Easiest way to fabricate engine mounts?

I like the Ecotec idea. It's truly different. A Camaro with a 302 would just be a trollmobile. As for weight, I'd think an Ecotec (even a boosted one) and its transmission would be significantly lighter than an iron head SBC drivetrain.

Indeed, the Ecotec swap is already starting to make sense to me now. It's at the top of my list at this point. The weight of the 2.2L Ecotec engine without the forced induction (or trans) is 350lbs versus the 305 V8 weight of 575lbs. That's about 200lbs off the front, that should significantly improve the handling and nose dive during hard braking. I'm all for using the Ecotec and then promptly doing some weight saving things like get lighter wheels, more aluminum parts, lighter seats in the front (no seats in the back), better lighter suspension and the lot to reduce weight. Imagine if I can get my car about 3,000lbs with full interior with the lot providing excellent nimble handling. That would tickle my fancy. :D

Anyway, whoever brought up cardboard templates is spot on. Get the SBC drivetrain out and hang the Ecotec drivetrain in there. I've seen people just use a bare engine block and a gutted transmission to make it easier to move around. But once it's in there it's much easier to take measurements and make some templates. Get it right and then trace the patterns to steel, cut 'em out, weld them together and ta-da: engine mounts.

I don't know what your budget is, but is you're pulling all that apart anyway (and wanting to shave weight) you could put an aftermarket tubular K-member in there. I've also seen tubular transmission crossmembers.

I'm really ignorant when it comes to suspensions and all this crossmember stuff. I have no idea what the best one would be for my application. Which is lighter car with flat cornering and relatively the same factory ride height. Ride quality itself is meaningless to me, it's a sportscar after all and not my daily driver. Thoughts?

Suspension tuning was wizardry to me up untill I read this book. I'd recomend trying to pick up a copy from your local automobilia store, or amazon or something.

Imagine if I can get my car about 3,000lbs with full interior with the lot providing excellent nimble handling. That would tickle my fancy. :D
That would definitely be kickass. I had an '85 with a 350/TH350; but no A/C, no t-tops, no emissions equipment, single exhaust, fiberglass hood and a cloth interior. It weighed about 3,200lbs wet. So 3,000lbs with an alloy 4 cylinder and manual trans should be achievable.

I'm really ignorant when it comes to suspensions and all this crossmember stuff. I have no idea what the best one would be for my application. Which is lighter car with flat cornering and relatively the same factory ride height. Ride quality itself is meaningless to me, it's a sportscar after all and not my daily driver. Thoughts?
That book JipJopJones posted is a great place to start. It's definitely dated, but still worth every penny. That was required reading when I started Formula SAE. As for crossmembers, the one from Hawks costs about $500 and only save 30lbs. Combined with their tubular A-arms it's 50lbs.

I forgot about the rear torque arm in those cars. You'll have to figure out a way to mount it to the transmission or crossmember.