band is doing to find out.

Ordered the 809, with the help of a $50 Valentine's Day Amazon gift card.

I bought a ring with a similar finish (I guess) and it rubbed off just like you described. They really shouldn't use that finish, or if they do, explain that it's expected to wear quickly.

Had it for a month or so now and I really like it despite the fact the light is shit and that it makes exactly the same beeps than your 80's style casio Rubber Digital watch.

Woo Casio! I just picked up this up myself with a giftcard I got as a going away present from my old work:

SS-2011.02.14-16.13.39.jpg

I like the feel. I've worn a watch almost my entire life (except for a couple years in highschool.) This is my first metal bracelet though. Everything else has been Timex, and I'd like to think this is at least slightly more interesting. This will hopefully tide me over until I graduate and I can get a Seiko / Orient as a graduation present (probably to myself.)

Alright, I know I can?t expect much from a low-priced watch, but are Casios BAD or just cheap?
EF521BK1AVDFPic1.jpg

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't like the fact these sellers use materials like that and either omit how "fragile" they are or explicitly disqualify those bits from warranty. I guess from their standpoint you shouldn't be doing anything while wearing the watch that would potentially damage it, but in the real world people tend to wear watches doing whatever they're doing. If they're going to use a material like that that can't stand up to everyday abuse, they need to disclose that to the buyer. Now, Victorinox does have good warrnaties for their other products, so it is entirely possible they might cover this for you, but you'll have to contact them and explain what the band is doing to find out.
Certainly going to do that, I'll let you guys know what the end result is!

Very happy with it since 2007. Going to change the strap into a black one.
YCS429.jpg
What a coincidence, had the exact same one before my current watch! :D

Thanks to this thread I'm now shopping for watches, and now you have to help me decide. I've scrolled through about 1500 watches on Amazon and narrowed it down to these three:

Skagen 809XLTTM - $115
716lBRZxTKL._AA1200_.jpg

Obviously from the same family as the one above, I think this one is equally good looking while being less serious. I've just decided that I actually like it better than the 233, but the higher price makes me hesitate a bit.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 809, with the Moonface calling to me, and the 233 in the background, confident in its handsome self and lowest cost by a notable margin.

You all must fix this.

Oh, that's a good looking watch! Haven't worn a watch for many years, but now I'm actually considering it :p

And the fact that it's Danish design doesn't make it worse either ;)

Alright, I know I can?t expect much from a low-priced watch, but are Casios BAD or just cheap?
EF521BK1AVDFPic1.jpg

Just cheap, I've been through 4 casios in my life and the only reason I got rid of 2 of those was that I couldn't be bothered to get the bracelets replaced. 1 Got a busted screen and the other one is the one I have now.

And how was it? :)
Excellent, it's still working perfectly in the drawer. Although it does need a new strap, which you're already planning on getting.