WTF: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R loses power and choice of tranny on way to U.S.

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Not cool, VW, not cool. I suppose you can always reflash to get back that power (and more), but it seems weird that the power would decrease when it comes over here because the US tends to normally be limited to the more powerful engine choices (e.g. with Mercedes + BMW, etc.).

I don't mind about the lack the DSG though, means only real purists will end up buying it.

As part of its 2011 Geneva Motor Show festivities, Volkswagen is letting us loose behind the wheel of its range-topping Golf R, set to arrive in United States as a 2012 model. Production of the Stadeside-spec car begins at the automaker's Wolfsburg plant this November, and we've just learned how different our version of the Golf R will be from the model that's already on sale in Europe.

Don't worry ? we're still getting the same 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine mated to the company's fourth-generation Haldex 4Motion all-wheel-drive system. But while the European car cranks out 270 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, Volkswagen tells us that the U.S. car will produce something closer to 256 hp and 243 lb-ft (not yet confirmed). Still, that's 56 hp and 36 lb-ft more than the standard GTI, and since the Golf R is estimated to weigh around 3,300 pounds ? 250 pounds lighter than the most recent R32 ? the end result should be quite lively. Volkswagen is estimating that 0-62 mile-per-hour times will fall somewhere in the 5.7- to 5.9-second range.

As we reported earlier, the Golf R will only be offered with a six-speed manual transmission when it hits our shores. European cars can be had with Volkswagen's slick-shifting DSG unit, and we must admit, not offering the twin-clutch setup in the States seems like a curious omission, especially when you consider that the take rate on DSG in the less powerful GTI is around 50 percent. Still, Volkswagen says that its research with different enthusiast groups and dealers suggests that the vast majority of U.S. consumers have been clamoring for a row-your-own Golf R, and since the automaker had to keep the number of build options to a minimum in order to get the vehicle approved for American consumption, manual-only was the way they decided to go.

On the subject of reducing the number of build configurations, all U.S. Golf Rs will be outfitted almost exactly the same way. The only options available will be a choice of two and four doors, as well as a package that incorporates things like a sunroof, navigation, smart key and the Dynaudio sound system. We will not be able to spec the Golf R with the super-supportive motorsport-designed seats available in Europe (a ?3,800 option ? over $5,200 USD, for what it's worth), and all Golf R interiors will be leather only. Sadly, the Euro-spec LED taillamps will not be carried over to the U.S. Golf R, as well.

As for pricing, Volkswagen is targeting a base MSRP of around $33,000 ? right about where the 2008 R32 was priced. During the Golf R's run here in the U.S., Volkswagen hopes to move about 5,000 of the little hot hatches ? in total, not annually. If demand meets or exceeds supply, Volkswagen will have a better case for bringing a next-generation Golf R to our shores, as well. We'll be driving the Golf R later this week in Europe, so stay tuned for our full report.

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_03.jpg

No doubt a result of the differences in petrol.

I would quite like to know the reason behind not offering the DSG-box in the US.

Power drop is not too big of a deal, there are tunes for the standard GTI that bump the power up. I'm sure once this hits our shores APR, AWE and so on will get on it and give us some extra power out of that motor. It's a turbo after all, intake, exhaust and a chip will get you 50 HP easy... Also I suspect that power rating for the US model was done with 91 octane (thank you CA go fuck yourself) so 93 will be a bit more powerful.

Last edited:
We'll fuel definetly plays a role here. Mind you 95 Octane is the minimum you can put into a Golf R over here. They recommend 98.

We'll fuel definetly plays a role here. Mind you 95 Octane is the minimum you can put into a Golf R over here. They recommend 98.
This is a difference in calculation in the US we use AKI which is an average between MON and RON numbers so you end up with lower numbers in the US vs EU but in reality its same fuel grade.

The U.S. uses different octane ratings than Europe.

I don't mind about the lack the DSG though, means only real purists will end up buying it.

It is this sort of thing that drives me crazy. What is with all the DSG hate? I am not going to go into the pros and cons of a dual clutch box, but are the manual guys really so threatened that they feel the need to vilify it and its drivers? I am all for manual cars, everyone should have the option if they want it. But to say that just because you want a DSG Golf R you are in some way not a real car guy or purist as you say is absurd. My car gets autox'd twice a month, sees the track regularly, and is driven hard on a weekly basis. Hell I keep race tires in the corner of my dorm room as I dont have a garage. Does that really sound like someone who isnt a car guy and shouldn't own one as he/she has somehow sullied its sorting prowess as you imply.?

It is also so ironic that the manual side of the argument rejoices when a car only comes in a manual given how much they bitch when a car comes only without one. You would think they would be the people most behind there always being a choice. Also lets face it. This will hurt the sales of the car in the US. That just gives one more reason for VAG to keep all the good stuff to themselves in Europe. Why not just give people a choice and be happy with it, no need to vilify either side. Sorry for the rant but I am just sick of this attitude that seems to becoming more and more pervasive within the enthusiast community.

I like stick shifts, but I know DSGs are the future. No single clutch transmission can shift faster.

The GTI in Europe gets 210 bhp and not 200 as the US does, so with the R you loose about the same amount in percent... Gotta be something with emissions or fuel...

Different fuel in north america makes less power. no big deal

only available in manual transmission is awesome!, but as much as I LOVE manual transmissions.. it slightly bugs me that both aren't available. because it bugs me to no end when a car is only available in automatic.

Manual transmissions for life

For the first time Canada is getting a Golf R and they've tried as best as they can to ruin it.

Why the fuck are they not offering the LED tails? Those are the best thing about the R, appearance-wise.

Edit: Also, :lol: at lack of DSG making this car for "real purists" only. DSG fo' life y0.

Last edited:
What about the purists who want pure speed? Those purists who insist on manual are slow.

I advocate choosing trannies. They're the best of both worlds.

''loses power''
Has about 10 less horsepowers. :jc:
Srsly?

It is this sort of thing that drives me crazy. What is with all the DSG hate? I am not going to go into the pros and cons of a dual clutch box, but are the manual guys really so threatened that they feel the need to vilify it and its drivers? I am all for manual cars, everyone should have the option if they want it. But to say that just because you want a DSG Golf R you are in some way not a real car guy or purist as you say is absurd. My car gets autox'd twice a month, sees the track regularly, and is driven hard on a weekly basis. Hell I keep race tires in the corner of my dorm room as I dont have a garage. Does that really sound like someone who isnt a car guy and shouldn't own one as he/she has somehow sullied its sorting prowess as you imply.?

It is also so ironic that the manual side of the argument rejoices when a car only comes in a manual given how much they bitch when a car comes only without one. You would think they would be the people most behind there always being a choice. Also lets face it. This will hurt the sales of the car in the US. That just gives one more reason for VAG to keep all the good stuff to themselves in Europe. Why not just give people a choice and be happy with it, no need to vilify either side. Sorry for the rant but I am just sick of this attitude that seems to becoming more and more pervasive within the enthusiast community.

No, you're right, you have a point. I mean, it's true, owning a DSG doesn't mean you're any less of a car-enthusiast. I like DSG's myself, and I know they're the future. I say it more because I come from an affluent area where moms drive kids to the supermarket in S63's/S8's/M5's, etc, and it pisses me off because they have huge engines and drive 30mph in a 35 zone. Since this is only being offered as a manual, I know none of them will buy it because they're too lazy to drive a stick, so I know that at least one nice sports car in my area won't be as misused or unnecessarily purchased by people with too much money.

No, you're right, you have a point. I mean, it's true, owning a DSG doesn't mean you're any less of a car-enthusiast. I like DSG's myself, and I know they're the future. I say it more because I come from an affluent area where moms drive kids to the supermarket in S63's/S8's/M5's, etc, and it pisses me off because they have huge engines and drive 30mph in a 35 zone. Since this is only being offered as a manual, I know none of them will buy it because they're too lazy to drive a stick, so I know that at least one nice sports car in my area won't be as misused or unnecessarily purchased by people with too much money.

There will also be plenty of S63s/S8s/M5s available used with little abuse in a few years too.

Only 6 more horses than the MK5.... I will definitely be keeping my VR6 and DSG, thank you very much :D

I still prefer the exterior of the MK5 R32 to the MK6 as well.