YAHP: Yet Another Headphone Thread

But... I hijacked.
okay_face_RE_Demotivationals-s251x239-157585.jpg

Alright, so I found something that meets all of my requirements. They're from a company I despise, and branded by a rap artist, making them stupid, but they fit the bill perfectly. Unless they sound shit. They're Monster Beats Solo HD by Dr Dre, but taken from the "night shift" and sold on DealExtreme. I know they're nowhere close to worth retail(something like $200), but are they worth $75?

Last edited:
Well, a friend of mine has the Studio headphones and those have broken down twice in the past year, however he did get a replacement immediately. The Solo HD's are less complicated though, so they might be a bit more durable.

Alright, so I found something that meets all of my requirements. They're from a company I despise, and branded by a rap artist, making them stupid, but they fit the bill perfectly. Unless they sound shit. They're Monster Beats Solo HD by Dr Dre, but taken from the "night shift" and sold on DealExtreme. I know they're nowhere close to worth retail(something like $200), but are they worth $75?

Are those actual Dr.Dre beats but they can't say they are? or are they knockoffs? That site is confusing. If they're knockoffs they'll undoubtedly sound like shit.

From what I can figure, they're genuine, but didn't pass QC or something. Some people complained of unbalanced sound, but it turns out that pretty much all of then just needed to be taken apart and put back together properly.

Beware. They could be fake. I've had bad experience with Creative knock-offs in the past.

And I'd like to add to the thread. I recently bought my dad a present - Creative Aurvana X-Fi Noise-Cancelling headphones (Creative had a sale and they were only $130).
They are okay, but definitely not worth their price. Without the sound processing they are actually terrible. Once you turn on all their effects, the sound is quite decent and they are comfortable. They are a bit low on volume though. My dad doesn't have complaints about this, but I do. After all, I listen to Whitesnake...it needs to be loud :)

I was rather disappointed in my Creative Fata1ity set. I think I'm not going to risk the DX cans, $75 is too much for me to gamble.

I bought a set of Vic Firth over-ear isolation headphones. They sound fantastic and isolate perfectly (great for drumming), though they're kind of clunky to carry around, so I'm still looking a good pair of in-ear isolation headphones for everything else.

1000x4500px-LL-da3733d4_Portableheadphoneschartljokerl.png

Source: Head-Fi Forums.

Clearly, the ATH-M50 was the best advice given in this thread.

IEM Chart:

1000x5500px-LL-17b84ae6_IEMchartljokerl.png

Remember that sound quality is somewhat subjective.

Last edited:
Nice chart, thanks.

Bought these as well. Should be decent enough for everyday use without being big and clunky to carry around.

Last edited: